Apple TV Software Update to Arrive Alongside iOS 7 on September 18

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As noted late last week, Apple will indeed be releasing a major software update for the Apple TV in the near future. While that update was not mentioned at yesterday's media event, it will be arriving next week on September 18, the same day Apple is scheduled to release iOS 7 to the public, reports AllThingsD.

The new report repeats the previous observation that a notable new feature in the software update will be a change to allow purchased content from the iTunes Store to be played directly on Apple TVs that do not own the content. This is a change from the current system which requires users to load the content onto mobile devices for playback on an Apple TV via AirPlay.
    While Apple did not debut a new model of the Apple TV at yesterday's iPhone media event, the company has made numerous updates to the device, including the recent addition of new apps for Vevo, The Weather Channel, the Disney Channel, the Smithsonian Channel, and more. Currently, the Apple TV retails for $99 and is sold through Apple's online and traditional retail stores.

Article Link: Apple TV Software Update to Arrive Alongside iOS 7 on September 18

2. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

I want to play my games through Apple TV with no lag!

3. macrumors G3

rhett7660

This is interesting. I wonder if this will work with only with items purchased (yes I see it says only purchased, but this is not an official announcement from Apple)? What about those items that are in the cloud that you have loaded up say with Apple iCloud service?

I hope that it is anything you have on your device you will be able airplay it. I can dream.

4. macrumors member

Are these releases usually right at midnight? Pacific time?

5. macrumors regular

This is really great for when I see the family for Thanksgiving. They have an Apple TV but don't have nearly as many movies and tv shows as I do.

6. macrumors 6502

yes. this is my favorite and most used apple product.

----------

anyone have a link to a nice description of how presentation mode works in a business setting? Does it only work with Macs?

7. macrumors 6502

"OK… nobody look at the screen while I enter my password!"

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors 65816

musika

10. macrumors regular

It needs something.

Still holding out for a SDK and apps etc.

11. macrumors regular

Just press your thumb on the bottom of the screen.

12. macrumors G5

gnasher729

That's where TouchID comes handy.

13. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Wonder if they'd do something where the game is installed on the Apple TV and an app installed on your handheld iOS device turns it into a customizable control surface tailored to suit the games commands. This'd let the game run fast on the ATV, and minimal data streaming over wifi run light & fast as well.

...sort of like what they should & will inevitably have to do with laptops. ...run OSX on the vertical screen and an ipad on the horizontal.

14. macrumors 6502

Thank goodness.
    I was so disappointed they didn't even mention the apple tv in their media event.

15. macrumors newbie

dogbertd

I agree: I have to say my enthusiasm for OS7 is low: I think it looks horrible, and I'd much rather Apple stopped trying to mess with the UI and started trying to give us new features on the ATV. Apps, please!

16. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

lol I thought the exact same thing.

17. macrumors newbie

18. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have no use for an Apple TV until it receives Amazon VOD. Ill stick to a much better Roku product for now, Airplay is completely useless to me and doesn't entice me even in the slightest.

19. macrumors regular

without a SDK and Apps, Apple TV is still dead in the water

20. macrumors member

Lower lag + MFi game controllers would turn Apple TV + iPhone into a great gaming console. But only if they can get the lag down to values similar to OnLive or other streaming services.

[​IMG]

21. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

Why can't Apple announce these types of things at it's events?

For Apple's stock NOT to fall, all Tim needed to do was put up a slide with pictures of watches, tvs, laptops and iPads and say 'more exciting products to announce in October.'

Very, very silly that Tim can't do this.

22. macrumors 6502

The parallax effect will be amazing.

23. macrumors newbie

when will we be able to subscribe to the WatchESPN, HBOgo and Disney channels with out a cable subscription.

Why doesn't apple get in to the cable market with the existing Apple TV. I don't want a TV set by apple but just content. This will be the next big game changer like the itunes store was for music.

24. macrumors regular

This is a ridiculous short-coming that they are finally fixing.

25. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol. Had me laughing.