Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

van2010rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
So i am making a PC media unit with Itunes and a 1tb drive just dedicated to Music and video. But if i was going to do all this hard work i thought about getting a Apple Tv but the dang hard drive is too small. I do not wish to stream the content because i would like to take it on vacation to me. So the question is how to i get the usb port "unlocked" to install the external hard drive. I have a Pc so i can't run Terminal like the Macs can. So i don't know what to do. All the instructions are for Macs. Will the Atv usb creator do the job or no? If not how the heck would i unlock it.

van2010rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Windows
Thanks for that except it's not really what i'm looking for. Yes it will give me the mac method, but instead of downloading it is there a way to do it from a download or a patchstick?

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
AppleTV runs on a Special Version of os x. So you still need to use OS X commands.
Check my signature- this Tool helps you to accomplish what you want to do

hardkoreprawn

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
You'd need something like TransMac to format the drive though.

The actual commands when you connect will be the same, you may need some OSX files though.

van2010rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Thank You to all. I think i might just leave it for now. i will finish the media unit and then go from there. Won't have enough money, might buy a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.