Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
My quick notes:

Remarkably small. I have a big gaping hole in my av shelf where the Apple TV used to be.

Generally works as expected ... which, by comparison to the original Apple TV, is a huge improvement. Seeking bugs fixed from the original Apple TV, virtually no jerkiness or massive stalling in starting up playback or browsing menus. Using the remote app doesn't cause playback to stall. This is the biggest thing I needed fixed from the original Apple TV.

New UI makes sense for rentals, kind of stinks for people using it to host playback from iTunes. Everything is buried under the computers menu. I would really, really, prefer my iTunes content to be at the top level and the store as a menu option or something.

TV shows are now sorted by individual seasons for some reason. This is really annoying and unnecessary. Apple, please change it back.

Movies and TV shows badly need additional sorting options.

Apple TV remote app is nice, but has a bug where you bring up the "control" pad and hitting done does nothing, which makes it impossible to dismiss. It's pretty much fatal as you can't get to any other part of the app. Needs a fix.

Doing everything through home sharing might be problematic in the future but seems OK for now.

I've seen the Apple TV get stuck at the "loading user's library" screen for a long time. Wonder if that's a bug or needs fixing.

All in all, worth it for me. Just the performance fixes alone do the job. The rest I hope they polish up as I can see some rough edges. But it's a good step forward.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Hopefully a jailbreak will be available so that we can customize this kind of stuff. Recently, they have confirmed that the ATV can be jailbroken so it's just a matter of time before apps will be available to tweak just about anything on this box. Pretty exciting stuff actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.