Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I am thinking the same. Instead of paying $100/month to a cable company to access 500 channels that I don't watch, I would sooner pay, say, $5/month each to subscribe to, I dunno, HBO, Discovery Channel, Food Network, etc. Some channels could command more than others based on their programming demand.

Maybe this is what Steve's big idea was. Everyone could access only and exactly what they want to see, pay for only those channels, and get them streamed directly. Add to that some PVR or on-demand scheduling/streaming, and you've got the perfect way to watch whatever you want, whenever you want.
I've cut the cable.

$8/mo Netflix covers a bunch of random stuff.

I pay for Hulu, for one reason alone. Comedy Central. Colbert and Stewart. $8/mo. Which I can technically get for free from their websites anyway. But Hulu is so damned convenient I still pay.

If I could get HBO for $8. I'd be set. $24/mo TV covered. Might even drop Netflix.

NBC, FOX, CNN, ABC, CW, PBS and others, get about 30 channels and subchannels tuneable over the air out of a dinky hang on the wall hidden behind TV antenna.

Scyanide

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Melbourne, FL
It is open to developers via AirPlay.

Don't know why one would want an increase in cost associated with built-in processing power when that processing power is in their iPhone/iPad/iPad Mini already.

You know, I've shown this same image to SOOOOOOO many Android/Microsoft fanboys claiming they can do such things and that iOS can't. We've had the ability for a long time now but Apple doesn't really push it or market it so we don't hear about it often. Nor do we see many games that take advantage of it.

I've got a few Microsoft fanboy friends that make a big deal out of SmartGlass saying it was going to change everything and how innovative it was. When I showed them what AirPlay is capable of with gaming and told them how not many people give a crap about it. They were like "Oh..."

AirPlay could do this for years but we now have WiiU, Microsoft SmartGlass, and Sony's PS Vita paired with PS3/4 which all do this. Maybe it'll kick off better for actual gaming consoles.

It is fun to show that Apple had it well before all these for those people that seem to think that having something out first makes it better for some reason.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Still no TWIT (twit.tv) channel? I'd love to be able to watch TWIT live without having to AirPlay from my iPad...

That would be nice! I don't think, though, that Leo has tried to get on there yet. At least, that I've heard.

I just download the podcasts to iTunes on the Mac and play them through the Apple TV over the network.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
What doesn't make sense to me is that if we have to have cable in order to view some of this content, like the new Disney Channels and HBO, then why would I even bother watching it through the AppleTV over just watching it directly on my TV through the cable box. We're adding an unnecessary middle-man.

Now, if this is all paving the way for allowing us to subscribe to these channels without having to buy cable tv then I'm all for this. I've been saying for years I'd be more than happy to give HBO 20-30 dollars a month to be able to stream their content online. I do watch enough of their content that I can easily justify the cost being 20-30.

via the apple TV is on demand
the problem with cable is not the price, but the delivery. shows play at specific times and if aren't there to watch them, you pay for nothing. DVR's cost money. apple TV and streaming via IP is better than DVR and cheaper

jeffbax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2004
I am thinking the same. Instead of paying $100/month to a cable company to access 500 channels that I don't watch, I would sooner pay, say, $5/month each to subscribe to, I dunno, HBO, Discovery Channel, Food Network, etc. Some channels could command more than others based on their programming demand.

Maybe this is what Steve's big idea was. Everyone could access only and exactly what they want to see, pay for only those channels, and get them streamed directly. Add to that some PVR or on-demand scheduling/streaming, and you've got the perfect way to watch whatever you want, whenever you want.

If you knew how Cable works, you'd realize this is unlikely. ESPN gets $4-5 per cable subscriber, regardless of whether they actually watch the channel. They aren't going to rush to give you a-la-carte when it means they're now not getting paid for every subscriber on cable and only $5 for you. They'd more likely charge you $10-15 by itself, probably even higher for HBO, so it may come down to paying $50+ for 10 channels without the bundling but you're not going to get the savings you want very easily.

Sad reality, but that's how the Cable market works. HBO (owned by Time Warner Cable) is never going to sell itself like Netflix if it means it's parent company stands to lose millions of far more lucrative cable subscribers and thus make less money in the end.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
And STILL no Time Warner

Tim Cook needs to be fired

Not just for letting Roku beat them to it, but because of the big **** up that he allowed to happen today. Moron let Samsung beat them to the market with a SmartWatch.

He's got to go for his incompetence. He is killing Apple!

Is there any extension for Safari that automatically removes stupid comments?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The only remaining services the Apple TV needs are Amazon Prime Instant Video and maybe an app store.

I don't see AP headed to ATV anytime soon, but I totally agree (our two main TVs at least have a native AP, though I'm sure I'd much prefer the ATV experience).

How about we work on apps that don't require a g-damn cable subscription! These apps are obviously useless to those who have cut the cord, but 9 times out of 10 they also leave Dish and DirecTV subscribers in the cold. Grr...

Yep, DTV subber too, and when I saw the Disney thing I got excited, thinking a $74 refurb in my little girls playroom would be terrific for Netflix Kids and now Disney content ... but no luck.

or Cinemax

I think she's usually on DirecTV channel 598 ... :D

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
The way its set up right now, its almost as if Apple is encouraging people to use the sign in credentials from their friends and family who have cable subscriptions. . . I'm wondering when the crack down will begin.

The crack down hopefully will begin when they roll out their subscription based tv/video service like Amazon Prime/Hulu/Netflix.

At least I hope so, or I won't have any real viewing content :D

Scyanide

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Melbourne, FL
via the apple TV is on demand
the problem with cable is not the price, but the delivery. shows play at specific times and if aren't there to watch them, you pay for nothing. DVR's cost money. apple TV and streaming via IP is better than DVR and cheaper

That is true I guess. We can navigate and watch the show on our own time.

If a cable provider would allow us to pick and choose single networks and build our own package. I'd be more willing to get cable but as long as they continue to shovel 100 channels for every 1 I want then I won't touch it.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011

Don't know why one would want an increase in cost associated with built-in processing power when that processing power is in their iPhone/iPad/iPad Mini already.

Gaming over airplay is garbage, its glitches too much. For serious gaming we need to run the apps on the Apple TV. Until then its a major fail. On top of that ipads are too heavy to play like that for a long period of time.

I am not losing hope, Apple did introduced gaming controls API's at the WWDC.

Last edited:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
... Moron let Samsung beat them to the market with a SmartWatch.

He's got to go for his incompetence. He is killing Apple!

As if being first matters that much, would you want to have product released pre-maturely (ala Apple Maps)? Reminds me of CES 2010 where all those companies released demo tablets to come out before iPad ... and then a couple months later iPad 'flummoxes' them all, to the point where they cancel their products.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

Not looking for XBox or Playstayion caliber software on these things.

It has processing power already that could be used for simple applications. Using onboard power would reduce the chance for lag, or reduction in video quality due to WIFI or other wireless interference.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Cool! The Smithsonian channel is terrific! Just showed my parents how to navigate to it, and they think it's cool, but the :apple:TV is still rather suspect to them...:rolleyes:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If I recall Rio beat Apple to market with an MP3 player. Palm beat Apple to market with a smartphone. Pandora beat Apple to market with a customizable Internet radio station (still has them beat for the moment).

Remember all those folks that announced their tablet before Apple. None of which went on sale for a good six months after that. A few of which never did once they saw the sales of the first iPad.

Samsung etc could learn from Apple. Hold saying anything until it is really ready to go to the market and at the least you can mold your PR to highlight your strengths over Apple's stuff because you will know the facts not the rumors.

Sharkus

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
Perhaps already asked, so forgive the dupe, but is this a new software update for the device, or is it just Apple pushing a new channel out there to be picked up?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

There shouldn't be any cost increase; the AppleTV already uses the same chips as the other iOS devices (since it also runs iOS).

In fact, the AppleTV can get away with a slower chip because even a 1080p TV has much less pixels to compute than an iPad.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Wonderful!

Finally Apple is paying attention to their "hobby"

To those complaining about subscription based apps. Apple has NO control over that. The content providers have all the power and will fight to their death to keep tv the way it is.

Apple is being smart and working with them instead of against.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.