Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Laugh at this one:

I invite friends to come and see my brand new apple TV and to convince them on how good is to switch to Apple stuff.

Start up a movie and everything goes ok, but by the middle of the movie (ripped and streaming from iMac - seen before by me...) the ATV freezes and looses connection....

I try desperately to troubleshoot and even blame the rain or my friends cell phone to try and throw a smoke curtain until I Get things worked out...

But after unplugging my ATV... It disapears from iTunes to never come back...

I spent the rest of the night reinstalling itunes, ATV, going into forums while my PC friends laugh at my non working all-Mac-setup....

Ohhh boy....

ATV refuses to show up in itunes... It can access the network, download youtube stuff and watch trailers and It plays what it sync'ed, all this happen while watching a streamed movie.... NO changes were done, except unplugging the damn thing...

So anybody has any new tricks to fix this situation?

Some more data on my stuff

iMac connected wirelessly
Motorolla Modem/Wireless Router on Cable connection
No firewalls at all (I know, risky)
Wireless connection to ATV without any hacks on latest software version
iTunes 8.2 (latest version downloaded from Apple) -- Reinstalled
Movies on Ext Hard drive connected via FW to iMac
This setup has worked flawlessly for 2 months...
No changes were done, no downloads or new settings were changed here...

I Did the Ping test and it finds the ATV and pings it with no problems
I can set the ATV as speaker in iTunes and it connects... But still does not appear on devices list in iTunes

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Youch

That happened to me over and over. I was about ready to throw the :apple: TV out the window. I tried everything. In an act of desperation I replaced my Linksys router with an Airport Extreme. Never had a problem again.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Laugh at this one:

I invite friends to come and see my brand new apple TV and to convince them on how good is to switch to Apple stuff.

I wouldn't necessarily use the Apple TV to convince my friends to move to Apple stuff, its a neglected hobby device.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
definitely. Show them a macbook pro and watch them drool.

yeah, I showed them my wife's brand new MacBook Pro and my trusty Alu iMac... then I said... Lets watch a movie in my new toy the ATV....

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
ahh btw, it was solved via a Reset to factory settings on the ATV... Not elegant, but is working right now....

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I wouldn't necessarily use the Apple TV to convince my friends to move to Apple stuff, its a neglected hobby device.

most definitely, its a shame I really love the concept... There is a lot of potential in this little device... I dont really wish for any other functions etc, just that it works as advertised...

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
That happened to me over and over. I was about ready to throw the :apple: TV out the window. I tried everything. In an act of desperation I replaced my Linksys router with an Airport Extreme. Never had a problem again.

Sure thing, is on my list of things to consider buying... its so damn expensive.... I will have to read about it and see if it really solve my issues with needing to backup 2 different computers, and link a printer...

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
Sure thing, is on my list of things to consider buying... its so damn expensive.....

You know you don't need an AirPort Extreme to do this, an AirPort Express will do it too, all you need to do is turn off the wireless on your Router and connect the Express to the router with an Ethernet cable, you then connect to the network using the AirPort. You can still connect a printer to an Express too.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
You know you don't need an AirPort Extreme to do this, an AirPort Express will do it too, all you need to do is turn off the wireless on your Router and connect the Express to the router with an Ethernet cable, you then connect to the network using the AirPort. You can still connect a printer to an Express too.

Thanks... Thats a piece of info i did Not know...

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
... I will have to read about it and see if it really solve my issues with needing to backup 2 different computers...
If you think of using TimeMachine with an AirportExtreme + USB disk - this solution can be very s l o w, but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.