Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the new fourth-generation Apple TV just a couple days away on Friday, October 30, the first batch of reviews for the new set-top box have arrived online. Most sites have come away with positive impressions of the new Apple TV, noting that Siri is extraordinary helpful and the inclusion of tvOS and apps give the device a lot of potential for the future.

BuzzFeed says that the biggest new feature on the Apple TV, the new Siri Remote, is a "drastic" improvement over the remote included with previous Apple TV remotes. The touchpad is "surprisingly accurate and easy" to use for pinpointing certain moments during a film or TV show. The universal search via Siri, however, will have longtime Apple TV users "resenting Apple for not enabling it sooner." Siri, according to BuzzFeed, is both useful and clever.
"Rewind 30 seconds," "Show me Anchorman," and "Who directed this?" all work well. And thanks to "What did he say?" -- which skips back to replay a character's comment with closed captioning, I finally know what Benicio Del Toro's character was mumbling in The Usual Suspects. ("I said he'll flip you. ...Flip you. Flip ya for real." Kind of a letdown. Don't even get me started on Lost in Translation.) Also: For a few glorious moments last night I was able to taunt my wife by repeatedly what-did-he-saying a favorite moment in Blue Velvet.
While The Verge also enjoyed Siri on the Apple TV, saying that the execution is "among the best in the game," they noted that there are several limitations in place. Siri only works with a handful of apps at the moment, including Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, HBO and Showtime. However, The Verge does mention that a Siri search API is on the way.

On apps, The Verge says that most tvOS apps are currently just very large iPhone apps. There are few apps that take advantage of TV, though they do note that apps like the QVC app show the potential of the new Apple TV and tvOS.
The QVC app is the only app that really and truly blends television with interactivity: it shows you a live feed of QVC, and it overlays the familiar information box on the left side of the screen with a buy button. So you're watching the regular QVC TV channel, and you can just click to buy, or swipe down to see more photos of the item and related items while the video keeps playing.
Mashable notes that setting up the Apple TV is extremely simple and easy if the user has an iPhone with iOS 9.1 installed.
Simply plug the Apple TV into HDMI and power and then use the Bluetooth connection from your iPhone or iPad to share information such as iCloud and iTunes Account preferences and your WiFi password.
However, Yahoo Tech says that while Siri and the new setup process make things simpler, users will still have plenty of text entry to do on the new device. Users still have to enter their user information in certain apps that require authentication, like Hulu or HBO Go. Unfortunately, Yahoo Tech's David Pogue says that the new on-screen keyboard is far more difficult and "excruciating" to use than the previous on-screen keyboard.

Finally, BuzzFeed mentions that the new Apple TV accessory, the Remote Loop, which is intended to keep the new remote from flying out of the hands of new Apple TV users who want to play games, is better used in another way.
But frankly, the loop is better used as a means of locating and rescuing the diminutive remote after it's gone missing between couch cushions. I've used it for this purpose at least three times so far, and given the loop's utility for this sort of thing, it's puzzling that Apple doesn't view it as a crucial part of the remote, instead selling it as a silly $13 accessory.
The new fourth-generation Apple TV is available for pre-order now and will be available in Apple Stores this Friday. It's available for $149 for a 32 GB version and $199 for a 64 GB version.

Other reviews: CNET, USA Today, Re/code, The Wall Street Journal.

Article Link: Apple TV 4 Reviews: Siri is Helpful and There's Loads of Potential

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Dev units still don't have an App Store. Here's hoping that these units are fully functioning and not intentionally crippled by Apple.

Reactions: galrito

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Any idea when Friday starts in Apple land ? I fly out of JFK at 9am on Friday but for sure I can be at Apple on 5th at around 00:01 on Friday morning.......

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
It's an Apple Wii with free/$0.99 games for $149. This doesn't have to be "magical" to succeed or sell. Also, this is not the last Apple TV they will ever release, but it certainly is a substantial update and a step in the right direction.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
"and given the loop’s utility for this sort of thing, it’s puzzling that Apple doesn’t view it as a crucial part of the remote, instead selling it as a silly $13"
They can't know Apple too well, just another money grab.
Is the Lightning connection strong enough to hold the loop in place when the force is strong enough to throw the remote towards your TV?

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
The omission of optical audio out is a deal breaker. I just don't want to upgrade my A/V stack to support this right now.

Really too bad, I would've been totally on board for day 1.

That said, if Elgato ever gets around to putting an Eye TV app on it I may be forced to drop some money on a new HDMI capable receiver.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The delivery of my new Apple TV can't get here fast enough.

IMHO the "future" Apple will show us will come when they have their own live TV package. Then they will be able put their unique touch on TV

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
The omission of optical audio out is a deal breaker. I just don't want to upgrade my A/V stack to support this right now.

Really too bad, I would've been totally on board for day 1.

That said, if Elgato ever gets around to putting an Eye TV app on it I may be forced to drop some money on a new HDMI capable receiver.

Can't you just get a $25 adapter to tide you over?

Reactions: jettredmont

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Ugh. No native Siri support for 3rd party apps like Plex out of the box. Way to announce the deal killer after you have my money.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Ugh. No native Siri support for 3rd party apps like Plex out of the box. Way to announce the deal killer after you have my money.

This was talked about fairly often once the SDK got into the hands of developers.

Reactions: V.K.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.