Apple TV Unboxing Photos (and Video)

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Gizmodo has posted the first unboxing photos of the Apple TV.

[​IMG]

It looks like they really got into it, with Unboxing Photos and then a series of 57 photos "From Backside to Unbox" and a few additional notes about it.

A couple of the more interesting notes:

- AppleTV will pick up where your iPod left off
    - Your iTunes season passes are automatically pushed over to your AppleTV's hard drive, and the episodes you've already watched will be removed automatically.

Update: Video of Apple TV Setup

Article Link: Apple TV Unboxing Photos (and Video)

2. macrumors member

avensis087

awesome...i want mine now

3. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

As always, Apples unboxing is always fun of any of their products. Now I almost want one when I get my nice TV.

4. macrumors 604

I'd love to buy one of these right now. I guess it's good for me that Apple made it only HDTV compatible since it forces me to wait. Can't wait to get my hands on one, right now I'm watching a ton of TV from ipod and this would be a big step up.

5. macrumors regular

Gizmodo calls the Apple TV "an iPod for your TV". It looks like that is what Apple is positioning Apple TV for. You still create/encode/download your content via iTunes on your PC or Mac. Then use Apple TV as the "conduit" to display your content on your widescreen HDTV. That about sums it up. Easy interface. Apple does it again - iPod for Video for your TV.

6. macrumors 6502

That was so awesome

7. macrumors 68040

queshy

Looks nice, typical apple packaging. No cables sucks though. If they included HDMI and component cables, they would eliminate like 100 negatives that this thread is gonna get lol

8. macrumors P6

twoodcc

nice pics. it seems it's always fun looking at stuff like this from apple. kinda makes me want one, even though i really don't need it :apple:

9. macrumors G3

puckhead193

does anyone know if the demo is at the store yet?

10. Guest

Darkroom

i'm surprised the Apple Remote still uses IR... an Apple Remote that finally uses Bluetooth would have been an interesting addition to the Apple TV...

on that note, i can't wait until the iPod Nano doubles as the official Apple Remote (with Bluetooth of course).

11. macrumors newbie

No Closed Caption????

I betcha that this AppleTV has no closed caption capabilities. If it does not, WAY TO GO, APPLE. Thank you, Steve, for thinking about us, hearing impaired. When you download TV programs and Movies. AppleTV and iTunes does NOT support closed captions. You can not find anywhere on AppleTV and iTunes specs that it supports closed captions. I understand that the videos must have symbol "cc" next to download page of each program or movie to tell you that it has closed caption capability. I have yet not been able to get"cc" to work in which way possible. If there is anyone out there in AppleLand that can tell me how to get closed caption to work or will there be any support in the near future, please tell me. Thank you. :-(

12. macrumors 6502

Konradx

no video cables..lame.

13. macrumors regular

pale9

sacriligeous comment: apple is becoming more and more like microsoft

no support for avi, divx, mpeg2, ogg vorbis, etc. etc. jobs is determined to lock us all into his own little codec kingdom. plus, getting stingy on cables now too? this is exactly the attitude that made me switch from ms to apple. maybe its time to move on again... (ubuntu, hello?)...

14. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Wasn't there at my local apple store at closing time last night. Haven't been today...

15. macrumors regular

nsjoker

Turn it up

Just like any other iProduct. The unboxing is getting old, Apple needs to spice things up. Maybe they could throw a ferret in there and when you prep for the unboxing sequence the ferret jumps out and latches itself to your face and you're freaking out screaming, omg omg, there's a ferret on my face.

16. macrumors regular

The pakaging looks amazing, as per usual...

17. macrumors P6

Peace

Why should Apple include FOUR different cable connectors ?

Dishnetwork now uses the mpeg-4 codec for it's delivery of HD content.And the 720P looks better than 1080i.

AVI sucks.
    divx is too closely associated with rippers and hackers
    mpeg-2 is a bandwidth HOG that is on it's way out.

18. macrumors regular

pale9

why? because others like the sling company do it! and, it would cost apple only a buck or two, but go out to buy these retail and you will pay at least another 30 bux.

19. macrumors P6

Peace

Here's what's in the box for the slingbox pro :
    http://us.slingmedia.com/page/boxcontents.html
    1 SlingBox™ PRO
    1 SlingPlayer™ CD ROM
    1 AC Adapter (100-240V 50-60Hz)
    1 Ethernet Cable
    1 Quick Start Guide
    1 Composite AV Cable
    1 Stereo Audio Cable
    1 S-Video Cable
    1 Remote Control IR Cable
    1 RF/Coax Cable

The :apple: TV is designed for wireless so it doesn't need ethernet cable included.

The slingbox does NOT include HDMI OR Component cables which the :apple: TV uses.
    The slingbox does NOT include a Toslink Optical cable.

20. macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I'm glad that there is no cables. First, I'd rather save the $$$ than get a cable that I may or may not need. Second, with my current setup I need cables almost 6' long. What if they put in a 4' or 5' HDMI cable and I couldn't use it then, I'd be pissed off. If apple put in the cable, then it would cost more. Apple isn't going to do anything for free. I guess you could argue that they would never charge $309 for a product and that they in fact wouldn't charge more but who knows.

21. macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go that far... tho my box does have XP Pro, Ubu & "OS X" playing quite nicely together... Can't say I got the box from Apple tho.. :cool:

As far as codec support.... How else would you know you were on a Mac if it wasn't for the inability to (out of the box) play 95%+ of all the video content available on the net. :rolleyes: :eek:

So sad... Apple fell flat on its face more times then I care to remember - the one that sticks out the most is when I was pleading with the quicktime team to roll out a plug-in for this 'hot new' (shows you how far back it was) software called NCSA Mosaic... A web browser that we all know today as Netscape/Mozilla. They team leader I was speaking to politely smiled and said it was a idea... with a look like 'why on earth would we want to do that? Now go away, you're bothering us...' - The team obviously didn't do a darn thing and in less than 6 months Real came on the scene and ate Apples lunch...

The are doing it again with the total lack of support for all the popular codecs. Quite sad really... :(

Audio is another total screw-up... Why would we need to support 5.1 audio when it quite clearly a flop... Well that's what I can imagine them saying anyway... :lol:

Oh well Apple wouldn't be Apple without them constantly stealing defeat from the jaws of victory. :apple:

Dave

22. macrumors 6502

No, Apple would probably still need to pay that $30. Maybe not quite so much, maybe only $20, or even $15. But multiply that times four+cables.

Let's see... about $100 for all the cables put together retail, say they save 50%, that would still be $50. Do you want to pay $350 for the AppleTV?

All the cables you SHOULD need to buy will cost about $20 to $40. If you are going HDMI, $20.

23. macrumors 6502

For all inquiring minds out there.

I am lucky enough to live near 2 apple stores (aventura & lincoln road)
    I called both stores and they both confrimed that this friday all apple stores will have on display and in stock ready to purchase the :apple: t.v.

24. macrumors newbie

Standards support!

Umm, avi, divx, ogg - not standards of any sort. DivX is a bastardized codec if ever I saw one, yuk, and doesn't hold a patch on H264. Avi - an early attempt to beat Quicktime, that has become dated and abandoned by Microsoft.

What is supported is MPEG4, which is great. H264 is playable on all sorts of systems and devices, probably being the only real standard (alongside other MPEG codecs) there is. Get a grip.

25. macrumors 6502

Can't wait for this to be hacked

I have one on order and think I will use it enough to justify purchasing it as is, but I bet there will be software hacks soon that will let you play anything on your Apple TV. Then it will be really cool.

Also, I hope the rumor that Leopard will display your desktop to the Apple TV comes true.