Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Heya guys,

Hoping you can help me.

First is the common problem I have seen all over the internet regarding to the homesharing losing connection resulting in the only remedy being to restart iTunes. This isn't ideal as it's in another room and also, this isn't supposed to happen! Any ideas?

The second thing is that, with the last two films I have bought through iTunes it has stopped at random places and just frozen the screen, fast forwarding results in a black screen but the time still elapsing, has anyone come across this?

Hope someone can help as out of all the Apple products this really is the most disappointing, verging in unusable...

Thanks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Heya guys,

Hoping you can help me.

First is the common problem I have seen all over the internet regarding to the homesharing losing connection resulting in the only remedy being to restart iTunes. This isn't ideal as it's in another room and also, this isn't supposed to happen! Any ideas?

The second thing is that, with the last two films I have bought through iTunes it has stopped at random places and just frozen the screen, fast forwarding results in a black screen but the time still elapsing, has anyone come across this?

Hope someone can help as out of all the Apple products this really is the most disappointing, verging in unusable...

Thanks

My first question is, is your ATV wired or wireless?

I have 2, one wired and one wireless, and I don't have any of the problems you have. So I wonder if yours is wireless and if there is interference causing the problems.

Also have you tried restoring it using a micro-USB cable and connecting it to iTunes on your computer?

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Thanks for your reply :)

It is wireless,going to try wired on a different network tomorrow.

I have updated to the latest firmware and it still happens so that could rule that out.

No firewalls etc, just a standard password over both internet connections.

The films that go blank play fine to the end on all other macs, just not on the atv, even after a reset. Really odd.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks for your reply :)

It is wireless,going to try wired on a different network tomorrow.

I have updated to the latest firmware and it still happens so that could rule that out.

No firewalls etc, just a standard password over both internet connections.

The films that go blank play fine to the end on all other macs, just not on the atv, even after a reset. Really odd.

See how the wired setup goes and if you still have problems, try doing a restore.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
See how the wired setup goes and if you still have problems, try doing a restore.

Have to go with the old adage here, ISP wired v wireless is almost certainly your issue. I too have two, one wired, one wireless, but I'm 50 Downup 40 up for which I pay a hefty price, but no glitches....My only real complaint a little off topic, is the lack of true 1080HD content, but that's another story.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Have to go with the old adage here, ISP wired v wireless is almost certainly your issue. I too have two, one wired, one wireless, but I'm 50 Downup 40 up for which I pay a hefty price, but no glitches....My only real complaint a little off topic, is the lack of true 1080HD content, but that's another story.

ISP issues are certainly a possibility, however OP says that content plays fine on his computer.

It must be UK issues with the lack of 1080p right? That stinks. But not to rub it in, I'm watching some Big Bang Theory and Breaking Bad 1080p on the ATV3 via iTunes, and it looks fabulous!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
ISP issues are certainly a possibility, however OP says that content plays fine on his computer.

It must be UK issues with the lack of 1080p right? That stinks. But not to rub it in, I'm watching some Big Bang Theory and Breaking Bad 1080p on the ATV3 via iTunes, and it looks fabulous!

Yep, some TV shows are starting to appear, but true 1080p movies? 7....I didn't really expect content to show up right away anyway, and I'm still finding great stuff for my iPad. We have a dedicated section on the ATV'S now, it's just pretty empty as yet:)

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK

Both of those shows are 1080p on the UK store I believe. It's just movies that are lacking.

In the past I have found that home sharing issues are often resolved by rebooting everything including the router and any switches on the wired network, ATV, computer etc. Another option is to avoid wireless and use powerline networking instead, if local interference is causing intermittent problems. That's what I use but mainly because other devices need a network connection too (tv, avr, Xbox etc) and it seems more stable with a physical connection for all of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.