Apple TV takes at least ten minutes to load a video

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by qpiqp, Jun 27, 2013.

1. qpiqp, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

macrumors member

Jul 7, 2012
    I have been sitting at a black screen watching the circle spin on the buffer bar for a good ten minutes now and my youtube video has not even started!

This is not my only performance issue - my ATV struggles with tasks as simple as airplaying only audio from my MBP. The Apple TV is plugged into ethernet. However, I am using an ethernet splitter with a max speed of 10 Mbps, but the xbox is on the same splitter and I have no issue with that. Might it be better to run the ATV off wifi (I doubt it because I'm in the basement).

What can I do to improve this? Can I troubleshoot it? Should I try getting a replacement? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I fixed my issue by switching to wifi! What a nice surprise. How do I switch this thread to resolved, or delete it? Thanks.
  2. macrumors 68030

May 27, 2008
    wifi will be faster than 10 Mb ethernet.

also the aTV sometimes has weird problems when connected via ethernet, that go away on wifi.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 12, 2007
    Right, the aTV3, at least, has a known problem with ethernet connections becoming slow under certain circumstances.