Apple TV A Gaming Platform?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a recent interview with Wired, Greg Canessa, the ex-General Manager of XBox Live Arcade, and now Vice President of video game platforms at PopCap games indicates that his role at PopCap will be to help proliferate their games onto multiple platforms, including the Apple TV.

Currently, Apple specifically states that games designed for the iPod will not play on the Apple TV. However, the apparent slip-up is reminiscent of previous claims by analyst Jesse Tortora that Apple will begin to compete in the video game console market to counter pressure from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo to dominate the living room.

2. macrumors 603

roland.g

That would be interesting to see. But it's 5th on my list behind movies, music, photos, and trailers.

3. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seeing Apples "excellent" gaming reputation I can't see it happening, it would be far more sensible to partner with another player in the game already (most likely Nintendo) to make a device that does both.

4. macrumors 6502a

I'm enjoying my Wii too much to care. But, I'd definitely have to take a look at it :apple:

5. macrumors 68040

ghall

Apple will be crushed like a bug in the video game market. Apple will need to partner up with Nintendo if they are going to make any sort of impact on the industry.

Edit: I will probably eat my words in a year or so.

6. macrumors 68020

Raid

Well since I'm in the "The :apple: TV needs more functionality" camp, any added feature is a blessing, though IMHO a PVR/TiVo like ablity would target a broader customer base. But right now I don't think it's really in the cards with iTunes actually selling shows I could record if I had an :apple: PVR. :(

7. macrumors 68040

Telp

I'd love to see Apple team up with Sony. That would be one kick ass system. :D

8. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Don't forget those apple-ps3 rumors. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think Apple would be spreading themselves too thin if they entered into this market. Computers, fine - MP3 players, fine - STBs, fine - phones, sure, give it a go - but gaming as well? On the one hand it would be in alignment with Apple's new corporate name and implied direction, however as a company Apple can only do so much - or more specifically, can only do so much and do it well. :cool:

10. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I suppose it's possible. After all the :apple:TV is essentially a Network Computer with Video outs and an HD.

It does have a USB port, lots can be done with that.

the ecosystem could be that you DL games from iTunes, the :apple:TV will sync them in, and you'd have a Belkin controller hooked to a USB hub connected to the device - don't see why not.

11. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, it wouldn't be too bad it that was their delivery strategy and the scope was contained to existing and/or simpler games, however I still don't know if this would be a good idea. Macs, Leopard, other software, iPods, the AppleTV and most notably the iPhone - let's just say Apple has a lot on their plate right now and I'd hate to see one of their product lines start slipping due to yet another initaitive such as this.

But hey, if they can pull it off, good for them! ;)

12. macrumors 65816

Seasought

Bah, I just want to see an OS X native EVE Online client (or Linux/BSD in general for that matter).

13. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If Apple was smart they would team up with Microsoft, there are a zillion games for the platform and just as many coming. Apple history with games .......well sucks turds and thats being nice. Who the heck is going to run out for Apple TV when it cant even play TV as far as I can tell? Then expect it to be a game platform? Please.

14. macrumors member

i can tell the future

I wrote all about this a long time ago and all of you laughed at me and said it would never happen and asked me if I was drunk and what I was smoking. Who's smoking now!? thanks shard

click here

15. macrumors 68020

apple would never team up with microsoft and i personally think had :apple: stuck with Ibm i think we would be running osX as well as linux on ps3 right now and also would belive that :apple: tv would be a add on for both right now imagine the possibltys :)

16. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Pippin yet! :eek: :p ;) :D

[​IMG]

17. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would love to Apple enter this market.....but i think it would be tough for them. who knows though

18. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know, how is it? :confused:

:p :cool:

19. macrumors 6502

come on apple, you know you want to team up with nintendo.. come on, do it. DO IT!

20. macrumors 6502a

vincebio

too much too fast for apple i think....a mac now and then would be good as well

21. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Okay, putting pop-cap games onto the appleTV is no more "entering into the home console market" than putting them on the iPod is trying to compete against the DS or PSP. It's just a couple of simple games to pass the time.

22. macrumors member

ok so what I was smoking...

23. macrumors newbie

I can't imagine Apple TV will ever be a competiter to the big game platforms. Boxes like XBOX 360 and PS3 are almost full-blown computers. Apple TV is a wireless video adapter for your HDTV. If the rumors that it will push your desktop to the TV are true, then it'd be a simple matter to push your Mac games there too. All you'd need is a wireless controller.

24. macrumors P6

Peace

Apple Computer,Inc. is now Apple,Inc. so who knows.

25. macrumors regular

J Radical

Unless the :apple: TV has a graphics chip, a fair amount of RAM and a speedy processor this will never happen. The thing doesn't even have an optical drive FFS.

Teaming up with nintendo would be the only way to go, but I can't see it happening. If you want to make :apple: TV dominate the living room give it a bigger HD and use it as a home server.