Apple Tv (2nd Gen) to old square tv...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by adammusic, Nov 22, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2007
    Is there a way to connect apple tv to an old tv. It has only the 3 colored stereo inputs red yellow white. Im reading places that the hdmi cable to rca wont work. That I need one of those converter boxes. The illegal ones that don't copyright so it works.

Can i plug from HDMI on the ATV into HDMI on my comcast cable box?
  2. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012

The cable box' HDMI is OUTPUT, can't send HDMI signal TO it.

Yes there are converters, BUT more expensive than it's worth (hundreds) and result awful.

Look at the Black Friday's flyers. Cheap TV everywhere. How exactly poor are u? :confused:
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2007
    lol. well i was gonna get a new vizio with the built in apps, which would make apple tv useless basically. So i want to get it to work now for the time being. & also pretty broke.
  4. macrumors 68020

Nov 2, 2006
    Your Comcast box won't pass through audio and video from your AppleTV to your TV.

Sorry, it's not designed to do so.

Best Buy is having a Black Friday deal at midnight tonight for $180 on a 40" Toshiba LCD. Grab one of those and an HDMI cable and call it a day.
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2012
  6. macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2008
    +1 for this exact product.

I've been using it with my jailbroken Apple TV 2 for the past year. Works just fine and for only $35 it is way cheaper than buying a new TV.

Those darn CRT TV's just won't die, will they?! I want to replace mine but can't justify the cost at the moment.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2007
  8. macrumors 68040

Probably a HDMI to Composite converter.
  9. macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    Yes, I would also like to know the exact product. I have HDTV, but only has component inputs, and also DVI input (old Sony KDF60XBR950). I would love to get an ATV 3, but keep hearing conflicting info on converters.

10. macrumors 68040

If you have an DVI input on the HDTV, all you need is a simple HDMI to DVI adapter cable. If you only have a component input, you'll need a converter though.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2006
    He would also need a DAC to route the audio to, since DVI doesn't do sound and ATV doesn't do analogue audio. Or he could buy a 1G ATV.