Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

Whether or not this is actually a "modder lockdown" by Apple or simply the result of files being overwritten by a "normal" system update by Apple has yet to be determined -- e.g., an update that replaced the modified ssh.plist with the default ver. is all that it would take to "disable" SSH on many modified :apple: tv boxes. :rolleyes:

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
All the modders have to do is find the back door through which Apple secretly updates the AppleTV, block it, and they'll be sorted. I can't see this being that much of a set back.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Who knows... it might be as simple as blocking port 80. :p

Or maybe not... ;)

Well all you would need to do is get something like m0n0wall. OR something else that has fire-walling ability then just block all traffic between the apple TVs ip and the internet. Or get really fancy and get the update servers IPs and just block the apple tv from accessing those.:D

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Well all you would need to do is get something like m0n0wall. OR something else that has fire-walling ability then just block all traffic between the apple TVs ip and the internet. Or get really fancy and get the update servers IPs and just block the apple tv from accessing those.:D

~ man ipfw ;)

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003

My guess: Total bull.

For any one to access the apple tv from anywhere outside of his house he must have either a) port fowarding to the apple tv or b) a non-nated connection (ie university) or c) the apple tv is actively communicating with some apple server.

Most likely it is b. And if this is true then any joe user on the internet can login and screw with his apple tv because he never changed the password.

If it is c) we would already be seeing some thing like "omg apple tv secretly communicates with apple server!!! elvelnty one!!1" along with a tcp dump of said communications.

In short the guy disabled the devices firewall, and attached it to the internet. Some one then logged in and bricked his apple tv. This could be any one, mostly likely some haxar 'friends' on irc. He got what he had coming. You never put a machine on any network with a disabled firewall AND a known ssh username and password.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
of the scenario's posted so far, the most rational seems to be that the system updated and broke the mod. Now, I can definitely see Apple tweaking the update to not be compatible with mods. It is in Apple's interest to save those potential functionalities for later, when they can add them as features. But yeah, having an update screw up the mod is a bummer.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
its interesting so many mac users are enthusiastic about hacking apple's products(probably void warranty too), rather than treat it as "just work" "out of box", lol

how about just face the reality about what type of the market apple is targeting? if you are not in the category, just don't buy it. Its not everybody should buy every product from apple anyway.;)

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Still safer to do it at your router in case they have some backdoor to reset ipfw, no?

B

Yeah, a router with configurable firewall is the thing to have. ipfw is just the quick and effective way to boink the unwanted things coming in or going out on device itself.

Backdoor? Dunno... Likely it was just a variation on Apple's current updating methods; one that (rudely) didn't prompt before installation. Updates to any system or app software typically break any mods added or made to it.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Perhaps it was my imagination, but it seemed that the tv show menu was different, prompting me to think that the system had updated on its own.

I'm not certain of this, but I don't remember the "episode and date" thing at the top of the menu before.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Perhaps it was my imagination, but it seemed that the tv show menu was different, prompting me to think that the system had updated on its own.

I'm not certain of this, but I don't remember the "episode and date" thing at the top of the menu before.

"Updates on its own" is the major plot point... but should have been assumed.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
This sounds like the same scenario as the TIVO mods. Everything was fine, then you sit down to watch something and it's all gone! During the night TIVO updated your box. You are back to square one and have to apply the mods all over again. It's not that they are blocking you from making the mods, they're just making it such of a pain by having to redo the mods after every update. Goes with the territory.

Just my take on it. I don't have one, yet.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
This sounds like the same scenario as the TIVO mods. Everything was fine, then you sit down to watch something and it's all gone! During the night TIVO updated your box. You are back to square one and have to apply the mods all over again. It's not that they are blocking you from making the mods, they're just making it such of a pain by having to redo the mods after every update. Goes with the territory.

It's just Darwinism in motion. Thinning the herd... killing off the weak. The strong survive. :p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

I totally agree with you.

Maybe the hackers can figure out a way to make the AppleTV ignore the updates, like the TiVo hackers did.

Problem is, two years after you get everything set up and running right, along comes something major like the Daylight Savings Time update, and then you have to quickly remember how to manually do an update and redo your patches. :eek:

Either way, I think the AppleTV's way to early in its life to be ignoring updates.

I wonder if Apple left it so easily hackable so they could read the blogs and plug a gazillion security things at once?

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Hmmm... haven't seen anyone posting anything here about how their mods were hosed.

Anyone? :rolleyes:

Is it that not enough people are modding them? or not enough modders had problems?

If you've successfully voided the warranty on your Apple TV, only to have Apple successfully thwart your modifications (even for the short term), please, do share...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I just went to Settings > Update and tried to force an update and it didn't find anything.

Then I rebooted, thinking it might do an auto-update then. Nothing. I can still SSH in. I wonder if they roll out their updates based on something unique (mac addr?), like DirecTV does with their DVR updates. I can't imagine Apple has the balls to update (read: potentially brick) every single AppleTV at one time. :confused:

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I can't imagine Apple has the balls to update (read: potentially brick) every single AppleTV at one time. :confused:

Never, Never underestimate the size of Steve Job's balls. Apple TV has to be easier than updating a puter, and they send out updates that the faithful install constantly. When was the last time an update drastically broke everyone's computer, when it wasn't tied to some 3rd party installed thing? Since you can't do any "3rd party installed" thing on the ATV, I'd guess, yea, Stevo would dangle 'em out there.:eek:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Is it that not enough people are modding them? or not enough modders had problems?

If you've successfully voided the warranty on your Apple TV, only to have Apple successfully thwart your modifications (even for the short term), please, do share...

Relax... Creative people will continue to create their own entertainment. The uncreative types will be content for someone to create it for them.

BTW, if not for the hacking efforts of two early hackers, Jobs and Wozniak, you wouldn't have a Mac to type on right now. :rolleyes:

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Relax... Creative people will continue to create their own entertainment. The uncreative types will be content for someone to create it for them.

BTW, if not for the hacking efforts of two early hackers, Jobs and Wozniak, you wouldn't have a Mac to type on right now. :rolleyes:

Deep cleansing breath to eliminate my obvious hysteria, the frantic tone of my post must have given me away... :confused:

I'm all for hackers. I just want to know if this is a widespread thing, or just people whose mods didn't work out. It seems pretty anecdotal at the moment. Be nice to hear from someone with an actual problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.