Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret posts a brief blurb that the Apple TV's ship date has been pushed back to the beginning of March.

The original internal ship date for the Apple TV was said to be on February 20th, 2007, but internal targets have been reportedly been moved to the beginning of March.

Customers report that early Apple TV orders have not changed and still reflect a February 28th shipping date.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
i dont get why they would have to push back a release date for that?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Well seeing as February 28th is the last day in February a few days should not be to long for them to push it back. That is assuming that the dates on their early shipping are correct. Or at least near correct.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
this better not mean that leopard is being pushed back...i need it...it's no longer a want, I can't live without it!!!:D

andyh2

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2006
That sucks. Well, maybe something turned up that needed to be fixed immediately.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
With the previous news item, AppleTV might have been pushed back so Leopard's hidden secrets don't get released into the wild, considering Leopard is now only weeks away from being released?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Well seeing as February 28th is the last day in February a few days should not be to long for them to push it back. That is assuming that the dates on their early shipping are correct. Or at least near correct.

Being pushed back one day isnt a big deal, but if they are saying end of march that can sorta be a big deal.

With the previous news item, AppleTV might have been pushed back so Leopard's hidden secrets don't get released into the wild, considering Leopard is now only weeks away from being released?

They would have thought about that before. They knew they wouldnt have leopard out by feb. 28th or whenever so they wouldnt have it have anything to do with some special feature with leopard, atleast not one that we would be able to figure out just from halfing 1/2 of the two (leopard and :apple:TV)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
They would have thought about that before. They knew they wouldnt have leopard out by feb. 28th or whenever so they wouldnt have it have anything to do with some special feature with leopard, atleast not one that we would be able to figure out just from halfing 1/2 of the two (leopard and ?TV)

I suppose this could mean some certain Leopard-related features for :apple:TV will be rolled out from the start, when they might originally have been planned to wait for an update.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I suppose this could mean some certain Leopard-related features for :apple:TV will be rolled out from the start, when they might originally have been planned to wait for an update.

what kind of update?

Curtis72

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Not news at all...

The ship date for my Apple TV has always been Feb. 28th, and its delivery date has always been March 6th. If Apple TV is shipping slips to April, then there is reason for concern.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
The ship date for my Apple TV has always been Feb. 28th, and its delivery date has always been March 6th. If Apple TV is shipping slips to April, then there is reason for concern.

See there we go, no biggie problem solved

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I ordered :apple: TV first day... then cancelled it when I realised that I get more functionality from my networked TiVo and TiVo DeCode Manager.

I'll wait to see updates and upgrades, but for now, I think I'm too geeked out for it to be useful.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Well that's annoying. I'm getting a little impatient. I ordered my :apple:TV within about 5 minutes of the store going up after the keynote, so I'm hoping I'm one of the earlier shipments. That said, I'm going to be disappointed if they're not shipping until March. My order status still currently says Feb. 28 with delivery on March 6 (just like it always has).

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
For all the hype that was generated by this product months ago, I think this is gonna be a flop like the hifi. If it had more useful features like the slingboxes I would pick one up. But, with the itunes movie library being so small I just don't get it. I am not gonna stream music from itunes and I hell am not gonna stick a dvd in my imac to stream to my tv. So, if this could record my cable shows or I could access my dvd collection on the road and stream it to my laptop while i'm away from the computer then ok, but I think this thing is gonna be DOA if it even gets out the DOOR.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
So, if this could record my cable shows or I could access my dvd collection on the road and stream it to my laptop while i'm away from the computer then ok, but I think this thing is gonna be DOA if it even gets out the DOOR.

Thank American capitalism for it, but it is really unlikely that you can get a device that'd (cue some random MPAA exec) "... be a license for thieves to steal America's intellectual property ..."

Format shifting of DVDs currently violates the DMCA. It is as bad as running OS X on a PC!

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
I wonder if they are delaying this to include the latest Draft "n" update?

As much as I like Apple technology, I can not for the life of me see how this has any useful value. I would not mind having a dedicated iTunes music server, but due to the very limited storage space this thing has, it's a non-starter in my book.:confused:

stew278

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
... but I think this thing is gonna be DOA if it even gets out the DOOR.

I'm in agreement ... this just keeps looking like a waste of $300. That much to stream (limited) content to HD TV? It's just not that compelling.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Take it for a grain of salt. It is, need i remind you, ThinkSecret - the omniscient of all rumor websites.

Nonetheless, I'm growing a little antsy. I can't say I was disappointed because the date has not changed. Feb. 28, ships March.

Next song.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
There always seems to be a few people who claim that the Apple TV has absolutely no value. I think the Apple TV is a great device that will offer me quite a bit. Allow me to demonstrate:

Music
- I can eradicate all physical CDs and CD players and instead deal with digital files (all my music is ripped as high bit-rate AAC or Apple Lossless). Loading and unloading a CD is simply barbaric in this day and age and having to plug in your iPod has several shortcomings in terms of storage and interface.
- I have access to *all* my music from my nice home theater set-up via a very simple and clean interface. Pure digital files via pure digital connection (HDMI) = high sound quality.
- All my music is already in iTunes and this works seamlessly with that library.

Video
- I can rip all my DVDs to disc and not have to deal with physical DVDs or DVD players but instead can browse and watch my entire movie collection without having to leave my chair (Thank you, Handbrake).
- Should I be so inclined, I can purchase and view iTunes TV shows and movies form my living room (probably won't do this much, but the ability makes iTunes purchases much more tempting).

vs. "mac mini"
- I don't have to set-up, configure, or maintain a separate, dedicated computer.
- I can keep all my media on my main computer as always (nice and simple). No dealing with synchronizing content, dedicated media networked drives, and other complications.
- Save $300 vs. the Mac Mini alternative (I don't really need a full computer in the living room... the web browsing provided by the Wii/PS3 already fills my limited needs there).

And the hard drive in the Apple TV is a fancy cache useful if you have a slow wireless connection. draft-N and even G should be fine for streaming pretty much all but high bit-rate 720p content without the need for any local (to the Apple TV) storage. The Apple TV essentially has unlimited storage (as it just grabs content from your computer and you can add as much storage as you want there).

My entire CD and DVD collection at my fingertips in my living room via a nice Apple interface? $300 seems like a fair price for that. Is there something I'm missing here?

vkxonline

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
Padriac, good points. I've never understood the "so useless" and "no point" arguments. While I still think 300 dollars is a lot to pay for such a device, not having to hook up your computer to your TV seems worth atleast the concept here - not to mention the new interface. Not everyone wants to to buy a new computer to hook to a TV, and anyone who has tried that setup knows it has it's fair share of problems - overscan, for one. We can't really weigh in until we have the device in our homes to try out, but I think conceptually there's at least a market for it.

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
Not *completely* useless

I certainly don't consider it useless - but having no divX, and having to have everything in iTunes (ie, it doesn't even see your Movies folder on your remote machine) certainly limits the usefulness to many.

The 720p isn't a bit deal, but certainly limits the bragging rights when others (including Xboxs and PS3s) can do 1080p - unusual because you expect Apple stuff to be leading edge, which this device isn't in many ways (apart from the UI perhaps).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.