Apple TV in Buyer's Guide

Discussion in 'Mac Guides' started by iDAG, Feb 12, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

iDAG

The software release for this today made me think of this. Why is there no buyer's guide for the tv yet?

2. macrumors regular

Probably because it hasn't undergone major updates yet (only minor HDD and software updates came out) so it's not possible to estimate each revisions' life cycle :)

3. macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I doubt that's the reason. The iPhone and iPod touch both made it into the buyer's guide before they had any revisions at all. More than likely it's because Jobs called the :apple:tv a "hobby" and it was interpretted to be just that until this most recent software upgrade. Much like there is no buyer's guide for the AirPort Express Base Station or Time Capsule. That's just my guess though... the Buyer's Guide is up for anyone's guess.

-Ado

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

It is one of the major things that are for sale in the Apple online store though, it is something that a majority of the MWSF keynote was spent on this year. I think its time for one to be made up.

5. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The Apple TV is difficult to predict. It hasn't been hardware updated yet - just a hard drive bump. It's possible that the Apple TV won't get hardware updated for a long long time. There's really no need to add a faster processor or anything in it... it does what it's supposed to do. It plays rental movies.

arn

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

You are right, there really isn't any hardware upgrades (besides the hard drive) that would need updated regularly. Thanks for your answer arn.

7. macrumors regular

That's what I was actually thinking before thinking about the revisions, but then the other explanation seemed more logical and I went for it.
    Until I noticed the iPod Touch and iPhone were in, though they technically received an update (16Gb and 32Gb storage bumps).

8. macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

9. macrumors 68000

lofight

For people to known if it is a good time to buy a product. You can see a link to it, on the up-right of this page.

10. macrumors newbie

Time Capsule Buyer's Guide

Anyone have any "buyer's guide" type thoughts about buying the Time Capsule? Adding another type of interface than just the usb 2.0? Larger size? Any other random thoughts?

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

Time Capsule is not one of the products that Apple tries to keep in the spotlight like the tv.

12. macrumors newbie

cant upgrade harddrive

apple cant upgrade the hard drive in the :apple:tv with out redesigning it because the current :apple:tvs have ata hard drives and 160gb is the max on that technology with out updating the hard drive interface to sata its not posable to upgrade. ps would be nice to see a 500gb :apple:tv :D:D:D:D:D:apple::):)

13. macrumors regular

I dont even use more then 5gb of HD space on my :apple:TV so i would like to see one with a smaller HD for 1/2 the cost. i use 4TB of SATAs on my Imac to store all my movies/tvshows

14. macrumors 604

Cave Man

The largest PATA drive for the ATV is 250 gb. And, yes, it is nice to have a 500 gig drive for my ATV. I'll probably have a 1 TB drive before the end of the year. ;)

Steaming can be a drag - or should I say, lag. It's nice having those high bitrate movies synced, because then you can move through them quite quickly. ;)