Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00tslap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Cincy, Ohio
i dont know if anyone knows anything about Time Capsule but... I was wondering if ther will be any extra compatability with ATV that i would'nt get with another External HD. Basically what i want to do is Dump all of my Media onto Time Capsule and stream it directly from that to my ATV. Wether my Computer is off or on the netword at all. Anyone know if this will be possible? thanks

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It is not possible to stream from Time Capsule because :apple:TV only streams from iTunes and Time Capsule isn't running iTunes.

What you can do and works very well is to drop all your media files into Time Capsule, then import them into iTunes without copying them to the iTunes library (you can OPTION + Drag to do this or you can set it in the preferences).

This will save you space on your iTunes computer and if you sync your library to your :apple:TV, you can run it without your computer on.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
considering you'll soon be able to buy direct from the itunes store and download to the apple TV, there is a lot of capability in the little box.

no reason why they couldn't do it so it streams/syncs from a timecapsule, or other NAS. Its one area that I think Apple need to ease up a bit on - relying on itunes so much is restrictive.

Can you stream direct from a NAS that supports itunes server? or does it have to go through an itunes app?

cgray24

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Texas
Im assuming since they renamed Sources to Computers, we wont see any interaction between time capsole and apple tv

w00tslap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Cincy, Ohio
At the KeyNote he kept talking about how ATV works independently of you computer and blah blah all you need is a TV

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You don't need a computer. You can buy music, movies and TV shows on :apple:TV. If you want to copy content from your computer, we can assume you have one and you're provided with that option.

JMD123

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
Flawless

Below is a quote from the apple site:

Works with iPhone, Apple TV and more

Time Capsule works flawlessly with Apple TV, iPhone, iPod touch, and all your other Wi-Fi devices that use the 802.11a/b/g and 802.11n draft 2.0 wireless standards.2

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Drag your iTunes library to Time Capsule then open iTunes while holding down option key. Navigate to the library on Time Capsule and boom. iTunes will work as normal the only difference is your content is not on your computer. ATV will work as normal as iTunes tells it where to look for the content.

Thats how it should work after all TC is a network drive isnt it? My current iTunes library is on a 500GB external firewire drive and everything woks fine with my ATV.

BTW What does NAS mean?

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I think there's a lot of confusion around this. Time capsule is just an external drive. When they refer to it working with Apple TV, I'm pretty sure they are talking about the Wireless N protocol (The Airport Extreme part of it).

MacboobsPro gave the instructions to move your library to the external drive and manage it from your computer, but you won't be able to see it without your computer being on.

tmelander

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Apple TV needs more Storage!!!

It is not possible to stream from Time Capsule because :apple:TV only streams from iTunes and Time Capsule isn't running iTunes.

What you can do and works very well is to drop all your media files into Time Capsule, then import them into iTunes without copying them to the iTunes library (you can OPTION + Drag to do this or you can set it in the preferences).

This will save you space on your iTunes computer and if you sync your library to your :apple:TV, you can run it without your computer on.

Your solution still has a problem. Even though you can off load the media onto another device; e.g. external drive, time capsule, the external device can only be used to sync media to the Apple TV. So those with 40GB, and even 160GB that may not be enough space...more than likely never enough.

The biggest issue with the Apple TV is the amount of space it lacks. If the USB connection on the Apple TV could be used to connect an external drive that would solve the problem to everyone on this thread. Why can't Apple to that? Seems pretty simple to me, but I am sure that would go against their money making model with the new movie rentals and iTunes support straight from the Apple TV.

Come on Apple!

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
allowing external drives on the appleTV would have the same effect as adding an SD card slot to the iPhone. Why would anyone need to buy the bigger unit? From a business standpoint it makes sense to not allow use of the USB port, but from a consumer standpoint it bugs the crap out of me.

However, apple could introduce a specific external unit for the aTV that is specific to the unit. Something like a 1TB external drive in the aTV form factor. However, I am certain that that would be easily hacked to allow any drive.

mjldenboer

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
I think what ipedro meant is that you still have all your media files on the timecapsule (or other NAS) and not on your appleTV. You just tell itunes on your appleTV to look for the files on the timecapsule through the instruction given by MacBoobspro.

Isnt it? Macboobspro, maybe you can confirm this..

mjldenboer

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
think it can be done

I think what ipedro meant is that you still have all your media files on the timecapsule (or other NAS) and not on your appleTV. You just tell itunes on your appleTV to look for the files on the timecapsule through the instruction given by MacBoobspro.

Isnt it? Macboobspro, maybe you can confirm this..

andyroberts

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
London
Your solution still has a problem. Even though you can off load the media onto another device; e.g. external drive, time capsule, the external device can only be used to sync media to the Apple TV. So those with 40GB, and even 160GB that may not be enough space...more than likely never enough.

The biggest issue with the Apple TV is the amount of space it lacks. If the USB connection on the Apple TV could be used to connect an external drive that would solve the problem to everyone on this thread. Why can't Apple to that? Seems pretty simple to me, but I am sure that would go against their money making model with the new movie rentals and iTunes support straight from the Apple TV.

Come on Apple!

This maybe of interest?

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/07/28/usb-patch-released-hallelujah/

willorrock

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
London
Help please

Hi,

I have just bought a 42LG6000 TV and i am buying a 500GB Time Capsule. If I were to buy a 40GB Apple TV would i be able to connect the time capsule and play movies etc through the TV which are saved on the Time Capsule Hard drive?

hope that makes sense!

Basically

Movie File > Time Capsule > Apple TV > TV screen

thanks

paulinhadrp

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Southfield, MI
Hi,

I have just bought a 42LG6000 TV and i am buying a 500GB Time Capsule. If I were to buy a 40GB Apple TV would i be able to connect the time capsule and play movies etc through the TV which are saved on the Time Capsule Hard drive?

hope that makes sense!

Basically

Movie File > Time Capsule > Apple TV > TV screen

thanks

You will need to add your computer to that equation at one point.

If you want to stream your content to the Apple TV, you will need to have your iTunes, in your computer open (so the computer has to be on and in the house).
However, if you want to sync your stuff to the Apple TV and have it stored there, you only need to sync the files from your Time Capsule (via your computer) once (or every time you add something new to the library) and it will all be there.

What I am doing right now is loading my iTunes library from an external hard drive connected to my Time Capsule, and streaming to the Apple TV... this has been extremely buggy and annoying to set up, and I am still trying to figure out a lot of problems, but in theory, it works.

It really would make a lot of sense from the consumers' standpoint to just allow us to connect a USB Hard Drive to that USB port directly on the Apple TV, without having to hack it.

Am I confusing?

willorrock

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
London
not at all.....well maybe a little, but i think thats my knowledge!

no that was pretty sound,

1.so the Time Capsule can wirelessly stream data (films etc) to Apple TV?

2. so if i had my MBP on in the same room (and had it connected to my Time Capsule) and opened/ran a film through iTunes on my MBP i could then watch the film on my TV via Apple TV (which isn't connected to anything but the TV) ?

I am only wandering because it seems silly to buy a large HD apple TV when i have a Time Capsule with plenty of storage.

3. Also (another separate question...sorry), I am a student in a student house and we have a wireless router sending our broadband signal wirelessly throughout the house. Can i use the Time Capsule to pick up the internet signal wirelessly and then share the signal again (almost like a booster). This is so i can connect my xbox, ps3, MBP, Apple TV etc with a sturdier connection.
4. Also would i be able to connect then physically from the Time Capsule?

I have numbered the questions so please number your responses (makes it a bit easier)

thanks

Will

paulinhadrp

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Southfield, MI
no that was pretty sound,

1.so the Time Capsule can wirelessly stream data (films etc) to Apple TV?

Yes, as long as you are using a computer to stream your media from Time Capsule via iTunes

2. so if i had my MBP on in the same room (and had it connected to my Time Capsule) and opened/ran a film through iTunes on my MBP i could then watch the film on my TV via Apple TV (which isn't connected to anything but the TV) ?

You don't even need to open the file on your MBP... all you need is to have iTunes open and you will be able to see all your iTunes content on the Apple TV and open whatever movie you want from your couch

I am only wandering because it seems silly to buy a large HD apple TV when i have a Time Capsule with plenty of storage.

Just to make sure it is clear, the Apple TV can either work as a hub from iTunes to your TV (streaming), or it could be used to store all of your iTunes content in its Hard Drive (syncing)... on the second case, you wouldn't need your Time Capsule (only for backup purposes if you would like), since stuff would be stored there already and there will be no need for streaming

3. Also (another separate question...sorry), I am a student in a student house and we have a wireless router sending our broadband signal wirelessly throughout the house. Can i use the Time Capsule to pick up the internet signal wirelessly and then share the signal again (almost like a booster). This is so i can connect my xbox, ps3, MBP, Apple TV etc with a sturdier connection.
I am not 100% sure, but I'm pretty certain that you can pick up the internet from your existing network and just use Time Capsule as an external HD... I'm not sure about the booster part.. I don't think Time Capsule and your router could work together to give you a better connection, but I am no expert in this arena though... don't mark my words on this one.

4. Also would i be able to connect then physically from the Time Capsule?
Time Capsule only has one USB port, so if you want to connect them all physically, you would need to buy a USB hub with multiple ports.

Hope I answered all your questions... and have fun with your setup once you have it!

tmelander

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
i dont know if anyone knows anything about Time Capsule but... I was wondering if ther will be any extra compatability with ATV that i would'nt get with another External HD. Basically what i want to do is Dump all of my Media onto Time Capsule and stream it directly from that to my ATV. Wether my Computer is off or on the netword at all. Anyone know if this will be possible? thanks

To all on this thread. I think many of you still miss the point in the limitation of disk usage of the Apple TV. It has a disk, 40GB or 160GB, and without a computer with iTunes you cannot exceed the space on the AppleTV itself. Even if something like Time Capsule is used you still need iTunes on a computer to manage it. This forces you to use a computer regardless of the configuration.

To solve this dilemma Apple really needs to allow the connection of an external USB drive to the USB connection on the back of the AppleTV. Then even if iTunes on the computer were needed to manage the content the movies, songs, etc. would be synched to the external USB drive and ultimately you would not need the computer to rely on reading the content, which is current the case and the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.