Apple TV HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sesshi, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

With it's height it can't possibly be a 2.5" disk, can it?

When I read about the 40Gb HDD, I was thinking wow... it could contain transcoded MP3's of my newly tidied library if I stuck a 160 ~ 200Gb drive in there so it would be a great standalone machine for the bedroom, but that looks unlikely at this point. Anyone know for sure?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Why not buy one and let us know?

Better yet you can use Apple's Time Machine™

3. uNext macrumors 6502

That would be awesome.

Standalone mac media house for 299?

I am pretty sure there will be plenty of hacks to accomdate larger hard drives in that beauty.

I cant wait.

4. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

No thanks. I already have Shadow Copy on my server.

One possibility is that USB port of course (support for external drives has not been announced, nor whether it would talk to NASs of course)... but my assumption is that with the height of the unit and all the other electronics it has to contain (especially given that it has the PSU inside as well), the HDD inside is most likely to be a 1.8". I do hope I'm wrong because I do like the way it seems to work, and putting a 200gb drive in there would make it very nice indeed.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

If it's 2.5", first thing I'm doing with that puppy is ripping it open and putting my MBP 200GB hard drive in it so I can upgrade to a 300GB.

6. ky0t3 macrumors newbie

I could have sworn that I read somewhere (maybe during the Keynote) that content doesn't get stored on the hard drive. That it more or less caches streamed content. I hope that's not the case and we can either upgrade or add an external USB drive.

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Jobs was quite clear about it on the keynote. It syncs.

Although whether this is a repeat of the "new MBP's have screens brighter than the ACD" claim remains to be seen... but I doubt even Jobs would spin that far.