Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Ok, I'm by no means a noob at jailbreaking and systems. However, I downloaded and ran the latest Pwnage 4.1.2 to JB the new Apple TV. I have the unit connected via a Micro-USB adapter to Mini-USB Cable into a rear USB slot in my Mac Pro (I also plugged it in just in case it needed the extra power). After Pwnage created the custom IPSW it waits for the Apple TV to be detected, yet for some reason it is not recognizing it. I've tried other ports/cables/etc to no avail.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Ok, I'm by no means a noob at jailbreaking and systems. However, I downloaded and ran the latest Pwnage 4.1.2 to JB the new Apple TV. I have the unit connected via a Micro-USB adapter to Mini-USB Cable into a rear USB slot in my Mac Pro (I also plugged it in just in case it needed the extra power). After Pwnage created the custom IPSW it waits for the Apple TV to be detected, yet for some reason it is not recognizing it. I've tried other ports/cables/etc to no avail.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

are you putting the atv2 in DFU mode when it asks. You have to hold down menu and down for 6 seconds the hold menu and play/pause

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
yeah, I've done all those methods.

At the risk of coming off completely stupid, I don't have it hooked up to a TV while I am doing this as there is no TV near my Mac Pro, I'm following the guidelines based on the lights on the front of the Apple TV.

After pressing Menu+Down for 6 seconds, it turns on to a flashing white light. Then I hold Menu+Play and neither Pwnage nor iTunes detects an Apple TV in DFU mode.

Is it necessary to have visual display of the Apple TV while doing this?

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
If I remember correctly, I started pwnagetool, had it build the ipsw, then plugged in the appletv via USB when it told me to. I know I did not have the hdmi cable plugged in. I know I had the power cable, USB and possibly Ethernet. Pwnagetool instructed me to connect the appletv, and then it informed me to remove the power cable. I think that's when it guided me into DFU. I didn't have to do the menu+down part, just the menu+play and that did it. From what I've read, I think you have to let pwnagetool put the device into DFU, you can't do it manually for some reason. I basically just followed the onscreen prompts.

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
If I remember correctly, I started pwnagetool, had it build the ipsw, then plugged in the appletv via USB when it told me to. I know I did not have the hdmi cable plugged in. I know I had the power cable, USB and possibly Ethernet. Pwnagetool instructed me to connect the appletv, and then it informed me to remove the power cable. I think that's when it guided me into DFU. I didn't have to do the menu+down part, just the menu+play and that did it. From what I've read, I think you have to let pwnagetool put the device into DFU, you can't do it manually for some reason. I basically just followed the onscreen prompts.

all you need to do is plug in your apple tv to the computer, Nothing else, and try it again, once you do that Itunes will see your apple tv, Remember no Power cord or ethernet cable connected to the apple tv, Just your Usb Cable and apple tv, to Computer.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I'm suspecting that the micro-USB adapter is the culprit as I tried it on my 6-Core Pro running 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.0.0.1 and iTunes Beta, then on an iMac running 10.6.4 and iTunes 10.0.0.1. The Apple TV when connected via micro-USB adapter to mini-USB cable indicates power, but for some reason it's not recognized by Pwnage/iTunes. Gonna get another cable and try again.

Thanks everyone for your help!

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Got it working! TUrns out it was a bad USB cable. Thanks everyone!

Now I can't wait for the jailbreaking App race to commence!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.