Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Agree, but what types of improvements are we talking about?
Depends on the vendor. But for example, Sony updated their MY2015 4K sets to HDR support.
PS If we're talking about newer AndroidTV sets, then it looks like any other Android update - can address any of the OS or app fixes/improvements/additions.
But I agree with you in general - I'd rather own a dumb flat panel, perhaps with just HDMI inputs and switch. I do not need the tuner or the OS or the apps on it. But to get this, I'd have to buy a professional display at quite different price point. Less is more!

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Samsung ks7005 (Ks8000), Apple TV will turn my tv on and off and control volume on my Cambridge receiver.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
ditto. same for me. mine is a Philips tv, they use EasyLink. It's another name for HDMI-CEC. i'm gonna have to poke around in the setting later and see
Maybe you need to use a different HDMI port? Philips' HDMI-CEC port is usually HDMI1.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
Mines turn on but when I long press tv button on remote. The Apple TV turns off and then it switches to AIR input on TV. Old Samsung 52"

Reactions: BJMRamage

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
What is happening to me is kind of weird. My Apple TV does not turn on or off my Samsung LED TV but it does turn on and off my Sony Sound Bar Receiver and changes it to its proper input, however my Xbox One S turns my tv on and off and also turns my Sony Receiver on and off and changes it to its proper input.

My guess is it has something to do with the Xbox One S being a newer product (released August 2, 2016) unless someone can tell me if the original Xbox One has HDMI-CEC or its just the firmware/software on the Xbox One? Not really sure, honestly.

:apple:

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Vizio M322i-B1 & ATV4 — both the hardware remote and the Apple TV Remote app turn the TV ON and OFF when I “long press” the home key then select sleep.....
As I reported previously, our ATV4’s hardware remote has been able to turn our Vizio M322i-B1 ON/OFF, control the volume and even switch inputs to the HDMI port where the ATV4 is attached. But recently our Visio M322i-B1 quit responding to the volume controls on our ATV4’s hardware remote. Note: The Vizio volume worked fine with other remotes (Vizio, Dish, GE universal, etc).

I had always assumed that, despite the ATV4’s light blinking each time the hardware remote’s volume buttons were pressed, IR was being used to control the Vizio’s volume, since it only worked when it was pointed at the TV. But I decided to check out the ATV4 remote settings and discovered that all of the ATV4’s setting screens had black words on a black background. So I restarted the ATV4. When it came back live, I rechecked the ATV4’s remote settings. After fiddling around a bit, the ATV4’s hardware remote was able to adjust the volume on the Vizio again.

The curious bit is….
If the ATV4’s hardware remote uses IR to control the Vizio’s volume, why would restarting the ATV4 and fiddling with remote settings change anything?

—GetrealBro

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Apple TV Turns BOTH ON and OFF: Philips 40PFT5100

My ATV4 seems to be able to turn on my TV when I wake it with the remote. But it doesn't turn off the TV when I put it to sleep. Is this the case with everyone else?

Can everyone post their TV make and model, and if your CEC Turns ON/OFF/ON AND OFF, so we can get a list going for other members on the forum?

Apple TV Turns BOTH ON and OFF
Samsung Smarts
JVC 55" LED (2015)
Vizio E series
Vizo M-Series (As of Sep 2016, OTA Firmware Update)

Apple TV Turns ON (But NOT OFF)
LG65EF9500
LG OLED
Vizio P-Series

Apple TV Turns OFF (But NOT ON)

TV Brand CEC Naming

• AOC: E-link
  • Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
  • LG: SimpLink
  • Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
  • Onkyo: RIHD
  • Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
  • Philips: EasyLink
  • Pioneer: Kuro Link
  • Runco International: RuncoLink
  • Samsung: Anynet+
  • Sharp: Aquos Link
  • Sony: BRAVIA Sync
  • Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
  • Vizio: CEC

brianspost

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2017
I thought I had this all figured out in 5 minutes. Then I changed one setting and it all went to pot.

ATV (4th gen) plugged into
Pioneer VSX-1130 Receiver plugged into
Panasonic Plasma with Vierra Link

I've always been able turn off TV when putting ATV to sleep, but never turn the TV on. Then I went into the Vierra Link settings on my TV and noticed there was a separate switch to allow it to turn it on. I flipped that and it worked! The ATV turned my TV on and OFF.

BUT... my receiver was always just there in the middle being active or just passthrough and I would turn it on or off when needed. I figured I would add that into the mix and have a full solution. So I changed the settings on the receiver. When I turned ATV OFF, everything went off just fine. When I turned ATV ON, the receiver always starts up, but not the TV! And then when I manually turn the TV on, it shuts OFF the receiver!

After changing multiple settings on all the devices, I tried to get back to my settings from an hour ago and just let the ATV turn the TV on and off and I would just deal with the receiver on its own, but I can't even get that working anymore. I'm back to the ATV just being able to turn off the TV and not turn it ON, despite the fact that I have changed the Vierra link to allow the ATV to turn it on.

It's driven me insane these past hours. I wish I stopped 5 minutes in because I at least had something that was working better than I have now.

Stenfeldt

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2017
So i have an odd issue.

Before updating to the latest ostv 10.2 my Apple tv 4 worked perfectly with my Philips tv.

But after I updated to 10.2 the volume buttons shutdowns the tv.

Anyone else having this issue and know how to fix it?

Stenfeldt

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2017
My Philips 46PFL8008S/12 turns on and off the Apple TV.

My only issue with the new update 10.2 is when using the volume buttons it turns off the tv.
This worked perfectly in the earlier ostv.

Anyone know how to fix this?

My ATV4 seems to be able to turn on my TV when I wake it with the remote. But it doesn't turn off the TV when I put it to sleep. Is this the case with everyone else?

Can everyone post their TV make and model, and if your CEC Turns ON/OFF/ON AND OFF, so we can get a list going for other members on the forum?

Apple TV Turns BOTH ON and OFF
Samsung Smarts
JVC 55" LED (2015)
Vizio E series
Vizo M-Series (As of Sep 2016, OTA Firmware Update)

Apple TV Turns ON (But NOT OFF)
LG65EF9500
LG OLED
Vizio P-Series

Apple TV Turns OFF (But NOT ON)

TV Brand CEC Naming

• AOC: E-link
  • Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
  • LG: SimpLink
  • Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
  • Onkyo: RIHD
  • Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
  • Philips: EasyLink
  • Pioneer: Kuro Link
  • Runco International: RuncoLink
  • Samsung: Anynet+
  • Sharp: Aquos Link
  • Sony: BRAVIA Sync
  • Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
  • Vizio: CEC

swenak

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
U made few test, and:

1) Directly connected aTV 4 turn on Sony KDL 55W805B and in 70% of test turn off (in 30% is not turned off, or is instantly turned on).

2) Directly connected aTV 4k turn on LG 55EG9A7V and turn off, but only, when I turn on aTV through Siri Remote. When I turn aTV on via IrDa universal Harmony remote, or through Remote.app on iPhone, LG TV not turning off. I found, that when I turn on aTV through Siri Remote, I can turn off it through Remote.app and LG TV is turned off too. So maybe problem is in aTV 4k, that must be paired Siri Remote, when aTV 4k is turned on, or aTV sending different signals? When aTV 4k going to sleep after selected time, LG is not turned off. Maybe because of unpaired remote, or maybe it can work sometimes, I dont know.

3) When aTV 4k is connected to Onkyo 8270 stereo receiver and receiver is connected to LG 55EG9A7V, turning on and off work correctly for receiver and TV too.

4) When aTV 4k is connected to Yamaha RX-S601D DAB 5.1 receiver and receiver is connected to LG 55EG9A7V, turning on work correctly for receiver and TV too, bud turning off only on receiver (it seems, that TV is for few seconds turned off, or without signal and then I see, that aTV is connected - maybe is turned on instantly afted I turned it off).

I have idea, that when I try to connect aTV 4k to LG TV through active swith, or other device, maybe CEC start working correctly, but which switch, or device, I dont know :-( Something like https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06W9NRH1V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AEB9F56C3A3O6&psc=1, or so.

Or other idea is to make arduino system with IR transmiter and IR receiver, that send learned IR codes after HDMI 5V is present on HDMI cable after aTV is turned on. After 5V is not present, arduino send other commands, that turn off TV and my Yamaha receiver too.

Last edited:

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I about lost my mind with ATV4. Sucker was switching to black screen after EVERY menu button press.

Had to go in and turn it completely off in settings. Had to finally reset to get there as it was taking forever to try to get to settings.

I know have an old Mitsubishi DLP via a denon AVR, but HDMI-CEC is the devil

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I have idea, that when I try to connect aTV 4k to LG TV through active swith, or other device, maybe CEC start working correctly, but which switch, or device, I dont know :-( Something like https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06W9NRH1V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AEB9F56C3A3O6&psc=1, or so.
I have serious doubts about it, because CEC is a single bus line even if HDMI switches are involved.
DDC_CEC.png

I have tried to troubleshoot the reasons my aTV 4K drops out of CEC control every now and then. So far I can only say that the problem seems to be in logical address acquisition algorithm but I still don’t know why does aTV lose it in the first place so that it goes to look for a new one. The CEC logical addressing is an utterly stupid invention and implementation anyway.

reserves

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
My ATV4 keeps coming on when I switch my Panasonic TV on, even though it’s another HDMI port?

The TV is turning on / off correctly via ATV.

Any ideas??

desktop

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2018
Michigan
Kind of late to the game here but I just got an Apple TV 32 GB fourth generation and it’s hooked up to my Sony Bravia. I made sure all the settings were correct on both the TV and the unit. The TV will turn off when the ATV turns off but it won’t turn it back on.

Tv model is KDL-40S5100

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So the last update of iOS 11 corrected this mysterious Apple TV and Sony TV “turning on by itself” phenomenon.

Unfortunately iOS 12 has reverted back to this behavior and now my Apple TV is driving me nuts, it turns itself on three times a day and takes my TV along with it. So frustrating. Back to square one.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Have you turned off background app refresh on aTV?

Yes. That didn’t work under iOS11 FYI, wasn’t the cause of the issue.

I have all automatic updates turned off too, I also close all open apps on the ATV before turning it off, no connections to devices, etc.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
I unpaired my phone from my ATV. It's weird - I'm not able to constant reproduce it.
Display-AVR-ATV

At times, when either putting on my Apple Watch on the OE charging pad or taking it off the charging pad in the morning, by either doing any of the 2, it triggers the ATV to wake up, turn on AVR/Display and change/switch source on AVR to ATV.

Somehow the watch is triggering this - I suppose via the paired iPhone and HDMI controls

ubermick

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Losing my bloody marbles at this, primarily because the cheapo Fire TV cube thing works perfectly (in this area at least.)

But...

Denon AVR-X2000, and Sony Bravia XBR-55X850B. As mentioned, Fire TV's power button turns everything off and on. The Apple TV 4k will (after much trial and error) turn the Denon OFF but not the TV. Trying to wake the Apple TV, it won't turn either the amp or the TV back on again.

Many years ago when I had a cheapy TV, amp, and a poxy DirecTV box, a universal Logitech remote did EVERYTHING. Not I'm back to having multiple remotes on my table. Gah!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Denon AVR-X2000, and Sony Bravia XBR-55X850B. As mentioned, Fire TV's power button turns everything off and on. The Apple TV 4k will (after much trial and error) turn the Denon OFF but not the TV. Trying to wake the Apple TV, it won't turn either the amp or the TV back on again.
Does it work using the TV remote?
Many years ago when I had a cheapy TV, amp, and a poxy DirecTV box, a universal Logitech remote did EVERYTHING. Not I'm back to having multiple remotes on my table. Gah!
This time it is HDMI-CEC with its own quirks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.