Apple TV or Roku?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Huntn, Jan 6, 2013.

1. macrumors G3

Huntn

I've owned a RokuXD since 2010. Originally I went with Roku because they offered HD and Apple TV did not. It seems like it's time to upgrade and I'm wondering if Apple TV or the new Roku models have the best offerings- opinions? Thanks!

2. macrumors 6502a

I've had a Roku 2 XD since December 2011. I've used it primarily with Amazon Prime. When there's an HD version of a movie available, I'll watch it, but the image quality never looks better than 720p and typically more like SD. Maybe HD on Netflix, Hulu, etc. looks like 1080p, but I'll have to defer to other users about that.

Hope that helps.

3. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

Thanks! This Electronic House.com article says Roku outdoes Apple for content, but that if you have all ready bought into the Apple ecoworld, Apple TV might be better due to the mirror feature. I like Roku because it allows me to say I'm not a total Apple fan boy... :p

4. macrumors 68000

Yeah, it isn't about which is better. It is about what you want to use it for. If you want to stream iTunes content and other media off the home network, then clearly the aTV is the way to go. If you want access to more content (like Amazon, etc), then Roku is for you.

5. macrumors 6502

6. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

I understand your point. Thanks.

7. macrumors regular

I agree with the previous posters. Apple TV is great if you're really in the Apple ecosystem, especially if you've got a lot of shows, music, and movies in your iTunes library.

However, if your aim is to stream as much content as possible, the Roku has far more choices.