Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an effort to further improve app discoverability, Apple recently implemented a change to the way Top Charts work on the Apple TV. When viewing the Top Paid, Free, and Grossing Charts in the tvOS App Store, Apple TV users no longer see entries for apps they've already downloaded and installed on their set-top box.

Individualized, custom Top Chart rankings are now available for all Apple TV users, allowing them to see a dynamic list that changes with each app they download. This behavior is exclusive to the Apple TV App Store and is not reflective of how Top Charts work for iOS devices and Macs.

appletvappstore-800x298.jpg

App developer Equinux noticed the change last week, after discovering one of their popular apps was no longer listed in the Top Charts. Equinux thought the app had fallen from the charts at first, before noticing it was simply hidden on Apple TV devices where it was already installed.
In turns out, Apple now hides an app in the charts once you've installed it. Give it a try: Go install TV Pro Mediathek (VOD for German TV content) from the App Store (currently #3 Top Grossing in Germany) and then go back in to the App Store: boom - it's gone from the charts and the next-placed app has moved up.

This tvOS top charts algorithm change even affects featured apps on the start page: TV Pro Mediathek no longer shows up in its featured slot on the start page of the German App Store once you've installed it.

Apple's intention with the change is presumably to make the charts appear 'fresher' and users see more apps that they haven't installed yet.
When the Apple TV first launched in October, app discovery was a major issue. Apple has since made an effort to make it easier for Apple TV users to find apps through the implementation of app categories, Top Charts, and web previews.

Since late 2015, Apple's App Stores have been under the control of Phil Schiller, who took over from Eddy Cue. Schiller now oversees the app ecosystem across iOS devices, Macs, the Apple TV, and the Apple Watch, while Cue focuses on other software and services. Under Schiller's leadership, Apple has improved search algorithms and sped up app review times.

Article Link: Apple TV App Store Now Hides Downloaded Apps From Top Charts

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
I can understand that when 3 of the 4 apps (YouTube, Netflix, news app) that I've installed, have been the top 3 apps for months now. Kinda embarrassing really.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackANSI
Kinda weird. So the top charts aren't top charts anymore really. It's more of top apps you haven't downloaded yet.
Not a huge deal, just kinda incongruent when compared to the Mac App Store, Apple Watch App Store and iOS App Store

I agree it's incongruent, but I think I prefer this behavior. Maybe the others will follow suit

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
So the top charts aren't top charts anymore really.
True, maybe they could call it "Most popular apps". But I think for most people this is more practical. I don't think there are lots of people who check this to find out how well some of their downloaded apps fare, it is a tool to find something new and popular apps tends to be "safer" or "more interesting" than the obscure ones.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hopefully this comes to other iOS devices. It's a small improvement. For those complaining about not being able to see the top lists, most people don't monitor the top lists or give a flying crap. Developers have their own Apple-provided analytics tools that they can leverage. It should be all about discovering new content. That's kinda the whole point of browsing in the App Store.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Kinda weird. So the top charts aren't top charts anymore really. It's more of top apps you haven't downloaded yet.
Not a huge deal, just kinda incongruent when compared to the Mac App Store, Apple Watch App Store and iOS App Store

I wish they could just put a little star in the corner showing that it is installed rather than not showing it at all. Or, God forbid, make a toggle to show/hide purchases.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
How about being able to access and search the TV App Store on my Mac? Just like I can do with iPhone apps?

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple, let it happen on all App Store .
Better yet, hide apps I have downloaded and/or installed from App Store entirely, as long as I don't switch account or country.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I agree it's incongruent, but I think I prefer this behavior. Maybe the others will follow suit
I hope so; it makes a lot of sense. You can always search for an app you already have or find it in your purchased tab, but you go to the Featured, Top Charts, or Explore tabs to find new things.

Kagami190

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Pretty psyched about this. It always bothered me. The ATV is new(ish) so I'm always so excited and curious for the next big app. And I all the top ones are likely apps I have anyway (Netflix, HBO, so on..) so it kinda clutters up my app discoverin'

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I hope so; it makes a lot of sense. You can always search for an app you already have or find it in your purchased tab, but you go to the Featured, Top Charts, or Explore tabs to find new things.
I'm Trying to understand why anyone would want to see a list that has apps already downloaded, like you said it duplicates the purchased apps list.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Makes complete sense... I just hope they bring it to all the App Stores with a simple switch that lets me show/hide purchased titles (even if I've deleted them from my device, I want to be able to hide them).

The only reason I go to the Charts is to find something new that I didn't hear about some other way.

I don't need to be reminded of my mistakes either ;) (titles that I downloaded only to find that the gameplay completely sucks *cough* Space Age: A Cosmic Adventure *cough*)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Makes sense especially if you've got a lot of top apps installed and you can't find more because it too much work going down the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.