Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I have cut the cord, and a lot of the channels on the Apple TV (and other streaming devices) require me to have a cable subscription to use them. Which makes their streaming device app stupid and useless.
That is not Apple but the bean counters at the cable channels that consider streaming and chord cutting an accessory market. I have had the chord cut for over five years now and besides the occasional sporting event, I don't miss it much. As the share of chord cutters increase, the requirement for a cable TV account will go away and follow the HBO now model.

With this, we are seeing a new industry emerge of "custom television bundling" where each user selects a group of channels they want to view. Then the custom bundle agency, independent of the channels and streaming service, insert ads and commercials based on the demographic of the bundle. The user gets a group discount for all the a la cart channels they select, the channel promoters get more focused ads sent to the viewer, the ad response increases and everyone wins except the cable TV company commercial sales force.

Reactions: Robin4

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
It's too bad that thr Apple TV is still so US centric. None of the very few UK specific ATV streaming apps support Siri. It's a weak effort.

Reactions: Godzirra

Lemon Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2016
Agreed, or maybe a setting to not search certain sources. For example, no need to tell someone that doesn't have Netflix about a movie on Netflix.

Yes, but this is all about making money. This is the only thing it is about.

So therefore they include these results in the searches because if you want to see something badly enough you may be convinced to shell out for a subscription to Netflix/(other content provide).

Reactions: BJMRamage

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I'll wait for the next Apple TV to ensure that whatever features are currently being announced will have been properly implemented by then.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Yes, but this is all about making money. This is the only thing it is about.

So therefore they include these results in the searches because if you want to see something badly enough you may be convinced to shell out for a subscription to Netflix/(other content provide).

yep. it stinks but that's the idea.
I remember wishing I could remove all the channels I didn't subscribe to with cable from showing in my Guide...but then it hit me, if I saw a movie or show or sporting event i didn't pay for but liked, i might be more inclined to buy into that channel.

thankfully, Comcast has stopped putting ads in their guide, though maybe that was just a FIOS thing. that really sucks to have to scroll through so many ads or having every other "channel" a pay-per-view/OnDemand movie.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I'll wait for the next Apple TV to ensure that whatever features are currently being announced will have been properly implemented by then.
The next Apple TV is likely to have it's own set of new features which may not "have been properly implemented."
Your reasoning is unsound.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
One thing that I don't understand is why providers/producers don't want to use a Hulu-model. They could stream the shows WITH advertisement for free or a very low price. That way they could sell more advertisement.
Advertisers would be happy because they can track how many people actually watched it, and they could also target it to regional areas etc.
Producers would be happy because more ads equals more greenbacks.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Um. This expansion is utterly useless as it only applies to specific shows within these added apps. For example, a Siri search for "American Horror Story" pulls up FX Now as an option but a similar search for "American Crime Story" (People vs. O.J. Simpson) only pulls up iTunes. What is the point of that? Nothing universal about this ...

The first episode was just on Wednesday. The episode is there now on FXNow, any chance it works now? I can't imagine that, by rule, it wouldn't let you voice search for it.

Should probably to try it against the Roku Universal Search as well if it so happens that they are limiting results. I can do that later tonite on both devices.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Thank goodness I live in the EU with a UK Apple Store account so I don't ever have to see any Fox garbage appear on my TV.

Really? Not a single television program or movie that Fox produces or distributes that you find any entertainment value in at all?

Simpsons, X-files, Family Guy, Firefly, Arrested Development, The Practice, Prison Break, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, Dollhouse, Glee, American Horror Story, Sleepy Hollow, Empire, Minority Report, Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, Futurama.

And that's just a sampling of television shows, they also have a huge catalog of movies, many of which air via FX on television. And if the blockbusters like Titanic and Avatar are just too mainstream they have a lot of eclectic stuff via Fox Searchlight.

So, really?
[doublepost=1454685098][/doublepost]
We have 2 users associated with our Apple TV. We were once young and not yet aware that one another existed, so we were foolish and purchased content from Apple individually. Now that we have met and in fact living together we have to constantly manually switch between users to reach movies and tv shows that we purchased over the years. It would be GREAT if Apple would at least allow the system to search both, it would be EVEN BETTER if Apple allowed 2 people to be logged in at the same time. So if I want to buy/rent a movie I can select my username OR if my bf wanted to buy/rent a movie he could just choose his username.

The Apple TV seems to be a product for individual users or single income earning families. So young people who get married can't share content with one another without constantly switching back and forth between settings and the movie section.

check out family sharing
[doublepost=1454685618][/doublepost]
One thing that I don't understand is why providers/producers don't want to use a Hulu-model. They could stream the shows WITH advertisement for free or a very low price. That way they could sell more advertisement.
Advertisers would be happy because they can track how many people actually watched it, and they could also target it to regional areas etc.
Producers would be happy because more ads equals more greenbacks.

Except don't they also charge you a monthly subscription AND make you watch ads? I thought Hulu was the major networks banding together to make a half hearted foray into streaming but try to maintain their legacy business model against the Netflix threat.

Reactions: sinsin07

jonmannon

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
check out family sharing

I've looked into this and I may be wrong, but this still doesn't solve the dual-income problem. Not every family is set-up to where there is 1 breadwinner or 1 person in control. Most families probably have 2 adults that are equals and have their own bank accounts.

This also locks out the Apple TV in roommate situations. Family Sharing is highly flawed and assumes a 1950s family scenario.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I have cut the cord, and a lot of the channels on the Apple TV (and other streaming devices) require me to have a cable subscription to use them. Which makes their streaming device app stupid and useless.
This was the case for years which is why I'm still paying for full cable. However, you can always go with the lowest cable package and not pay for the box to save about $100/month. I'm considering it since I've had my TV tuned to the same stupid channel for weeks now and haven't bothered to change it. I still use my DVR but only to watch reruns of old sitcoms so I can live without those too.

jlaylor

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2000
Ingleside, TX
I personally believe that apple won't allow search of your home library because they don't make any money off it. This should be the most basic of searches, and it's likely that it will never be implemented.

Reactions: BJMRamage

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Unfortunately, voice search on AppleTV4 can no longer find "Archer". After successfully saying "show Archer" regularly to find episodes on NetFlix, my ATV4 now just says something like "I'm sorry I can't find anything like that". Really? Then why does it show up when I type "arch..." into search? Weird.

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
I've found the search feature to be extremely unhelpful, especially with Hulu. Every time I say something like "Search Family Guy", I get a different reaction.

Here's a few ways it fails on me:
1. Sometimes it pulls up the Family Guy search page with offering from iTunes, Netflix, and Hulu. Clicking on Netflix or Hulu will do one of the following A. Play the latest episode. B. Open the selected app to the family guy page. C. Take me somewhere within the family guy page that I'll have to back out of. D. Only open the app, never actually getting to the family guy page (most common response).
2. Pop up a bar at the bottom of the page with different family guy results. Clicking on any of these will take me to one of the following A. Open a random app of its choosing where family guy can be watched. B. Nothing. C. Take me to the search page in the first step, and then repeat and then repeat the weird options of step one.
3. Take a few minutes to think on what I said (clearly printed on the screen) and then tell me she doesn't understand.
4. Asking more specific searches like "Search Family Guy on Hulu" fails almost every time. The most common thing that happens is the Hulu app opens to wherever I closed it.

I've had multiple ATV 4's on multiple networks. Siri just isn't like what it is on iPhone.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Um. This expansion is utterly useless as it only applies to specific shows within these added apps. For example, a Siri search for "American Horror Story" pulls up FX Now as an option but a similar search for "American Crime Story" (People vs. O.J. Simpson) only pulls up iTunes. What is the point of that? Nothing universal about this ...

The first episode was just on Wednesday. The episode is there now on FXNow, any chance it works now? I can't imagine that, by rule, it wouldn't let you voice search for it.

Should probably to try it against the Roku Universal Search as well if it so happens that they are limiting results. I can do that later tonite on both devices.

I checked it out on Roku's universal search, identical result.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Agreed, or maybe a setting to not search certain sources. For example, no need to tell someone that doesn't have Netflix about a movie on Netflix.
I have the Apple TV and I am pretty sure it only searches through apps you have installed. So if you don't have Netflix installed, then it will not show up in searches.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I've looked into this and I may be wrong, but this still doesn't solve the dual-income problem. Not every family is set-up to where there is 1 breadwinner or 1 person in control. Most families probably have 2 adults that are equals and have their own bank accounts.

This also locks out the Apple TV in roommate situations. Family Sharing is highly flawed and assumes a 1950s family scenario.

I don't think there's anything "1950's family" about that solution; my family isn't and we use it. All it requires is that one member of the "family" attach a credit card to their Apple ID and trust the other members of the "family" to make responsible iTunes purchases against it (there are parental controls that put an approval process in place before a purchase is made, intended for children but could be used for any party that the card holder doesn't fully trust). Once an Apple ID holder with a credit card attached has enabled family sharing they can invite anyone (up to a limit of six people I believe, so maybe larger families could have trouble there) and from that point forward any iTunes product that has enabled family sharing (from my experience that's most of them) can be downloaded to any member device without additional charge. That includes all the iTunes purchases you made prior to enabling the feature.

In your scenario either you or your boyfriend could enable family sharing and invite the other party. Presumably there would be trust that the other party would not abuse the credit card attached to the account but if that trust doesn't exist just identify them as a "child" and they'll need approvals. Download all your content to one account (or both) and never worry about switching your Apple TV back and forth again.

Nuclear family not required. :)

Hope that helps.

Reactions: sinsin07

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
My issue with this feature is if you aren't search a particular movie (i.e. "Show me comedies from the 90's") it shows you a whole slew of movies with no immediate way of knowing what app has it. You need to click on each individual movie to see if it's available on Netflix, or HBO, or anything else besides iTunes. There should be a way of filtering by app or at least identifying which app (or if there is any app) that can play the movie/show in addition to iTunes.
You can search based on provider as well. You can say "Show me comedies from the 90s on Netflix"

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I asked Siri Remote to go to The X-Files the other day, she indicated nothing was found, I had to ask about a dozen times and when she finally showed results it was for the old episodes and movies available on Netflix, but would not show results for iTunes and I even paid for the new X-Files miniseries (unfortunately).

So, Siri working about on-par with low expectations for not being able to find a current popular title on Apple's own content service; I doubt adding more channels and app search will make the feature any better.

To be honest I can find stuff faster without voice search, especially when the service is being petulant and willfully ignorant. I don't want cute answers and comebacks, I just want the feature to work.
[doublepost=1454947024][/doublepost]
Thank goodness I live in the EU with a UK Apple Store account so I don't ever have to see any Fox garbage appear on my TV.

Lol, I thought 6 episodes of pretentious boring garbage was what the UK audience was mostly interested in.

Topcat668

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2016
My issue with this feature is if you aren't search a particular movie (i.e. "Show me comedies from the 90's") it shows you a whole slew of movies with no immediate way of knowing what app has it. You need to click on each individual movie to see if it's available on Netflix, or HBO, or anything else besides iTunes. There should be a way of filtering by app or at least identifying which app (or if there is any app) that can play the movie/show in addition to iTunes.
[doublepost=1455454369][/doublepost]You can tell Siri "show me comedies from The 90's on Netflix" and you'll only get Netflix movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.