Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gogojuice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
I am sure this has been posted.. but I couldn't find it.. Sorry gang :(

I was thinking of just getting the 40gb and saving money to get a external usb drive. Does this make sense, or are there drawbacks?

Will the usb 2.0 port be quick enough to stream movies over?

Can I connect a usb hub to the back? I would like to be able to connect my ipod to it as well as the large external drive.

TIA

Nimiety

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
To be honest, yes, it is possible, albeit somewhat complicated to jailbreak the os to allow both additional software formats (like divx) and to use the USB port to connect to an external drive.

The big reason was that, in the past, the Apple TV treated itself as a separate source from the main computer it connected to, so it was a little more awkward to watch films (check apple TV movie list, oops, now check the main source movie list). Under the 2.0 version, it is seamless.

The best suggestion is to size up your pictures and music, and get an Apple TV big enough for that and stream all of your movies and leave only a few synced to the unit - it'll save you a bit of cash and you'll probably never notice the difference.

N...

gogojuice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
I'm new to the apple tv so sorry if I get the terms wrong at this point :)

We'll I have 2 Mac Pros with 4 HD's in them each. Are you suggesting that I leave the data on those HD's and then stream it over rather than storing (Syncing) it on the Apple Tv HD?
Right now I have a 1TB movie HD. I realize that these will have to be reformated with visual hub, or something else for ATV in order to stream over or even be synced right?

I guess in essence is the 40 the way to go the 160? Is it preferable to store the stuff on the atv drive or stream it. Is there really any speed diff?

Thanks for helping

TheQuestion

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Location is relative, no?
I am sure this has been posted.. but I couldn't find it.. Sorry gang :(

I was thinking of just getting the 40gb and saving money to get a external usb drive. Does this make sense, or are there drawbacks?

Will the usb 2.0 port be quick enough to stream movies over?

Can I connect a usb hub to the back? I would like to be able to connect my ipod to it as well as the large external drive.

TIA

This is the main reason Apple came you with the 160 GB model - additional storage. I'd also like the ability to plug in more external storage though. I must have sent Apple 20 comments on the topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.