Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspeed3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Most simple question you'll ever read on this forum...

My folks have just asked me to buy them an Apple TV for Xmas. They want it to play their video library, which is mostly in .avi form.

I know nothing about Apple TV and they know nothing about anything related to computers/electronics. If I buy and set this up for them, are they going to be able to run it with very little ease?

For example, can Apple TV automatically play .avi files, or does that need to be converted to run through iTunes?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
The files would need to be converted. If the users media is not in iTunes and a format the Apple TV plays then I would be very reluctant about buying one.

mattspeed3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks for the reply - and that's the case for both versions of the apple tv? Neither can play .avi without conversion?
Cheers

liamwillib

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The apple tv is THE most simple way to play audio/video on the tv, bar none. But for your situation, with a massive IF. Only IF it's converted to mp4, ie. be in iTunes. If they have a grasp of computer basics or you have the time to help then out it's incredibly easy to convert using free programs such as handbreak which has a preset for appletv. It was on the old, and believe it may now be possible on the new model, to hack/jailbreak to play avi natively, but that adds a lot of complexity to technophobes, although not difficult for the technically savvy.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
You're probably better off buying a Windows HTPC and having them use Windows Media Center. It seems to be pretty intuitive these days.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
If playing avi. files is their #1 concern, you better look elsewhere, like the WD TV Live or Boxee Box.

And I'm not too sure Windows HTPC falls under the "easy-to-use" department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.