Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Guys,

I recently bought a new Apple TV. The colours go really funny every now and then, everything seems to be turning pink/purpleish (see attached photo).

I have tried different HDMI cables and ports, but the problem still occurs.

Has anybody else experienced this before?!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 951

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
1. Have you restored your Apple TV to see if that solves the issue?

2. Does this happen with any other devices plugged into the TV using HDMI (like a PS3 or Blu ray player)?

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ive read that some people solved this by getting updated firmware for their TVs. Not sure if your TV allows this or not but it would be worth checking.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
yeh just talked to apple care and they said that upgrading the tv firmware should solve it. so i did that and am now monitoring the situation… hopefully i won't see strange colours again!

cheers!

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
just from looking at that picture seems to be a RGB/709 color space issue. If your tv has settings for each hdmi input see if there is a setting for color space to toggle between RGB and 709.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
It's a Sony Bravia 32" KDL-BX300… I don't think I can change the colorspace, there doesn't seem to be any such option in the settings. :mad:

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
It's a Sony Bravia 32" KDL-BX300… I don't think I can change the colorspace, there doesn't seem to be any such option in the settings. :mad:

Basically, you're stuck. There is currently no known solution for the problem with many Sony and Phillips models including yours. Check out the long thread in the Apple support forum.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Basically, you're stuck. There is currently no known solution for the problem with many Sony and Phillips models including yours. Check out the long thread in the Apple support forum.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

it would appear you're right. Good thing I bought the TV less than 2 weeks ago so I'll return it tonight... it's clearly a Sony issue so will put it down as faulty. Got a Samsung replacement coming tomorrow morning. :)

Audiotic

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Same here witheet Philips TV!

Same here. Bought my Apple TV 2 in USA as they arent available in Holland yet. Every once in a while, and only temporarily, it shows this problem. As I have no issues on my TV with the other devices linkedin via HDMI, for me its an issue of THE Apple TV2. It is very annoying, hope Apple solves it soon.

Guys,

I recently bought a new Apple TV. The colours go really funny every now and then, everything seems to be turning pink/purpleish (see attached photo).

I have tried different HDMI cables and ports, but the problem still occurs.

Has anybody else experienced this before?!

gbfabiani

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Same problem in Italy with a Philips TV

I have the same problem, it last 20 to 50 seconds and than it caome back normal. It happens 2 times per half an hour I guess.....
I see that the one of us who initiated the chat is Fabian9, my name is Fabiani..... but I assume that has no influence, and hope someone find a fix:)

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

gbfabiani said:
I have the same problem, it last 20 to 50 seconds and than it caome back normal. It happens 2 times per half an hour I guess.....
I see that the one of us who initiated the chat is Fabian9, my name is Fabiani..... but I assume that has no influence, and hope someone find a fix:)

Lol I hope it's not name related!

rudivd

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2005
Same problem with ATV

Hi there,

I just hooked up my ATV G2 ios4 to my SONY KDL-32EX402, and it
also suddenly goes magenta-ish. Sometimes it returns to normal all
of a sudden, or else it turns to normal if switch HDMI input sources
on the TV..

Hope Apple comes with a fix in 4.2

Rudi

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Having spoken to apple customer service, they seem to blame Sony... Sony is blaming apple. So I'd be surprised if they came up with a solution together.

The issue seems to be isolated to Sony and panasonic (?) tvs judging by replies on the apple discussion forum.

chriso89

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
Norway
my apple tv didnt get this way before, but i updated it to 4.1 now and this happend to me too:( ****. have to change hdmi channels to get it back to normal!

jdbr

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
Northern Ireland, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No updating the firmware of the tv does not fix it and Apple know that. I don't know why they keep churning that old one out. I have spoken to Philips and they say it is an Apple problem. It seems to happen with certain PhiliPs and Sony models.
Apple have issued a faulty product. Replacing it, which will be their next suggestion does not solve the problem either.
There is a lot of discussion about this on the apple support forum. It is not the odd isolated incident! Bad apple for not fixing it or properly testing their product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.