Apple TV Drops to $89.99 at Amazon and Best Buy

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 15, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noticed by 9to5Mac, both Amazon and Best Buy have dropped their prices on the Apple TV by $10 to $89.99. Interestingly, Amazon has also added a "2010" designation to its Apple TV title, leading to speculation that the retailers may be making room for a potential update to the device.

[​IMG]
    Third-party retailers are, however, usually not particularly accurate sources of information on new product releases given that Apple does not generally keep them apprised of its product plans. But despite that caveat and the fact that mid-November is beyond Apple's usual timeframe for new product introductions ahead of the holiday shopping season, the developments may spark some interest among those who have been eagerly awaiting word of a new Apple TV model.

With iOS 5 released back in June opening the door to a 1080p Apple TV and references to a new Apple TV model showing up in iOS 5, it seems that Apple may unsurprisingly be working on a hardware update for the Apple TV, but the timeframe for such a release is unknown. Apple is also said to be working on a Siri-enabled television set, but that product is reportedly not set to debut until late 2012 or 2013 and it is unclear how that product would affect or relate to the Apple TV set-top box.

Article Link: Apple TV Drops to $89.99 at Amazon and Best Buy

2. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Not a bad price a tall. $10 off is still $10 off! :D

Makes me wonder about Apple's own TV rumors, but it may be a bit early for that. ;) Still not a bad gift for the holidays! I scored one for $79 new off eBay last year for Christmas and my Dad has been enjoying it ever since.

3. macrumors 6502

Damn, I just bought an Apple TV as well. It's a brilliant bit of kit as it is now, will look forward to seeing what develops =]

4. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Apple TV 2012 here we come! :D

5. macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Nice. Great price and no tax.

Can't wait for iTV. :)

6. macrumors 6502

I like this!

I'm a "original" user because I need both digital and analog output...
    So, I'm hoping the new unit gives me that flexibility.

7. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks like good news, if the rumor pans out of course. I was just thinking of adding a small tv monitor to the kitchen with another ATV2. I shall wait a bit longer and see what develops.

8. macrumors 6502a

andylyon

It won't be called an iTV, defo not here in the UK!

9. macrumors 68000

DustinT

My old ATV will make a lovely Airplay box for the bedroom.

10. macrumors member

I think the release of a 1080p A5 Apple TV is imminent. I don't expect any other significant new features though.

11. macrumors regular

Can people not envisage the new version of this running Divx and running like a WD TV? So that you can plug a USB Hard Drive in and run films off that?

If so then I would order one straight away.

12. macrumors 6502

AirPlay helps with this if you have an iOs device. In fact I'm streaming an MKV right now & typing this very message right now on my iPad. I don't see it any different than copying the file to the HDD & then moving it over to the apple tv. But of course if you don't have an iOS device then what does it matter.

13. macrumors regular

don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

14. macrumors member

those of you that stream from ipad or itunes to this on a tv how well does it work. is there much lag? also does it matter if you stream from a pc itunes or mac itunes? i have an ever growing dvd collection and i would love to put it on my pc and just stream without handling disks and worrying about the kids scratching them up more than they have a few already. $10 off would make it worth it vs buying new dvds.

15. macrumors 6502

tarasis

Same here, and my 14 day return window ended on Saturday just gone. Typical!

16. macrumors regular

"Siri, play the newest episode of The Walking Dead." :p

17. macrumors 68000

BillyBobBongo

Chances are that it's more an action to push the Apple TV during the Christmas period than preapring for a new model.

18. macrumors regular

Sounds a bit of a long process though. Can you explain it in a bit more detail? Do you put the MKV on the iPad and play it through an app?

19. macrumors 6502

tarasis

One thing I do, is run ServerToMe on my MacMini and Stream to the iPad 2 using the StreamToMe app, which then forwards it to the AppleTV via AirPlay and yes you can use the iPad at the same time. Works a treat and looks great.

The BBC iPlayer (Global) is a bit more annoying, it uses AirPlay BUT if you device falls asleep then it stops transmitting (which StreamToMe doesn't suffer from) or if you switch away from the app it also stops transmitting. Really frustrating.

20. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

I was going to disagree with this comment because of the lack of any available 1080p content on iTunes, but the fact that video shot on the iPhone 4S cannot play on the current AppleTV without converting (or using Airplay) is a pretty telling sign to me that it will get updated.

I had this exact same problem when the iPhone 4 came out and the original AppleTV I have would not play video shot on the iPhone 4 without converting it. Then the AppleTV was updated not long after.

21. macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100

It works really well. We have only had ATV2 since early October, and it has been a great way to get iTunes to the TV, or YouTube to the TV, or Vimeo to the TV, or iPhoto to the TV, etc....

22. macrumors 6502a

So I imagine that I can just use Air Video (tarasis was saying that he/she uses StreamToMe) to stream a video to my iPad from my MacBook, and AirPlay that AirVideo stream from my iPad to an Apple TV?

Unless there are some complications with that idea, I really think that I'm going to go ahead and get an ATV by the end of the year.

23. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Now with our music in iCloud/Match, tons of videos in our iTunes and the ability to quickly display pics/videos from the iPhone, I'm definitely ready.

I've kind of been keeping an eye out for a good deal on Fleabay (or even an Apple refurb), but with Amazon, no tax, no shipping and it's here in two days, brand new.

24. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I do this with Air Video and confirm it works. Air Video supported AirPlay before mirroring, I believe.

25. macrumors 6502

Yeah it's just that easy. Once you have serve to me running on your computer of choice and have the folders listed it's easy. Stream to me app is on the iPad and you can read the folders you have set up with serve to me. So I just browse to the folder with the MKV or any file, and then play it. My apple TV will then just start right up. It's pretty cool and really again is very simple.

----------

Yeah I'm sure air video works. I like stream to me because I can also use it for music. So I can listen to music or watch video. But yeah air video is a good app that should stream via airplay.