Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Had a quick question on what would be better for an HTPC experience. The Mac-Mini or AppleTV?

I thought Mac-Mini would be the better setup initially, but now with OSX Mountain Lion offering "Air Mirroring," I can mirror anything off of my Macbook Pro laptop to my TV...I'm not so sure anymore.

From what I've read, the Mac-Mini does not do airplay, while the AppleTV does.

Any opinions on which is better, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Asif

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Apple TV. Easier to navigate from the couch. No keyboard and mouse required. Try and find a Apple TV 2 if you can... then there's no airplay required. You can just stream from your NAS.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
I thought I read you could NOT stream content that was not in iTunes. So content in a NAS or another computer on a network would not work.

Also, I would like to use Airplay when it comes out to Mountain Lion, so I could watch hulu.com on my TV vs. on my Macbook pro screen.

Do Apple TV 2's have the airplay feature at all?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I thought I read you could NOT stream content that was not in iTunes. So content in a NAS or another computer on a network would not work.

Also, I would like to use Airplay when it comes out to Mountain Lion, so I could watch hulu.com on my TV vs. on my Macbook pro screen.

Do Apple TV 2's have the airplay feature at all?

The ATV2 can only play from a NAS if you jailbreak it. But yes, it does have AirPlay capability.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Can either of you guys link me to a video showing this functionality?

The ATV2 also only streams in 720P though correct?

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Not to thread hijack but I have a similar question, if I run a NAS as a plex server do I need a computer to be on to stream movies to my atv2?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Not to thread hijack but I have a similar question, if I run a NAS as a plex server do I need a computer to be on to stream movies to my atv2?

If its a NAS that actually runs the Plex Server program, like Synology or QNAP, then you can use that in conjunction with AirPlay from an iOS device to avoid having a computer run-thru. However if you're just going to have the media stored on the NAS, a computer is going to need to run the Server client.

Note that the AirPlay method works with ATV2 or 3. There is an ATV Plex Client program for jail broken ATV2s that can play directly from a NAS Plex server. It could also play the media directly via XBMC without having to have the Plex server installed on the NAS.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
If its a NAS that actually runs the Plex Server program, like Synology or QNAP, then you can use that in conjunction with AirPlay from an iOS device to avoid having a computer run-thru. However if you're just going to have the media stored on the NAS, a computer is going to need to run the Server client.

Note that the AirPlay method works with ATV2 or 3. There is an ATV Plex Client program for jail broken ATV2s that can play directly from a NAS Plex server. It could also play the media directly via XBMC without having to have the Plex server installed on the NAS.

Ok so about xmbc I wouldn't need a computer go between? I already have xmbc installed on my atv2 what 2-bay NAS solutions would work with this?

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
You can use an App such as FileBrowser to AirPlay content from NAS storage to an Apple TV, works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.