Apple TV hooked via analog connection like component

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ZZ Bottom, Sep 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2010
    This is probably blatantly obvious to many of you, which is why I am asking here. Will it be possible to hook the new ATV to a tv via a component connection? I'm guessing no unless I have some kind of conversion box.

2. macrumors 68020

Jan 17, 2008
    Big D
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    ZZ Bottom, I share your confusion.

I have a relatively modern (but still old) CRT TV. It is an expensive Loewe TV, which has a great picture and looks stunning. I want to keep it.

I would love to make the new Apple TV work for me, but my TV doesn't have a HDMI socket. I have an Apple ipod to Composite cable that I can use to stream video and music off my iPhone to my TV. It works pretty well but has none of the slickness of the Apple TV. Why is it not possible to do something similar with the Apple TV without a really expensive converter (hundreds of pounds)?
  4. macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    That article talks about encrypted stuff, so meaning if you rent anything from iTunes, it won't work, but if you are streaming your files, it will from what I understand.
  5. macrumors 65816

Sep 3, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    what article are you talking about? the one about the HDMI to composite, if it is it says more than that, it says, it does not work, period, for anything, it cannot convert digital HDMI to any thing analog.