Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmorrow76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
St. Louis
Ok, so I'm no newbie to the ATV. I ditched cable over 2 years ago & have been running only on ATVs. Just picked up 3 new ATVs & only one will actually connect to my iTunes library. Anyone else having this issue?

Also, can you no longer configure the content you want to sync to the ATV? I have one in my son's room & in the past always selected only kids shows & music to be synced but the new ATVs are not even showing in iTunes.

HT Guy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
My ATV2 has connected intermittently to the Apple store even though it has a good signal. My iPad can connect when the ATV cannot. I am willing to give the ATV2 some more time to get it together.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Ok, so I'm no newbie to the ATV. I ditched cable over 2 years ago & have been running only on ATVs. Just picked up 3 new ATVs & only one will actually connect to my iTunes library. Anyone else having this issue?

Also, can you no longer configure the content you want to sync to the ATV? I have one in my son's room & in the past always selected only kids shows & music to be synced but the new ATVs are not even showing in iTunes.

You can't sync content to the new Apple TV as it has no internal hard drive (At least, not one that you can freely use) only streaming is allowed.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I had my new one crash after selecting a chapter. Also where are the video settings for resolution? Under audio and video settings there are just audio settings.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I had my new one crash after selecting a chapter. Also where are the video settings for resolution? Under audio and video settings there are just audio settings.

If the only output for video is HDMI then you don't need resolution settings. HDMI is able to detect it during the handshake.

jmorrow76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
St. Louis
You can't sync content to the new Apple TV as it has no internal hard drive (At least, not one that you can freely use) only streaming is allowed.

Sorry mistype. I meant stream. While I do think the new ATV is a big improvement, I think it was a step backward to not include funtionality to customize what content can be streamed to a specific ATV.

While this may not be an issue for everyone, if Apple wants this to be a true alternative to cable at some point there has to be better customization for content selection.

Not sure I like the idea of my kid skimming over episodes of Dexter to get to a cartoon. Sure with parental controls setup he can't actually watch but ehh.

The ATV setup is actually perfect for kids given tge ability to have full control over what they see without being bombarded by commercials for crap.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
take another look at the AppleTV menus Settings/General/Parental Controls.

Parental Control is activated on the device, rather than in iTunes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.