Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
What a boring and uninspired design choice. If Apple chooses this route, I hope they put an interesting spin on the 'dongle' approach.

Why? It would just be hiding behind the display where you will never see it.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
The Apple TV family will expand beyond just one device.

I'm actually expecting an uber Apple TV suitable for gaming that also incorporates a video projector. A standard, maybe slightly enhanced, current APPLE TV would be sold along side this device. Uber ATV would incorporate a 64 bit processors and advanced GPU facilities. Ideally it would also come with far more RAM and significant flash storage. Right now Apple TV simply doesn't have the flash storage to support gaming and still maintain its other capabilities.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why? It would just be hiding behind the display where you will never see it.

Apple always tries to offer an interesting spin on things when offering a new product, and so far the concept's practically indistinguishable from others except for the pasted logo. It's not any different from other dongles as far as I can tell. (AKA this is "something Samsung would do".)

And dongles in general are just boring to me. My personal opinion. /shrug

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I like my Roku stream stick but only b/c I happen to have an MHL port on my Blu-ray player.

I hope Apple doesn't go down this path.

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
speculation hat on - if apple incorporated some of the IP from primesense (the kinect guys they acquired) into a top-or-bottom hanging device you could have an Apple TV that would have room for cameras, ir for remotes, motion sensors for gaming, microphone for siri control perhaps - and that bezel-mounted, keeping the cables away from the viewer and still manage to have a small apple logo that might glow when being interfaced with, or managing a recording (locally or to the cloud).

GeyservilleMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Geyserville
Does no one want it to connect through their AV Receiver first?

Apple, always wants to show off their product, not some dongle connected directly to the TV. And for the rest of us audiophiles who have 7 plus speakers I want it to go through the AV Receiver first anyway down where the rest of my components are.
Geesh!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not everything needs the Air moniker or to be smaller. We need a device that has gaming capabilities, controller support, and fast WIFI AC streaming with more content. If Apple has to double the size, so be it!

I have zero problem with the current form. i would like to see it include 802.11ac and more space to be able to auto download content off season passes or even be able to send a rental to it even if i'm not at home (say I'm at work and I see a new 99cent rental that I want to watch when i get home). perhaps even make it more like a screen less iPad with a store full of media playing apps etc. And give me an Apple TV OS that is basically just like iOS with all the choose what you want to download, etc.

----------

And why do I need an Airport Express they could just add the software to the Apple TV to give it the Airport functionality. Also a few extra Ethernet sockets would be good too.... I wouldn't have to run a mini router then.

I doubt they would make it a full on Airport but with the new mesh capabilities in other devices you might be able to use the Apple TV (if set up that way) as a bouncer of sorts, which for some houses would be good.

----------

I love the current remote made from a machined block of aluminium. It has some weight and it's the proper length for a remote, it feels like quality when you hold it.

I don't mind it either. But I would still rather the Remote app be improved greatly. so then I don't need the silver remote or a stand alone keyboard

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
There's no benefit in miniaturising the ATV to the size of a dongle.

Err, anything that reduces junk and clutter in my house would be a welcome upgrade. I would definitely go for this if it were possible.

Especially when HDMI doesn't provide power.

Good point. That's the most glaring problem with this concept.

----------

And for the rest of us audiophiles who have 7 plus speakers I want it to go through the AV Receiver first anyway down where the rest of my components are.

Just plug it in to your AV receiver then.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
AppleTV really comes down to content, not capability.

If you look at the problem it's trying to solve, the little black box is about delivering content in an easy-to-use and efficient way. That's why all the updates recently have focused around adding new channels/partnerships to the existing UI.

But, if you want to start expanding the features of the device beyond content-consumption, then you ask "what kind of features are relevant?" against what technologies Apple already owns.

FaceTime is an obvious one. Adding FaceTime to AppleTV would require a camera though.

Alternative input? Voice-recognition. That needs microphones.

So if you add a camera and a microphone to an AppleTV you need a camera stand for it. And if you're going to add 1 camera to it (for FaceTime) why not add a few, and leverage that recent acquisition regarding motion detection?

That solves the problem of not being able to use a mouse (screen's too big) or multi-touch (screen's too far).

And then you start to see that, if anything, a next generation AppleTV starts to look less like a dongle and more like this:

spt-kinect-camera.jpg

DiscFreak

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Why I like this...

I like the Air concept because of how I want to use AppleTV...I'm a professor and teach in multiple classrooms. I would very much like to use my iPhone or iPad to display my Keynote slide shows but I have to connect them directly to my inputs on the projector. FAIL

With a dongle I can insert it into the back of the projector (even when it is on the ceiling) and enjoy all the benefits of AirPlay in each classroom.

The current box needs to be plugged in and it is bulky to carry from class to class.

I think this is a win in terms of an additional product line. As to if I would use this at home...I have home theater so I would rather have the box there all hooked up to my ethernet and everything. Apple, can we have both?

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
The only thing I really hate about MacRumors is that they publish "concepts" from people who don't work for Apple, have no idea what Apple's direction is, and somehow these become "rumors."

I don't care what someone thinks will be the next Apple product, I only care if they have information about what those next products might be.

Oh, and this is a terrible idea. Just like Chromecast is a terrible idea. Chromecast is streaming only. Apple TV is streaming, but can cache an entire movie and play it back again without having to re-stream it. So if your connection is a little dodgy, you can let it download 30 minutes ahead and then sit down and watch seamless HD. Chromespycast and Netflix would both drop the resolution or skip excessively. Once again, it's about the user experience, not the tech.

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
Dear Apple, I want....
A new Apple TV, quad core 64bit arm, latest GPU with ray tracing , App Store app compatibility for apps/games, 1080p and Ultra 4k video, 3d video. Works wide range of controllers. Also want apps which play new or live content and have Apis to push it to a scheduling system so I can pre download or see what's new at a glance.
I want to be larger and heavier than the cables I plug into it, the latest wifi, built in airport functionality, 3 or 4 IP connectors, And I want it soon....

Last edited:

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Dear Apple, I want....
A new Apple TV, quad core 64bit arm, latest GPU with ray tracing , App Store app compatibility for apps/games, 1080p and Ultra 4k video, 3d video. Works wide range of controllers. Also want apps which play new or live content and have Apis to push it to a scheduling system so I can pre download or see what's new at a glance.
I want to be larger and heavier than the cables I plug into it, the latest wifi, built in airport functionality, 3 or 4 IP connectors, And I want it soon....

if they do it, you can have it for 2999$ :D

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I wouldn't mind a dongle if it had HDMI pass through. That'd be slick. I'd imagine it being a simple airplay server dongle rather than an entire atv os.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
This one leaves me with mixed feelings. I really wish a few other things would go wireless other than the ATV which is easy to hide behind the television. Since that little remote is a pain to keep up with, I've got the Remote app on my iPad, iPhone, DD11's iPhone and iPad so we are never out of reach of a controller. The Remote app doesn't have to see the ATV to work.

The make an HDMI 90º connector which will help with televisions too close to the wall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.