Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelqsm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my AppleTV to the new software and last night was the first time I tried to stream video from iTunes. However, i got the "format not recognized" message!!!

This has never happened before. The same video when synced to the hard drive works perfectly but AppleTV seems to be unable to play ANY streamed video from my iMac next door. I tested streaming different videos encoded with Handbrake, VisualHub and Turbo.264 just incase it was the encoding that was at fault but the same error persisted.

I have no idea where the error is as the same files are compatible with the AppleTV when permanently synced....

Interestingly this error does not occur if I revert back to factory settings, i.e. Vesion 1.0. But then I loose some of the new interface which I like! I am in the UK so rentals are not such a big priority.

It may make a difference that I have almost my entire video library on external hard drives both USB and Firewire, but that was not the case before the recent software update on AppleTV.

In addition, iTunes always asks me to "Allow incoming connections" when I fire it up despite the fact I have allowed it in the firewall preferences.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am on 10.5.2 and the most recent version of iTunes.

Thanks

Michael

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Is this happening over and over? I get that message sometimes, but then I go back to the "My Movie" menu, then immediately try to play the same video again and it starts playing.

The external drives shouldn't have anything to do with it.

But you could have some firewall issue (you might try temporarily turning off the firewall completely and see if the problem persists; while that's not a good permanent solution, it would narrow down the focus in terms of exact source of the problem.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Happens to me too

Well i started to get the same problem a few days after the appleTV take 2 update .... Before the update I had no problem at all streaming my movies (riped from Handbrake appleTV setting). Everything was fine !
But now ... I started to get the error of not being able to reconize de file format for movies .... Some of them work ... some of them dont ... Funy thing is that they where all riped the same way. Also AppleTV doesnt reconize the artwork of my movies ! ... I have a feeling that AppleTV 2.0 and Itunes 7.6 have problems talking to each other ...

Ohhh BTW Im using and Imac to store my movies and an Airport extreme to stream.

michaelqsm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Seems to be back in order

Hi guys

After the latest iTunes Update my Apple TV seems to be behaving normally again both in syncing and streaming. Did not have time to test thoroughly though but I am hoping should be ok for now!

Thanks for all your replies.

Michael.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Well downloaded the new 7.6.1 update to itunes ... and tried appleTV last night ... seems to be streaming movies better .... but all the artwork for the movies that didnt work last time before the update are still gone ... I cant see half the artwork for my movies and tv shows ... But they are still showing in itunes ... as if apple tv cant see them from itunes .... weird ...
Do you guys think i should reboot apple tv (unplug .. replug) or should I re paire apple tv to my Imac .... Im running out of ideas ... i tought this itunes update was gona fix the problem :S

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Well downloaded the new 7.6.1 update to itunes ... and tried appleTV last night ... seems to be streaming movies better .... but all the artwork for the movies that didnt work last time before the update are still gone ... I cant see half the artwork for my movies and tv shows ... But they are still showing in itunes ... as if apple tv cant see them from itunes .... weird ...
Do you guys think i should reboot apple tv (unplug .. replug) or should I re paire apple tv to my Imac .... Im running out of ideas ... i tought this itunes update was gona fix the problem :S

There's no harm in trying a reboot. If that fails, shut down all components and restart them, Apple TV last.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
shutting down all components ???? meaning my Imac ?
And to do a AppleTV reboot .... the only way is to unplug the power cord ?
Does rebooting the apple force it to reconize the new itunes updates ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.