Apple TV 3 Plex

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by recanayo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2013
    I have a question regarding Plex on the Apple TV 3. Can i access my movies from plex on the apple tv directly from a hard drive connected to an Airport extreme without going through a computer? (I have a macbook air and i dont want to have it on every time i want to access the hard drive) :confused:
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 14, 2004
    Nope. The Plex Media Server must be installed and running on a computer, NAS, or Drobo if you want to use PlexConnect on your Apple TV.

3. shwc, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2005
    Actually yes you can.

EDIT: never mind I just read the "without going through a computer" part of the OP.

As of very recently, you can access your plex material from your apple tv3 (as well as 2) without jailbreaking the apple TV. Visit the plex forums and look for plex connect.

here is a video of it in action
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The best way to do it honestly is how I do it now: use an iOS device to AirPlay to the ATV. You could also use a Mac, but it's much easier to use my iPhone to stream it. Works really well!
  5. macrumors member

Oct 1, 2012
    plex works best with a mac or pc that's always running. other configurations will always be 2nd rate to this preferred deployment. added 3 apple tv's, a roku, and refurbished ipod touch with the $5 plex app for less than $500.