Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_4_4.jpg
Alongside today's release of iOS 5, Apple also pushed out version 4.4 of the software for its iOS-based Apple TV set-top box. As noted by Macworld, the update brings a number of new features to Apple TV.
- AirPlay Mirroring: Now with video mirroring - wirelessly stream what's on your iPad 2 screen to your HDTV.

- Photo Stream: View photos recently taken on your iOS device and pushed to your Photo Stream in iCloud.

- Trailers: A whole new way to browse and view hundreds of the latest theatrical trailers.

- National Hockey League: Watch live games. View highlights, scores, and more.

- Wall Street Journal Live: Watch up-to-date news, business commentary, and financial analysis from leading experts.
Macworld also notes that Apple has added support for subtitles in Netflix and three new slideshow themes: Photo Wall, Flip-up, and Shifting Tiles.

Article Link: Apple TV Software Update Adds Photo Stream, NHL Games, Wall Street Journal

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Photo Stream on AppleTV...awesome.

fdot

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
took a long time to get the update and my other apple tv says no update available cause it was on a beta... tried to restore but says not available at this time

welfaremike

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2003
When are we getting apps? I want to get rid of my Roku...give me HuluPlus!

Awesome that they have hockey now...maybe the NFL will get their act together...:rolleyes:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
What need will you have for an app store when you can wirelessly mirror your phone to the TV at any time? All your apps are already on the TV! (well, the ones that allow mirroring anyway, haha).

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Meh...

No App store... still?

Hockey? Really?

No live.twit.tv?
No NASCAR Raceview?
No Amazon Prime Video?

It's likely a welcome upgrade for current owners, but still leaves the AppleTV severely lacking compared to a mac mini...

StrikerObi

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
When are we getting apps? I want to get rid of my Roku...give me HuluPlus!

Awesome that they have hockey now...maybe the NFL will get their act together...:rolleyes:

I agree. I can't believe there still isn't a Hulu+ app for AppleTV. It's a huge service, and I guarantee you that a lot more people watch Hulu+ than watch the NHL, or care about stock info from the Journal.

I hate having to use my PS3 and Xbox for Hulu+. The PS3 is horribly laggy and cannot properly buffer a stream. The Xbox streams wonderfully, but the interface is awful (the queue is sorted OLDEST first with no way to swap and see the newest content, forcing you to scroll through 25-item chunks to get to the very end of the list where the new shows are).

I just want a nice slick Hulu+ app for the AppleTV to simplify things like it does for Netflix.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone know how the new NHL feature works? Do you have to have GameCenter Live? I went to Apple's support page, but it hasn't been updated yet.....

TIO

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
NFL seems to be impossible, uh. I think it is better than Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey combined.
Good update though.

Not a surprising comment coming from someone from Florida (no offense, Florida just isn't a big hockey state). It's too bad, too, because you have a very solid, exciting young team in the Tampa Bay Lightning. You should consider giving hockey a chance... you might be surprised.

The addition of NHL GameCenter Live is awesome for me. I recently purchased the season package, and had been streaming live from my iPad 2, which works pretty well. It's a battery killer, though, so this will be a huge improvement.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
• freedom from the Mac (meaning, no need to have a Mac on to watch my library) Add some external hard drive support over a network. Like connecting an external drive with my media to an AEBS or something.

• app store
• 1080p

That would be a huge upgrade!

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
No App store... still?

Hockey? Really?

No live.twit.tv?
No NASCAR Raceview?
No Amazon Prime Video?

It's likely a welcome upgrade for current owners, but still leaves the AppleTV severely lacking compared to a mac mini...

Apple TV 2 is only $99...a Mac Mini is way more...and makes more more noise..

----------

• freedom from the Mac (meaning, no need to have a Mac on to watch my library) Add some external hard drive support over a network. Like connecting a external drive with my media to an AEBS or something.

• app store
• 1080p

That would be a huge upgrade!

IOS 6 and Apple TV 3...with the A6 Chip Quad Core chip...hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.