1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple TV Constantly needs to be restarted.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Necco, Jul 14, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hi, my family and I sadly don't use our Apple TV as much as we should for what it costs but its a frustrating machine. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem: That after leaving the Apple TV alone and on for maybe a week or so, when switching the AV back to it, the Apple TV freezes and needs to be restarted. It seems to happen about 50% of the time.

Is this just our Apple TV or are there more people with this problem. If so, how do you cope?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

I've never had that problem and I use mine almost daily.

Maybe just turn it off if you're not using it for long periods of time?

3. macrumors member

Yes, same problem here and I understood it to be an issue with HDMI and certain HDTVs.

However, I've not had any issues since the 2.1 update so I recommend updating your ATV if you've not already done so. [I would add that since the update I've used my ATV more -- that could be the reason]

4. macrumors newbie

I actually had a lot more problems once Apple TV updated to 2.1. I do have a 2007 Samsung LCD, which have been known to have HDMI handshaking problems. I updated the firmware on my LCD, by downloading it from Samsung.com and installing it via USB. The results are pretty good in that the AppleTV no longer crashes/freezes. The handshake still takes ~10seconds, but it's better than having to reboot the AppleTV every day or so.

5. macrumors 68000

richpjr

I have experienced the hang up twice myself since updating to 2.1. I have a 2007 Sony XBR4.

6. macrumors 65816

I have to say that ATV is becoming a PITA.

It seems to drop off the network at random times and only recovers with a reboot.

Often it will hang with the Apple logo on the screen and only recovers with a reboot.

Both these problems seem to have been around for a while now and yet there's still no fix from Apple. Very disappointing tbh.

7. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I had problems like this. I went over the set up instructions with a fine tooth comb and found that the ATV IP address was wrong and meant it was not configured properly. If I remember correctly if the IP address starts with anything other than 192 then its not configured correctly. Mine started 158 (i think).