Apple TV 2 Handbrake Setting

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by techguy40, Oct 3, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Anybody have a great setting to use on Handbrake for the new Apple TV?

2. macrumors 68000

Have you tried the nightly build?

3. ugp
    macrumors 65816

ugp

I've been using the AppleTV Preset and keeping everything the same for DVDs and with HD movies I slide the quality down to 18 from 20.

4. macrumors 601

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Too soon for this. The Handbrake guys are working with the :apple:TV in search of the ideal version. I'm sure they'll be an official :apple:TV2010 or :apple:TV2 Handbrake profile soon.

There's a lot going on inside this little box. Testing has it working so-so to great with even 1080p encodes (though currently it still pushes it out of the :apple:TV at 720p). Some tests suggest it can handle 720p60fps (which is also well above published specs), though people are less certain if it is pushing it out of the box at 720p60fps or switching it to 720p30fps. Etc. Like I said, there's a lot going on in there.

As the testing moves toward solid observations, I'm sure the Handbrake crew will crank out a profile(s) that maximizes what the new one can do.

5. macrumors 6502a

You could just use the iPad Preset since it's the exact same hardware as the Apple TV.

The High Profile preset is actually the best to use just make sure you set the resolution to 1280 by whatever.

The High Profile prest has all the bells and whistles nothing else you can add to make it any better.

The only thing i change is set the RF to 18.

6. macrumors 6502

So far I have had no problems with the preset for apple tv. The quality will vary also depending on the screen size of your tv.

7. macrumors 6502a

For the new Apple Tv might as well use the High Profile preset get the same quality with a smaller file size.

8. macrumors member

I've found that the HD settings found here work great.

9. macrumors 65816

agentphish

+1
    I've been using the 720p setting. Works great.

10. macrumors 6502a

That HD preset is not as good as the High Profile prest.

11. macrumors 68020

Exactly. The only reason the high profile setting was not used before was because the old ATV couldn't handle it. The Handbrake guys are recommending using the default high profile preset for now and changing the resolution to 1280. They'll be starting from the high profile setting and tweaking from there to improve on it to establish a new preset for the ATV2.

12. macrumors regular

The AppleTV can handle anamorphic HD content. So, you should make your 720p content 1280x720 and select the custom anamorphic setting. So long as "keep aspect ratio" is checked, handbrake will create a 720p file that plays great and keeps the original aspect ratio. The effective resolution will be something like 1733x720 as oppose to 1280x525

13. macrumors 6502a

The Apple tech spec state 1280 by 720, even though higher resolution can be played back on the Apple Tv it's no wise to encode higher than the tech spec state.

Just because the video plays today doesn't mean it will play tomorrow.

14. macrumors regular

i'm very happy with the setting I read on another thread:]

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11162856&postcount=189

15. macrumors member

NEBaghead

This setting has worked great for me. I had some stuttering before I enabled the vbv-maxrate=12000:vbv-bufsize=12000 advanced flag. I've been ripping my Harry potter blu-rays and they play smooth as butter with these settings.

16. macrumors member

so are you selecting the "High Profile" setting and then copy and pasting the string into the advanced tab?

Can't wait until there is a preset in Handbrake for the new ATV, messing with all the different filters and other settings is confusing

17. macrumors 601

tbayrgs

????

You think Apple is going to either release new hardware or firmware in the future with less capabilities than they currently have? If you've done any reading on these or the Handbrake forums you'd realize that the :apple:TV can handle more than those published specs and I'll go out on a limb an guarantee all of Apple's future hardware will be at least as capable.

This suggestion by tommylotto works great for anyone who is looking to get the most out a single encode. I watch my media on an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and a Mac Mini HTPC running PLEX. Using these settings allows me to get a version that will play on the lower resolution devices yet also plays at a higher resolution on the Mac Mini hooked up to a 1080p plasma. Considering it appears the new Apple TV can handle 1080p material, it may certainly be more worthwhile for some people to encode everything at 1080p but I still wouldn't have a version that would play on my smaller devices so for the time being, I'm using these settings.

18. macrumors 68000

I use the universal preset and ain't ripping BRs anyway.

19. macrumors member

NEBaghead

Yes. Also, i change the picture settings to 1280 and turn off all filters.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

How are you changing the picture resolution to 1280? It not letting me change it. I am making a backup of a SD DVD with the mac handbrake.

21. macrumors regular

Why would you even want to do that to a SD video?

22. thread starter macrumors regular

A little confuse, so what people are saying above is for HD blue ray?

For SD DVD backup, do i just pick High Profile and don't touch anything?

23. macrumors 6502a

Basically yes. You should just encode 30 secs of a dvd and see if you're happy with the results first.

Just ajust the audio and subtitles to your liking

24. macrumors newbie

Old and new ATV

I have both the new, and old ATV's to account for on my network.

So I just use the AppleTV preset, for SD, and for HD/BR rips use that preset and switch off anamorphic and set to 1280 with keep aspect ratio selected.

It is OK, but maybe there are other options ?

25. macrumors 6502a

If you need your file to work on both Apple TV you can use the Apple TV preset and chagne the advanced string to:

mixed-refs=1:b-adapt=2:b-pyramid=none:trellis=0:weightp=0:vbv-maxrate=5500:vbv-bufsize=5500

This was offered by someone on the handbrake forums and it works very very well.