Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremycusa

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Just sold my Apple TV 2 this week for $249 on eBay. Idiots will pay a mint for those things since they can be jailbroken. Perfectly happy taking that money and buying a 3.

The idiots are the ones that use Apple TV as is. Jailbroken ATV2 + Plex is worth a lot more that ATV3. Without jail braking, you'd be better off with a Roku

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
After using a friend's Roku, I couldn't disagree more. Roku interface is like something straight out of the 90's in comparison to ATV.

In general, I'm device agnostic and have owned/used plenty of Apple, Android, and Windows products. Maybe that's why I see an interesting double standard here.

When people defend the outdated iOS interface when compared to Android, they often argue that the app ecosystem is way more important than OS features. I tend to agree... I'd rather have the best apps and give up the better OS features and flexibility. It's the reason why I haven't purchased an Android tablet to replace my iPad.

So I find it interesting that the argument of ATV vs. Roku goes to interface, when Roku trounces the ATV in app ecosystem. It's not close. I own both, so I don't have a horse in this race. I go to Roku most of the time because it has the apps that I want to use. And for what it's worth, I do prefer the new Roku interface to the current ATV by just a bit. Hopefully the ATV sw upgrade will push it back on top.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
After using a friend's Roku, I couldn't disagree more. Roku interface is like something straight out of the 90's in comparison to ATV.

Netflix is $8/mo and has better content deals than Amazon. Yeah, ok, "you already have Prime". Well if you want to force that square peg into every round hole than you can expect some disappointment when it doesn't work everyone Netflix does.

Also, AirPlay is amazing. ;)

I agree.

Rocku's UI sucks and most of the channels are useless.

Amazon Prime sucks, both in therms of quality and in terms of content.

The studios use Amazon to force Pay per View, as they take stuff off Netflix, put it on Prime for free for a month or two, then start charging $3 per episode for decades old show.

They should keep trying to rip the consumers off, until everyone is trained how to obtain content from the Dark Side, I guess.... Stupid.

But yeah, again, Netflix is infinitely better than Amazon Prime.

Apple TV does need apps though, and not just the ones Apple decides we should be allowed to use. Open it up to developers, Apple!

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
The perfect Apple TV (for the UK) would combine an Apple run subscription service, a monthly subscription to watch unlimited TV shows, and movies that are in the iTunes Store, plus access to at the very least Freeview HD channels with options to purchase extra channels through a subscription with opportunity to record from these channels, plus an Apple TV App Store to download developers own apps.

I could see this being an extremely popular item. I would be willing to pay £500 if storage was 1TB, plus i would be willing to pay £20 a month for the subscription to the iTunes Store as there is a higher amount of content than any other media service. The extra channels could be included in bundles similar to how they are with Sky.

I don't get why Apple are wasting the potential for the Apple TV.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
The idiots are the ones that use Apple TV as is. Jailbroken ATV2 + Plex is worth a lot more that ATV3. Without jail braking, you'd be better off with a Roku

I jail broke my atv2 but find that I mostly just use airplay anyway. However, I have no plans to 'un jail break' it.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I think some folks are missing the point of some of these things...

"Don't want anyone to see my password"
You can already use multiple iTunes accounts on your Grandma's ATV if you want to put in passwords and then stream to your heart's content. This sounds more like, you open the movie on your iPad or iPhone and then when you select the Apple TV as your Airplay device, it just authorizes the ATV to download it directly and play it. No password needed.

"I don't want laggy games/wi-fi/bluetooth speed stuff"
What people are talking about is unlocking the ATV to play games on its own. It already has the same chipset as the 4S and it has 8 Gigs of memory and Bluetooth. You wouldn't stream anything to it, you would just download and play games on it using a bluetooth controller (just like PS3 etc.) like any other console.

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
"OK… nobody look at the screen while I enter my password!"

I don't think this is how it works. I think that when you stream a video on your own iPhone from the iTunes store and then you hit the AirPlay button, instead of your phone continuing to do the heavy lifting it just transfers the work to your friend's Apple TV and then your iPhone steps out of the way.

t0mbola

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
"Don't want anyone to see my password"
You can already use multiple iTunes accounts on your Grandma's ATV if you want to put in passwords and then stream to your heart's content. This sounds more like, you open the movie on your iPad or iPhone and then when you select the Apple TV as your Airplay device, it just authorizes the ATV to download it directly and play it. No password needed.

"I don't want laggy games/wi-fi/bluetooth speed stuff"
What people are talking about is unlocking the ATV to play games on its own. It already has the same chipset as the 4S and it has 8 Gigs of memory and Bluetooth. You wouldn't stream anything to it, you would just download and play games on it using a bluetooth controller (just like PS3 etc.) like any other console.

ATV3 has got only single core A5, 8GB storage is not enough since half of it is needed for cache, some of it is OS and stock apps. MFi controller and iPhone coupled with low lag streaming is the only way to do a descent gaming with the current ATV.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I don't get it. I can already do this. I can access iTunes from my ATV 3, buy a moving or a show and start watching it immediately. I don't need an iPhone, iPad or Mac computer.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
when will we be able to subscribe to the WatchESPN, HBOgo and Disney channels with out a cable subscription.

Why doesn't apple get in to the cable market with the existing Apple TV. I don't want a TV set by apple but just content. This will be the next big game changer like the itunes store was for music.

A large part of the recent TWC and CBS dispute was the right of CBS to license Showtime directly to mobile users, bypassing the cable provider TWC.
The Cable companies are clinging desperately to this right, as they see the death knell for cable on the horizon, being replaced by on demand any time, anywhere, any device, directly licensed.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

All of my video content is compatible with iTunes so why the need for all the crap offered by Plex and other jailbroken apps?

iVl watches specified folders, then converts the video files automatically, renames them just the way I want them, adds the metadata info, moves them to the folder I want (deleting the original), and then adds it to iTunes. I have to do nothing. I come home and my shows and movies are all ready to watch.

This also means I can use the much nicer polished interface of the Apple TV rather than that of Plex and I can get right to my content rather than having to launch the Apple TV, launch Plex, then launch my content.

And I can watch 1080p content. Enjoy your poverty 720p.

LoggerMN

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
I'd be happy if they would just allow you to watch DVDs over airplay. Not that they sell many Macs with DVD players anymore. It's a rather ridiculous restriction.

I've tried avoiding this restriction by watching my DVDs in VLC rather than DVD Player. But there is a performance bottle neck somewhere. I have lots of dropped frames and occasional audio hiccups. I have since gave up on that, and either directly attach my Macbook to the TV when I want to watch a DVD or I rip it.

I'd rather not have to rip a rental to watch it properly, but when the hardware and content providers make that the best solution, guess what happens?

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
I love the new updates!

Now we just need to figure out now I can get access to a ll the content without having to have ****ing cable or dish service.

Once I can buy access and all my networks are on Apple TV.... **** you Comcast and Dish!

Thanks for XD Apple I got caught up on my Hulk Smash!

"HULK SMASH!"

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
This is interesting. I wonder if this will work with only with items purchased (yes I see it says only purchased, but this is not an official announcement from Apple)? What about those items that are in the cloud that you have loaded up say with Apple iCloud service?

I hope that it is anything you have on your device you will be able airplay it. I can dream.

You have *always* been able AirPlay content on your device to any Apple TV - no dreaming required. This is about content purchased from Apple but not on your device. Assuming this report is right, you'll now also be able to use AirPlay to view that material on someone else's Apple TV.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
The biggest problem that I have is that many times while I am able to stream the video from something to the AppleTV, the audio doesn't stream with it.

Also, the Netflix App needs to offer the same "Next episode coming up in 10 seconds" feature it has on it's web platform. Hitting menu and select a few times plus the few seconds delay is simply too much for my Breaking Bad addiction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.