Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gfog

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Mine still says September aswell ordered it the day after it was released! Hoping it ships soon.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Sept. 29 is exactly 4 weeks after the announcement, at which time Steve quoted 4 weeks as the launch time frame. So, my money is on the 29th. Additionally, I wouldn't be at all surprised to read on Sept 27 that people start seeing updated shipping info online, and possibly even some units making it into customers hands.

Just my guess.

PeterTk

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
I just pre-ordered today, and my date shows Oct. 14th. Ouch. I'm in Canada, btw.

jpswansea

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
UK
Shipping Date/Launch Date

Hi Guys

Went into the Apple Store on Monday and asked what date were they expecting to launch the Apple TV. The assistant said they still have no date and staff won't be told until the night before. But like your all stated, there's only a week or so left! :)

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I am guessing we will see ours at our doors late next week on the 30th.

It will ship on the 29th and deliver on the 30th.

brotato

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
My credit card was just charged today so I am expecting it to ship today or tomorrow. I ordered it on sep 1st along with a nano which also shipped the day my card was charged. Hopefully stores will have them tomorrow or Friday!

pdyebrasil

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
You already got charged?! I ordered mine before the keynote even finished... and I still am not showing a charge from Apple. I'm sure it'll be here soon. I'm just readying all of my media in iTunes. It's gonna be great!

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
My credit card was just charged today so I am expecting it to ship today or tomorrow. I ordered it on sep 1st along with a nano which also shipped the day my card was charged. Hopefully stores will have them tomorrow or Friday!

BEST NEWS ALL DAY!!! WOO HOOO!!!!!

I ordered mine on 9/2 because stupid me thought I ordered it on 9/1 but never finished the order. So mine still says ships september and no CC charge, but here is to hoping I see it before the weekend!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm excited for this. I'm getting my Dad one for Christmas (and may get myself one too). I've begun ripping his entire movie collection (an effort between me and my Mom but I can rip 8 movies in the time it takes her to rip one :eek: We have HUNDREDS to rip.)

I should be done by Christmas just in time for him to hook up his new Apple TV.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm excited for this. I'm getting my Dad one for Christmas (and may get myself one too). I've begun ripping his entire movie collection (an effort between me and my Mom but I can rip 8 movies in the time it takes her to rip one :eek: We have HUNDREDS to rip.)

I should be done by Christmas just in time for him to hook up his new Apple TV.
Out of interest can I ask your procedure and settings? using Handbrake? what preset - Apple TV one? custom etc?

cheers

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Out of interest can I ask your procedure and settings? using Handbrake? what preset - Apple TV one? custom etc?

cheers

I know you didn't ask me, but here are my settings for Handbrake as I find them to work out well.

Custom Setting
Framerate - Same as source
2 Pass Encoding - Check
Turbo First Pass - Check
Average Bitrate - 1500 (usually comes out anywhere from 1600-1900kbps)

Hope this helps you out in your conversions.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I know you didn't ask me, but here are my settings for Handbrake as I find them to work out well.

Custom Setting
Framerate - Same as source
2 Pass Encoding - Check
Turbo First Pass - Check
Average Bitrate - 1500 (usually comes out anywhere from 1600-1900kbps)

Hope this helps you out in your conversions.

What do you do about hard drive space for this? Is his computer a desktop or laptop?

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
What do you do about hard drive space for this? Is his computer a desktop or laptop?

Mac Pro. I have the 640gb original HD for OS X only, then a 2TB for iTunes (1.2TB used), 1.5TB for Backup of the itunes library, 1 TB backup of just iTunes TV Shows/Concerts (have over 300 live concerts), and a few other drives to keep redundant backups of iTunes. Right now my iTunes library is 23,000 songs all encoded at 256kbps AAC w/VBR and 110 movies, and 1317 TV Shows/Concerts/Kid Shows. Its a bit insanity.

Which is why I am so ready for the new Apple TV. As you can tell by my library there is no way for me to put this on 1 device, so streaming is a go for me. I am so ready, it cannot get here soon enough.

itsmequinn

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
My credit card got charged too. Woohoo! There was a hold on it on sept 1 when I ordered but that went away and this one's the real deal

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Mac Pro. I have the 640gb original HD for OS X only, then a 2TB for iTunes (1.2TB used), 1.5TB for Backup of the itunes library, 1 TB backup of just iTunes TV Shows/Concerts (have over 300 live concerts), and a few other drives to keep redundant backups of iTunes. Right now my iTunes library is 23,000 songs all encoded at 256kbps AAC w/VBR and 110 movies, and 1317 TV Shows/Concerts/Kid Shows. Its a bit insanity.

Which is why I am so ready for the new Apple TV. As you can tell by my library there is no way for me to put this on 1 device, so streaming is a go for me. I am so ready, it cannot get here soon enough.

Cool. I'm thinking whether it will be worth it to convert my DVD collection to itunes formats (I only have a small collection) but because of how long it takes to do and storage involved (I only have a macbook pro with a 320GB HDD, guess I could get a 500GB though) i'm not sure if it's worth it.

I have another question, for tv shows, what's the best way to seperate them into each episode while keeping it in an apple tv format? Before I would rip it with handbrake, trim it with quicktime but quicktime puts it in a format apple tv can't read (Quicktime format)

I understand iMovie could be used for this, but you can't import m4v (or mp4, I forget) files for some reason.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Cool. I'm thinking whether it will be worth it to convert my DVD collection to itunes formats (I only have a small collection) but because of how long it takes to do and storage involved (I only have a macbook pro with a 320GB HDD, guess I could get a 500GB though) i'm not sure if it's worth it.

I have another question, for tv shows, what's the best way to seperate them into each episode while keeping it in an apple tv format? Before I would rip it with handbrake, trim it with quicktime but quicktime puts it in a format apple tv can't read (Quicktime format)

I understand iMovie could be used for this, but you can't import m4v (or mp4, I forget) files for some reason.

I am a little confused by your question. When I rip my TV Shows from DVD's in handbrake it already breaks them out into separate episodes. You just set up a queue of 3-6 episodes per DVD and let handbrake work its magic. After handbrake is done I use MetaX to get all the artwork, tags, descriptions. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

When I was using a MBP what I did was I had an external firewire drive, 1.5TB Seagate (still used as my primary itunes backup) for all my iTunes stuff. Otherwise you will always start to run out of room and although this is not great when you are on the road as you will not have your iTunes library it was my best solution as my iTunes library is a bit excessive.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I am a little confused by your question. When I rip my TV Shows from DVD's in handbrake it already breaks them out into separate episodes. You just set up a queue of 3-6 episodes per DVD and let handbrake work its magic. After handbrake is done I use MetaX to get all the artwork, tags, descriptions. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

When I was using a MBP what I did was I had an external firewire drive, 1.5TB Seagate (still used as my primary itunes backup) for all my iTunes stuff. Otherwise you will always start to run out of room and although this is not great when you are on the road as you will not have your iTunes library it was my best solution as my iTunes library is a bit excessive.

Oh! I didn't realise you could do that. Ok, I think I know what you mean. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.