Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RCCola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I mostly use my Apple TV for music on the home theatre.
Does this mean I now need my computer on to play music?
That seems like a backwards step.

And since I had to register to ask this question I'm going into a rant...
No interface improvements? Looks like you still need to scroll through a million songs to get where you want. Why can't they just drop an alphabet on the side? (like iPhone).
No apps?
No USB storage?
Disappointed with new ATV features so far.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It shouldn't affect the "old" model. I use my :apple:tv the same way using my internal 250GB HD (also for movies/tv). I can't imagine they would disable that feature.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I mostly use my Apple TV for music on the home theatre.
Does this mean I now need my computer on to play music?

Yes.

That seems like a backwards step.

Why?

Streaming should have no issues in performance (especially in an 802.11n network). You're also keeping your media confined to one location, rather than multiple locations. Unecessary redundancy if you ask me.

It's not like your computer will be away from the house or building anyway, so I really don't see the big issue people are having here.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N

It sounds like the OP is asking about an existing :apple:tv. Media stored on it should remain stored locally and syncing to iTunes should remain as before.

Why?

Streaming should have no issues in performance (especially in an 802.11n network). You're also keeping your media confined to one location, rather than multiple locations. Unecessary redundancy if you ask me.

It's not like your computer will be away from the house or building anyway, so I really don't see the big issue people are having here.

I am using a MBP for my main computer. There are many times where I don't want to have it open just to play music or a movie (or, if someone else wants to play music when the MBP isn't in the house). Having media stored locally (especially my entire music collection) is a simpler way to go, for me. I'm sure a lot of users will agree, especially considering the number threads about HD upgrades and other mods.

RCCola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Why?

I'm sure the streaming will work fine. My point is I don't want a desktop on when I don't need it. If I listen to music all day (or all week) then I don't want a desktop computer/monitor/exhard-drives/etc on the whole time. Waste of energy (multiply by a million users and it equals a BIG waste of energy).

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I'm sure the streaming will work fine. My point is I don't want a desktop on when I don't need it. If I listen to music all day (or all week) then I don't want a desktop computer/monitor/exhard-drives/etc on the whole time. Waste of energy (multiply by a million users and it equals a BIG waste of energy).

Most people will have their computers on when using an AppleTV anyway, so what difference does that make ? :rolleyes:

RCCola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think most people have their computer on when their listening to music, that's the whole point of storage on ATV.
But I understand the reasoning. It's the first step for ALL your data streaming from a cloud. 1 version of everything, multiple devices.
Nice and simple.
Not really sure if I want ALL my data on someone else's server anyway.
With the flick of a switch or some fck up and you could lose EVERYTHING.

Sounds like cloud music steaming is a way off anyway.

I'd be happy with an expandable drive option on an ATV.

Fantasy Guy

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
Something I've just realised that concerns me more (and makes me think I should cancel my preorder) - the new ATV doesn't have analogue out.

I currently have HDMI to my TV and the RCAs going to my hi-fi to make it a 'home cinema' but also to stream music from my Mac to my hi-fi.

But, unless I'm mistaken, with the new ATV, I won't be able to do this. How many hi-fi's have an optical input anyway?!

gobes

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
I just leave the iMac on sleep mode all the time, and selected the option to be woken by the network, so the apple tv turns it on when I want to stream from it. Then it will go back to sleep when I'm not using it.

Perfect for me.
Never even used the storage on my apple tv, just stream. So the new :apple:TV is exactly what I use it for. But I see no need in me upgrading?

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Something I've just realised that concerns me more (and makes me think I should cancel my preorder) - the new ATV doesn't have analogue out.

I currently have HDMI to my TV and the RCAs going to my hi-fi to make it a 'home cinema' but also to stream music from my Mac to my hi-fi.

But, unless I'm mistaken, with the new ATV, I won't be able to do this. How many hi-fi's have an optical input anyway?!

You can buy an external DAC and feed it with the optical output, but that defeats the object somewhat of a small cheap self-contained box. The DAC wasn't great in the original Apple TV anyway, so I'm already using an external one. However I do need local storage, I don't want or need a computer on while listening to music or looking at my photos, so I won't be buying a new one.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
You can buy an external DAC and feed it with the optical output, but that defeats the object somewhat of a small cheap self-contained box. The DAC wasn't great in the original Apple TV anyway, so I'm already using an external one. However I do need local storage, I don't want or need a computer on while listening to music or looking at my photos, so I won't be buying a new one.

What is a DAC? I am in the same boat, I also use my ATV to play music through my stereo in living room when TV is not on; have Airport Express in Kitchen and Master Bedroom so I can play music from iMac throughout the house. It would seem like the new ATV would eliminate that option for the living room unless I want to buy another Airport Express for the system in the living room in addition to the new ATV - doesn't really make sense for me.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Digital to analog converter. Normally this is built into digital audio devices like Apple TV and CD players so you can plug analog leads directly into it. You can also get separate ones that are smallish boxes that input a digital signal and output analog signals. These are often better quality than the inbuilt versions, but the law of diminishing returns applies to what you get for your money. They range from a reasonable price to absurdly expensive, but unless you are using lossless audio files into high end equipment, lower end of the scale will be fine.

Here's a simple example which would probably work fine:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/spdif-digital-to-analogue-stereo-audio-converter/70408.html

And towards the other end of the scale:

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/cyrus/cyrus-dac-x-791085-395863-.php

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Most people will have their computers on when using an AppleTV anyway, so what difference does that make ? :rolleyes:

What data are you drawing that conclusion from? We use our AppleTV as our main server. I don't want to have to keep my MacPro with 2 monitors on just to listen to music in the living room and on our patio.

There are many people who do not leave their computers on all the time. For those of you who do, this is not a big deal. For those of us who don't, it is a very big deal.

purd002

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
What data are you drawing that conclusion from? We use our AppleTV as our main server. I don't want to have to keep my MacPro with 2 monitors on just to listen to music in the living room and on our patio.

There are many people who do not leave their computers on all the time. For those of you who do, this is not a big deal. For those of us who don't, it is a very big deal.

It's not only leaving your computer on, there have been many times i've had to walk to the other part of the house to start itunes as I don't always leave it on. No itunes, no streaming.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
It's not only leaving your computer on, there have been many times i've had to walk to the other part of the house to start itunes as I don't always leave it on. No itunes, no streaming.

That's exactly my issue with it. I have a computer that I use as a file and print server, so it's on all the time anyway. I'd love to stream music from it, but I would need it to be logged in with iTunes running. Does anyone know if this will still be required for the new AppleTV or the new iTunes?

It would be nice if they could just have an iTunes service that runs in the background for streaming. I think the Squeezebox has this.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009

:rolleyes: back at cha :eek: and I bought my appletv for its music capability, in fact i like it so much i got a 2nd one :D, both 160gb that work independently and do not require my imac in my home office to be on :p

:rolleyes: so speak for yourself not the most of us :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.