APPLE TV directly from HDD?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ferrarofilms, Jan 22, 2013.

1. macrumors member

After doing all the trials and pertinent checks with the internet provider I had to quit using my new Apple TV because the speed of internet is not enough, it fluctuates during the 24 hrs and watching a movie became a nightmare.
    Is there a way to lock it directly to a hard drive without having to go wireless?
    If somebody knows how I appreciate the feedback. If not I'll sell the unit.
    Thanks

2. macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes, rent it on iTunes (your Mac/PC) and it'll download to your HD. Then HomeShare or AirPlay it.

Also use wired Ethernet if possible.

3. thread starter macrumors member

The problem is there

Can't HomeShare or AirPlay it. Not enoug speed from the router because it is directly related to the income band from the street, old house (rented) all cables only one outlet.

4. macrumors 6502a

you control your own wifi speeds, im assuming you have a router that is also the modem provided by your service provider, and if this is the case its probably a crappy wireless router, but should still suffice for airplay, if not get your own router that has better performance

5. thread starter macrumors member

The router

The router is Gateway NB304N from Netcomm, not a crappy one, I am getting about 8 mbps and at that speed i can not air video without interruptions, data is another story.
    The video via air is out of the question, I gess that it is not possible to do it from an HDD like the Philips HD Media Plyayer does

6. macrumors 601

That should be enough.

Run an ethernet cable between the ATV and the gateway.