Apple tv alternative?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iowamensan, Sep 9, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

First, don't thrash me for looking for something other than an apple tv on an apple tv board. I have an apple tv, it gets used daily, and i love it. However, I'm going to be camping in the infield at talladega speedway next month and my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv. Im looking at being able to put a good number of my movies on an external, plug that into a device to play them on the tv. Ive been looking at the WD HD TV device, and I think it will do what i want it to. They have a mini version but from what i gather it can't play H264 movies and mp4s. All of my movies are encoded using the handbrake apple tv setting, so i don't think it will play them from my limited knowledge of video formats.

I'm just looking for some advice on what the best device would be for what i want it to do, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money because it might only be used for this trip. If it does streaming from a wireless connection a la apple tv, I might continue to use it, but the device i see with that feature cost considerably more. There is a reconditioned WD HD TV on amazon for 56 bucks. If that device will work for what I am looking for, that might be the best bet.

Anyone have any experience with other digital media devices?
    Thanks,
    Geoff

2. macrumors 6502

rprebel

3. macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

The WD TV Live is a GREAT product! Short of a Mac Mini it plays everything you throw at it and handles various audio formats too. I've had one for about a year now and highly recommend it.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 6502

rprebel

Oops, guess I should have read those myself. I have heard good things about WD TV.

6. macrumors regular

Some Internet rumblings have been saying the Google TV will come out in October...just my $.02

7. macrumors 6502

You will if you hack it. I have an AppleTV I've been using with my standard def composite video only TV.

Amorya

8. macrumors 6502

If you already have a lappy computer you could use your current :apple:TV and your laptop computer. Store what movies won't fit on your :apple:TV on your Laptop and stream them to the :apple:TV. You could also use an external HDD with your laptop if you can't get all of the movies onto your laptop.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered a refurb WD TV for $35 from eCost... sounds like that is my best option. Thanks for all the advice!