Apple TV 1st Gen vs Mac Mini setup

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by monty77, Sep 6, 2010.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2005
    UK, South Coast
    I know there's a price difference there (and quite a significant one) but I'm totally torn between 2 solutions.

I currently have:

Living Room
    Asus Revo 3610 running XBMC

Apple TV Gen 1 40Gb

Back room
    iTunes airport express streaming to speakers (using remote app to control)

..and a Hackintosh PC running 10.6 acting as a file/itunes server, I also have an AEBS.

XBMC in the living room is proving a pain at the moment and it's not very wife friendly. It is also a bit of a pain in the neck to keep music / photos synced between my main PC (iMac) and the server / ATV / XMBC client.

So I have put together 2 options:

Living room and bedroom both with 'old' ATVs with upgraded HDDs (so I can keep music / photos 100% in sync with iMac) and both running XBMC for video use. The Living room one with perhaps a crystal HD card to handle HD material.

...file / itunes server will be sold, as will the Asus. A hard drive connected to the AEBS will become the new file server for XBMC. Net cost to me is next to nothing and the only thing I lose will be permanent itunes streaming to the airport express when the iMac is off.

Second option is also to ditch the Asus / file server but to replace the LR setup with a Mac Mini which will double as an itunes / file server. Net cost is quite a few $$$ but I get a totally flexible media solution in the living room along with email/web/games if required. Bedroom ATV will stay and get a HDD upgrade to ensure photos/music are in sync.

With plex equipped LG BR players on the way soon I reluctant to drop a ton of cash on this project so perhaps the 2 ATV solution is the way to go??

Do others have similar setups? Was the Mac Mini way worth the $$$?