Apple TV 6.1 Software Update Makes Hiding Channels Easier

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 10, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the launch of iOS 7.1, Apple today updated its Apple TV software to version 6.1, adding a much-requested feature that allows users to hide unwanted channel icons from the main screen without needing to access the Parental Controls menu. The hiding feature joins an already existing rearranging feature, letting users further customize their Apple TV home screens as the number of channels has grown significantly in recent months.

[​IMG]
    Arranging or hiding icons can be initiated by selecting an item in the main menu and then pressing and holding on the Select button of the remote control until the icon jiggles, much as how icon rearranging functions within iOS. Icons can be moved using directional buttons, with Play/Pause available for more options.

[​IMG]
    The Apple TV software was last updated to version 6.0.1 in October, following the release of the 6.0 software in September, which brought several new features including iTunes Radio and AirPlay from iCloud. Earlier this week, the Apple TV gained a new iTunes Festival channel ahead of SXSW.

Users can download the Apple TV 6.1 software through the Apple TV's over-the-air update mechanism found in Settings --> General --> Software Update.

Apple has also updated the Remote app for iOS devices to version 4.2, adding a feature that allows users to browse purchased movies and TV shows within the app and then play them on the Apple TV. The update also includes the ability to control iTunes Radio on the Apple TV and offers bug fixes and stability improvements. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple TV 6.1 Software Update Makes Hiding Channels Easier

2. Sky Blue, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

Sky Blue

Yay, finally.

jiggles is a fun word.

3. macrumors 65816

musika

Add this feature to iOS for iPhone and iPad!

4. macrumors regular

awesome!

5. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Finally! No more annoying posts about not being able to hide apps (when you could, in a convoluted way)!

6. macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Can successfully say I've already updated here in the UK.

The hiding feature works nicely and easily as ever.

7. pmz
    macrumors 68000

I'm going to turn on my AppleTV and see how long it takes to auto-update.

I've yet to see that work on AppleTV.

8. macrumors regular

dearfriendx

Sweet! An easy way for a grown man to hide 8 Disney channels

9. macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I wonder what Apple will do on Apple TV Software later...

10. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I completely agree! Finally, we can put NewStand in a folder, but I'd like to hide some of those apps entirely! If they can't be uninstalled, please just let us hide the icon from view.

Long overdue on the AppleTV!

11. macrumors 65816

Does this update also fix the Netflix glitch where it snaps back to SD?:confused:

Also did they finally fix the authorization for HBO Go so Charter Communications would finally let us it on Apple TV (Charter says it is on Apples end yeah I know :rolleyes:).

12. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Neato.

Now release an App Store and a dope 4th gen AppleTV :D

13. macrumors regular

You have to turn on auto-update in the "Software Updates" section of settings.

14. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Those are both ISP related issues in most cases unfortunately...

15. macrumors 6502a

chainprayer

Safari feels.... oh sorry, wrong device.

16. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Bring the updates on Apple!

17. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

I must have had mine set to Auto-Update.
    I remember one time hearing about an update and thinking I needed to go and update the AppleTV to see the new stuff and when I turned it on, it was already updated and had the new channels.

18. pmz
    macrumors 68000

Indeed. It is.

19. macrumors 6502a

olowott

and the updates keep on coming :D

20. macrumors 65816

You are telling tell it to them I tried telling them that do I need to start some riot to get their attention? All 3 are at fault: Charter Communications, Apple and Netflix all 3 are greedy company but have no choice to except and deal with their childish attitudes.:mad:

21. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Job's breakthrough TV interface is to just treat each TV show as a podcast and stream them on demand? Seems to be the way the Apple TV is going.

Anyway, nice to see the ability to hide items. I wish they updated the Remote app so you can do it much more easily.

22. macrumors 65816

Much needed feature add

23. macrumors 6502a

BRB, hiding 80% of all icons...

24. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I think that's what he had in mind. All that's left is we need to stop paying the cable companies for access and be able to just pay $10/month/channel. I'll take Fox (for Family Guy and American Dad), Food Network (for fiancée), and I think there's another channel my fiancée would want (E! ? Not sure what the other channel she watches is). Oh, and CC for South Park, of course.

That would be $40/month. Much better than what I'm paying right now for hundreds of channels I don't want just so I can have the four I want.

25. macrumors regular

Seriously lol. I use like, 8 of those total, maybe.