Apple TV HDMI output problem?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Subiklim, Feb 17, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

I got an apple TV a few weeks ago, worked fine until I installed Take 2 wherein after I would leave it for a few hours, when I would turn the TV back on, it would be flashing "no signal" then for a few seconds tv menu would pop up, then go back to "no signal". I brought it in to apple, they gave me a new one, SAME issue with the new one. Fwiw, this phenomenon does not occur when using component output.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Guest

no problems here. try another cable, some of them are defective..

3. macrumors 6502a

I have a Samsung 57" DLP HD, and my Apple TV is connected via HDMI. With v. 1.0 and 1.1, when I switched my Samsumg's input selector to HDMI, I would get a weird, bad screen, and often the sound would be static.

With v 2.0, the Sammy is happy -- it tells me "No Signal" and I then see the Apple TV resetting its HDMI output, and then I see the Apple TV screen saver.

This could be an issue with your HDMI input and the way V 2. 0 is resetting its output. (Of course I have no solution for you, but perhaps there's something on your TV Mfr's website?)

4. macrumors newbie

I got an apple TV yesterday and I'm having the same issue as the OP. TV is a Samsung LE40A557P2FXXU, 40" LCD. Running over HDMI works ok occasionally, but sometimes doesn't (it just starts out with the symptoms below). Without fail, swapping to a different input source on the TV and then back causes the screen to come up with "Searching for signal", display the Apple TV input for a second then flicker off back to the searching dialogue - its almost like it somehow can't "lock on" to the HDMI input or something? Anyhow, I'm able to run it via component so it isn't a big deal to me, just vaguely irritating, but if anyone comes up with a solution, or can use details of my experience to work out what is happening, so much the better.

Luke

5. macrumors 65816

Did this issue get sorted? I have a Apple TV with v3.01 on connected to my Humax TV (720p), with an HDMI cable v1.3

the main menus are rock steady, but in the iTunes bits eg search movie I get flickering and black screen. Why only in these menus? Is it the same issue?

Please help
    thanks

6. macrumors newbie

My AppleTV is so inconsistent in day to day use. One day, everything's fine. The next day I may get an HDMI message 15 minutes into a movie saying the content can't be displayed and to use component... Why did it decide to give this message 15 minutes after starting the movie (which I purchased on the AppleTV?!?!?).

Other nights the AppleTV won't even show up on our Toshiba 36" LCD TV. I usually have to unplug AppleTV and then plug it back in to get it to work. Hello, Apple, why leave out a POWER SWITCH?!??!?!?!?!?

Still other days, like tonight, the AppleTV does both. Gives me an HDMI error while watching a movie, then disappears from the TV. The Toshiba gives a "no signal found" message. I have restarted (unplugged) the AppleTV twice shut the TV down and unplugged all cables and plugged them back in without any success.

I'm tired of the AppleTV being a "hobby"! I've been an Apple supporter for over 16+ years and cannot believe they released such a product and that it hasn't had hardly any attention over the past few years. When it works, it's GREAT! I love it, but it is not a typical Apple product (in regards to the "it just works" phrase). It plain sucks right now.

7. macrumors regular

I hope you are aware that your TV is a piece of ****, and thus unlikely to work with anything ever. Open it up some time. It's made mostly of ashes, paperclips, and the children of NVA spies.

8. macrumors member

No Signal Issue

Apple TV is *****. I constantly have to unplug it to get a signal to the tv. I don't have this issue with other HDMI connected devices.