Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Today's page one rumors talk about new Apple TV firmware and the 2nd generation iPad having USB and a built-in camera. Plus, I'm reading forum comments about Apple standardizing FaceTime across its iOS devices.

I'm wondering what you all think about the possibility of Apple utilizing the USB port on the back of the new Apple TV for a USB camera and including FaceTime as part of its OS.

Thoughts?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It would be great if Apple would execute a bit of an update and normalize that USB port. As you should know, USB goodies are abundant and offer all kinds of potential upside. For example, along with your idea, a normal USB port could bring back local storage options for those that would like to sync their content, rather than streaming everthing- just hook up whatever size USB storage you desire.

Assuming an App store is coming, a normal USB port could let a company like Elgato pair some of their USB harware with an app to add DVR functionality, local TV tuners for free over-the-air network HD programming, etc. Some people wish it had a BD option; a normalized USB and a third party hardware player could add that as an option. Etc.

All that said, the old :apple:TV also came with a USB port deemed "for service only"- just like the new one. It was launched in 2006, and we've had a version of "face time" called "iChat" since that time. 4 years later- unless you go with hacks to extend USB functionality- it is still officially for service only.

Based solely on that track record, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. It's easy to imagine the applications if Apple would do it, but after 4 years of imagining the same applications, I'm a bit cynical that we'll get a different result this time.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
I think the Apple TV needs and App Store and that FaceTime over Apple TV would be a killer app!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.