Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I am really thinking hard abought buying the Apple Tv to watch all my shows I have downloaded in Itunes, I would like to watch them on my big screen. Would I get the same results like sound and picture if I just hook my MBP to my HD Tv and watch them or spend the money on Apple Tv besides the storage it offers, my concern was the sound and picture, thanks...

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Since you're watching content from iTunes you're limited to 720p for video, which either your MBP or an ATV will play with aplomb. Ditto for 5.1 surround, provided you're using the proper optical connection.

I used my MBP for a little while to play movies on the big screen, but eventually moved to an ATV because its interface much easier in a living room environment. I control it with my iPhone, rather than having to have a wireless keyboard/mouse as with the MBP. And if you decide to unlock the real potential of the ATV by hacking it, then you can continue to use your MBP for storage and stream content onto ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.