Apple TV in the UK

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shandyman, Sep 21, 2010.

1. macrumors 603

Since the americans get Netflix in their new Apple TV, will us brits get love film? as i would really like this feature.....

2. macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Wait a bit longer, Netflix is coming to the UK towards the end of the year, or the early part of next year (2011).

It'll just be streaming, same as what was launched in Canada today.

I can't wait!

3. macrumors regular

Has there been any official announcement from Netflix about the UK market, or is that just optimistic speculation? Would be nice if it is true...

4. macrumors 6502

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a200103/netflix-to-relaunch-in-uk-in-2010.html

5. macrumors 68020

steviem

I find it odd that lovefilm never did this model in the uk.

For me, just streaming my itunes content is good enough right now. Airplay and my MLB.tv at bat app will be used a fair bit too.

6. macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Same... Only if Apple put a bit of effort in, and we get iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5... That would be the Apple TV on Steroids.

7. macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. That is encouraging. Of course, that doesn't mean Apple will rush to support Netflix in the UK (or Canada) - they may have to renegotiate things... but fingers crossed.

That would be outstanding :D

Even just BBC iPlayer support on the new Apple TV would make it much more tempting (something most UK folk on this forum have already wished for).

8. macrumors 6502a

I wish this too, however the fact that the last apple TV didn't get support for any makes the chances low...unless this app store comes to be. Don't understand why it doesn't support it

9. macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Because Apple is a US corporation, meaning they don't care about anyone outside the US.

If the Apple TV App Store is true, don't be surprised if iPlayer is the first to arrive.

10. macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

Totally agree, BBC iPlayer will be one of the first to appear as an App on the new AppleTV. I totally think this will happen, 100%.

11. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've already got iPlayer working on my Apple TV. ;)

12. macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Ok then, how about we say when we get it without voiding our warranties? :rolleyes:

13. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It only works on the old Apple TV and we all know that's just a piece of old obsolete junk. :p

:D

14. Guest

AAPLaday

If we get Netflix i might cough up the dough and get one. Im not a big TV person but i like the idea of the films that aren't worth buying on Blu ray but still worth a watch.

15. thread starter macrumors 603

well just a thought, but with airplay off the iPad working for any video on a site, then could use the iPlayer on the iPad browser and airplay to the Apple TV maybe, could also use TV catchup to stream live freeview too at that matter...

16. macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

The stream to the iPlayer/iPhone 4 would look horrible at full res, due to being blown up even further...

17. thread starter macrumors 603

the iPad version appears to stream at a higher quality than the iPhone stream, not sure if they updated the iPhone stream to cope with the iPhone 4 though, so that could be why the stream on the iPhone 4 might not be great at the moment. also BBC said they're bringing HD to the iPlayer on the iPad soon.

18. macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

...Awesome! That is some really good news, thanks for sharing this mate.

19. thread starter macrumors 603

well the iPad version of the iPlayer site was made for it, so would think that the resolution was upped accordingly, from what i read, it uses the same interface as the PS3 iPlayer app. so by that logic, should look ok streaming via airplay. guess we will have to wait and see though!

20. macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Doesn't the PS3 iPlayer use flash though?

21. thread starter macrumors 603

22. macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I've had a look and yes - the PS3 is on flash whilst the iPad/iPhone have dedicated streams just for them.

I'm almost certain that we will see iPlayer on the tv, be it through some sort of hack, apps or built in by default.

23. thread starter macrumors 603

well they both use the same interface and the iPad has a seperate stream to the iPhone.

24. macrumors 6502a

Could work, but in my opinion too much hassle. Would be much easier to stream it directly from the :apple: TV. I wonder if airplay will come to mac OSX too? Personally I very rarely watch videos on my iPhone as the screen is too small so I watch them on my mac.