Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The universal search functionality on the latest Apple TV recently saw NBC added to the list of content providers included in results in the United States. The addition is part of an ongoing expansion that most recently saw CBS added last month.

apple_tv_search_nbc.jpg

Universal search on the Apple TV allows users to search for content using Siri or text entry and see a list of providers offering a given movie or TV show. For providers that offer only certain seasons of a show, those limitations are reflected on the results screen.

With the addition of NBC, apps for all four major U.S. networks are now included in universal search, as well as iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Disney's suite of TV channels, Showtime, PBS, Starz, Nat Geo, and FX. In most other countries, only iTunes content is currently supported, while Netflix is also supported in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom.

Article Link: Apple TV's Universal Search Adds Support for NBC

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The Apple TV really needs a way to unify favorites across all the video apps via Siri. I wish I could say "show me new episodes" and it will populate all the newest of shows I put on a list.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
The Apple TV really needs a way to unify favorites across all the video apps via Siri. I wish I could say "show me new episodes" and it will populate all the newest of shows I put on a list.

You can ask Siri for the latest episode of any TV series. Example: "Watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones".
[doublepost=1464104148][/doublepost]Hopefully, at WWDC, Apple finally opens Siri to third party apps.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
You can ask Siri for the latest episode of any TV series. Example: "Watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones".
[doublepost=1464104148][/doublepost]Hopefully, at WWDC, Apple finally opens Siri to third party apps.

I know this. But what I am hoping is when I turn on my Apple TV, it shows me on the home page all the newest content I have on a list across apps.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I know this. But what I am hoping is when I turn on my Apple TV, it shows me on the home page all the newest content I have on a list across apps.
Me too. And everyone I talk to about the Apple TV wants the same thing. Like the Hulu Watch List (mostly) but for ALL Apps.

Reactions: seamusk

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Universal search is a slower process for me in Hulu than loading my watchlist.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Let's see who gets SEARCH first: Plex or home sharing ?

That's all I want on the Apple TV... to search the movies and music on my home share, and ONLY my home share.

If "Top Gun" is sitting in my home shared iTunes library, and I search the ATV for "Top Gun", why the **** would I want to stream it, or buy it again and stream it, or rent it and stream it?! I don't want to stream it, I own it! It's on my computer downstairs! Does Apple think we all have gigabit fiber with no data caps run to our homes?

Reactions: bergert

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Universal search is a slower process for me in Hulu than loading my watchlist.

Hulu is awfully slow on the apple tv. Siri doesn't work for Hulu unless Hulu has recently been open. If it hasn't, Hulu will take its usual 30-60 seconds to load then just end up at the home page instead of the show or movie I asked siri to find. If Hulu has been open recently, Siri is able to work since Hulu doesn't need to load.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
PLEX, pretty sure Apple doesn't give a **** about your local NAS.
Too niche.
Too advanced.

Rather buy and rent from the overpriced iTunes Store or consider the alternatives that put their apps on Apple TV, where again, Apple gets a cut.

Your DVD and BR rips are a thorn in Apple's margin, so why help you enrich that experience?

*sigh*
I want Front Row and Perian back.

Perian or just opening up to mkv, 10bit color, DTS audio, H.265, ...
The signs are clear that Apple doesn't care about your local media.
Well, at least not to the point of maturing the experience.

Look how high up on their priority list Home Share is:
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/01/ios-84-home-sharing/

They took their sweet time fixing that.

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
PLEX, pretty sure Apple doesn't give a **** about your local NAS.Glassed Silver:mac

I know you're right - I started buying music in 2003 and after 13 years it's time: all good things come to an end. And the aTV I bought in 2007 has the same bugs like the one of today: doesn't airplay music video's (audio) to my AirPortExpress speakers - and doesn't show the year of the album - because they don't **** care !

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
That's all I want on the Apple TV... to search the movies and music on my home share, and ONLY my home share.

If "Top Gun" is sitting in my home shared iTunes library, and I search the ATV for "Top Gun", why the **** would I want to stream it, or buy it again and stream it, or rent it and stream it?! I don't want to stream it, I own it! It's on my computer downstairs! Does Apple think we all have gigabit fiber with no data caps run to our homes?

Siri only searches content on the web or local to your device. You can't use Siri on your phone to search homeSharing right now can you? Siri has always been sandboxed to the device its on.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Siri only searches content on the web or local to your device. You can't use Siri on your phone to search homeSharing right now can you? Siri has always been sandboxed to the device its on.

I see no reason why the ATV couldn't index your home shared iTunes library an let SIRI search that... on the ATV. It essentially already caches your library every time you scroll through your home shared movies/music/tv shows. Just search that! Or, kick of a script that stores a local index of your shared iTunes library every time you start the ATV. There are ways they could make it work.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I see no reason why the ATV couldn't index your home shared iTunes library an let SIRI search that... on the ATV. It essentially already caches your library every time you scroll through your home shared movies/music/tv shows. Just search that! Or, kick of a script that stores a local index of your shared iTunes library every time you start the ATV. There are ways they could make it work.

Well then it should also work for any other device connected to your network that has Siri, right?

Siri is SANDBOXED.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Hulu is awfully slow on the apple tv. Siri doesn't work for Hulu unless Hulu has recently been open. If it hasn't, Hulu will take its usual 30-60 seconds to load then just end up at the home page instead of the show or movie I asked siri to find. If Hulu has been open recently, Siri is able to work since Hulu doesn't need to load.

Yeap that is why I was referring that Siri assistance is not something I use. Does it do the same w other apps that have the Siri search?

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I wonder if the current Siri implementation can even do this. So far all the apps that have Siri integrated have a list of shows maintained on a central server. I'm guessing that the indexing is done via the back-end server and pushed to Siri servers at Apple. Even with all the content available via Hulu and Netflix, this is still a fairly small list. If every implementation of Plex or Home Sharing needed to send its unique list to a Siri server, that data set would grow exponentially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.