Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I've read several threads here regarding Handbrake encodes and the Apple TV 3, but I am still confused regarding the audio track. The Apple TV 3 preset has two tracks. Track #1 is using the AAC Codec and DD Pro Logic II Mixdown; while Track #2 uses the AC3 Codec and either AC3 Passthru (AC3 Source) or 6-channel discrete (DTS Source) Mixdown.

I have the ATV3 connected via HDMI to my Sony TV and connected to my Onkyo receiver via optical. My question is, how do I know whether my Onkyo AVR is automatically using audio Track 2? If it isn't automatic, can I manually set the ATV3 to output audio Track 2 via optical?

Thanks.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I've read several threads here regarding Handbrake encodes and the Apple TV 3, but I am still confused regarding the audio track. The Apple TV 3 preset has two tracks. Track #1 is using the AAC Codec and DD Pro Logic II Mixdown; while Track #2 uses the AC3 Codec and either AC3 Passthru (AC3 Source) or 6-channel discrete (DTS Source) Mixdown.

I have the ATV3 connected via HDMI to my Sony TV and connected to my Onkyo receiver via optical. My question is, how do I know whether my Onkyo AVR is automatically using audio Track 2? If it isn't automatic, can I manually set the ATV3 to output audio Track 2 via optical?

Thanks.
I don't have an Onkyo, but my AVR display shows Dolby Digital Pro Logic (or possibly stereo) when using track 1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 when using track 2.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't have an Onkyo, but my AVR display shows Dolby Digital Pro Logic (or possibly stereo) when using track 1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 when using track 2.

Yeah, I thought it should DD Pro Logic. Do you know of a way to switch audio tracks in an ATV3? I've read that holding down the Select button during playback would give me the option to switch audio tracks, but it didn't work for me last night.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Yeah, I thought it should DD Pro Logic. Do you know of a way to switch audio tracks in an ATV3? I've read that holding down the Select button during playback would give me the option to switch audio tracks, but it didn't work for me last night.
You probably have the Settings>Dolby Digital set to Auto. It seems that you need to set that to On in order for DD to be sent over the optical connection. Then it will play DD, but you will probably need to hold the select button to choose the other track if you ever want the sound to go through the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.