Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
This is my first streaming device of any sort. I'm still toying around, but I have noticed that on the good side, my stereo cabinet just got nearly totally empty. Where I used to have a receiver, Cd player, DVD player, Blu ray player and VCR, I now have a receiver and Blu ray player and damned nigh invisible ATV. Dunno what I'll do with all the space! Another plus was the ease of setup, and everything seems to work just fine.

However, for some reason the music I stream from the computer sounds a little... thin, for failure of a better word. Is there an easy explanation. I always run my EQ flat, and up to now, it's been fine. Here I feel like I need to punch the mids and lows a little.

Getting around iTunes using the included ATV remote is tedious beyond belief. Using the iPod Touch is FAR better, but still a little hard to figure.

I can't seem to favourite radio shows (someone said earlier this feature is in fact there--hold down play and it'll fav. Haven't tried this yet). I can't get the genius feature to work for some reason.

Questions from the living room streaming n00b:

Does my internet bandwidth take a hit at all when streaming from iTunes? I know it will for Movie rentals, flickr anf YouTube browsing and the like, but everything already on the HDD of the computer I'm streaming from doesn't impact it, right?

Also, about how much bandwidth does internet radio eat? I have a feeling we'll be using that a lot, but I'm worried it'll make me hit my 95G/mo limit.

Any thought appreciated...

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I can't answer all of your questions, but streaming from iTunes doesn't affect your broadband usage as t's all in your network.

As for the radio, I'm not sure what quality this is, but just look at the file size of the music on your iTunes. One GB of broadband useage would give you a lot of streaming audio (I'd say over a day depending on bitrate).

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I can't answer all of your questions, but streaming from iTunes doesn't affect your broadband usage as t's all in your network.

As for the radio, I'm not sure what quality this is, but just look at the file size of the music on your iTunes. One GB of broadband useage would give you a lot of streaming audio (I'd say over a day depending on bitrate).

Thank you... those were the main things. :) I thought that local net streaming should be OK. I didn't expect just pulling audio from the 'net to be as onerous a deal as video is at 1G/hour or so, but one never knows. I imagine the bit rate of streaming internet audio isn't all that high.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
It seems that every time I reset my time capsule, I need to renter my wifi info in my appletv. Anyone else experience this?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Do Movies (from your library in Computers) still have the ability to sort by Genre Folders? Is that the folders that is missing?
Can you still sort by unwatched?
Can you still bring up the options to turn subtitles On/Off?
Can you still see all the Tagged Chapter names and go direct to a movie chapter?

KD35

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Missing content-while looking at the remote app.

Have any of you noticed that not all of your albums/artists are listed on your remote, while you are looking at the library through the remote app??

I have tons of albums in my library, and it only shows like 40 albums...

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Also it fails to alphabetize by the usual  convention of ignoring "The" and "A". They had it right on the original TV.

Along the same lines, if you have more than 9 seasons of a show it sorts it numerically instead of in increasing order like the old AppleTV would do. For example on the new AppleTV the listing would be:
Season 1
Season 10
Season 11
Season 2
Season 3

Hopefully these quirks get resolved quicker than they did on the original.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
That's what Airplay is for. Except now they won't even have to type in a 4 number code. :apple:

Yeah but there's no indication that AirPlay for video content is coming to computers, only devices running iOS 4.2

So if I have a video on my laptop and go to my parent's place and want to show them the video, I would need their iTunes Store account ID and password because that's the only way to have my laptop appear on the new AppleTV.

Unless I've missed something massive and Steve said that AirPlay for video was coming to iTunes 10.1 so I could start playing a video on my laptop, hit the AirPlay button and stream it to the AppleTV? That only works for music at the moment.

Can anyone clear this up? Can you PUSH video FROM a computer TO an AppleTV?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Do Movies (from your library in Computers) still have the ability to sort by Genre Folders? Is that the folders that is missing?
Can you still sort by unwatched?
Can you still bring up the options to turn subtitles On/Off?
Can you still see all the Tagged Chapter names and go direct to a movie chapter?

Yes, these options all still work.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Has missing HD symbol for high def content been mentioned?

I have noticed a general step backward in how file metadata is handled. (Particularly in default sorting and ability to recognize attributes in Itunes.)

Scrambled playlists, TV Seasons showing up separately, no ability to recognize nested movies, (referenced in the OP.)

The original Apple TV got it right in these areas.

Please fix this.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Yeah but there's no indication that AirPlay for video content is coming to computers, only devices running iOS 4.2

So if I have a video on my laptop and go to my parent's place and want to show them the video, I would need their iTunes Store account ID and password because that's the only way to have my laptop appear on the new AppleTV.

Unless I've missed something massive and Steve said that AirPlay for video was coming to iTunes 10.1 so I could start playing a video on my laptop, hit the AirPlay button and stream it to the AppleTV? That only works for music at the moment.

Can anyone clear this up? Can you PUSH video FROM a computer TO an AppleTV?

You can’t currently because the Apple TV is running iOS 4.1, but it’s coming. I would imagine they’ll use this as a replacement for the previous “sharing” feature of the old Apple TV that required a passcode. I don’t think Apple would gimp AirPlay on the Mac/PC to only support audio. That would pretty stupid considering they’re trying to get third-parties to adopt it.

Right now, AirPlay only appears in iTunes. It would be awesome if they would role it out in QuickTime also just like on the iPad.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Inconsistent handling of subtitles. Subtitles display correctly when file is first played or paused, but disappear after a few seconds, and do not return.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
No iTunes music store.

I sort-of makes sense: Since there's no local storage now, there's nowhere to store purchases. That said, I sometimes used to explore the music store on my old apple tv.

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
Metadata

Release year for movies is no longer displayed. Also, I find it really annoying that you can only sort by Genre. I'd like to sort/search by year, director, actor, nation of production, etc.

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
Has missing HD symbol for high def content been mentioned?

I have noticed a general step backward in how file metadata is handled. (Particularly in default sorting and ability to recognize attributes in Itunes.)

Scrambled playlists, TV Seasons showing up separately, no ability to recognize nested movies, (referenced in the OP.)

The original Apple TV got it right in these areas.

Please fix this.

I still see the HD. Do you have it tagged in the metadata?

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
I still see the HD. Do you have it tagged in the metadata?

I never needed to tag anything myself before. The old apple tv just recognized content as HD and placed the HD symbol there, without any intervention from me.

This doesn't happen with the new Apple Tv.

Netflix doesn't display the HD symbol either. (granted, different situations, but still interesting to note)

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
I never needed to tag anything myself before. The old apple tv just recognized content as HD and placed the HD symbol there, without any intervention from me.

This doesn't happen with the new Apple Tv.

Netflix doesn't display the HD symbol either. (granted, different situations, but still interesting to note)

I see. That is lame.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Photo Slideshows?

Does anyone else notice that photo slideshows no longer have the option of randomizing your photo library collection during the screensaver? It seems to put everything in chronological order, and I no longer see the "random" option in the screensaver section.

Plus, our entire photo library does not seem to show up, only a good 2-3 years worth. Maybe that's due to the lack of space on this new ATV?

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Does anyone else notice that photo slideshows no longer have the option of randomizing your photo library collection during the screensaver? It seems to put everything in chronological order, and I no longer see the "random" option in the screensaver section.

Plus, our entire photo library does not seem to show up, only a good 2-3 years worth. Maybe that's due to the lack of space on this new ATV?

I am syncing with Aperture and not iPhone.

I am getting my entire photo library on the ATV.

With screensaver, there is no random option which is frustrating. However, with Aperture, nothing is in chronological order but is randomized by default in ATV screensaver mode.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I hate it how it doesn't display the photos in alphabetical order.

Why can't it just mirror the folder structure i have in Aperture.

The Apple TV e while the performance of the unit is 1000% better than the original the UI is poor.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
I am syncing with Aperture and not iPhone.

I am getting my entire photo library on the ATV.

With screensaver, there is no random option which is frustrating. However, with Aperture, nothing is in chronological order but is randomized by default in ATV screensaver mode.

Please don't tell me I have to buy Aperature now in order to get randomized photos!

Can you or someone pls do me a favor and put your screensaver on "floating" and see if you notice duplicate photos between floating pics? That's what I see on the new ATV vs old ATV...That to me says that ATV2 is not storing all photos in an album/event, just *some* of them.

Unless Apple fixes this, I'll have to say ATV2 is a downgrade from the perspective of a photo buff like me!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Hurm. Noticed today that the Remote.app doesn't wake the Apple TV from sleep. That's very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.