Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
One can encode H.264 video with 5.1 Dolby Digital.This is the format for Dish Network's HD TV .Which is far superior to Comcast's HD which uses mpeg-2.
While I don't dispute the superiority of h264 vs. MPEG-2, the example of Dish's HD compression vs. Comcast's HD compression is off base.

The originating source material is broadcasted using MPEG-2. For the Dish system to offer HD channels in h264, they have to decode the MPEG-2 and then re-encode to h264. On the other hand, Comcast merely passes the MPEG-2 right through without. I would think that this only applies to OTA HD channels. As for "cable HD" channels (i.e. TNT-HD, HBO-HD, etc) I guess it would depend on how they receive the originating signal.

Also, DirecTV (and maybe Dish) has been known to transmit what is lovingly known as HD-Lite. What they do is take the original signal and down-res it to 1440x1080i (or worse), before encoding it to MPEG-2 (eventually MPEG-4). The results are that the HD channels tend to look very bad. When they go fully to MPEG-4, they may go back up to the proper resolution, or they may continue to down-res to cram in more channels.

Anyways, I think I drifted off-topic.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.