Apple Tv usb port external hard drive expansion questions?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by van2010rulz, Jun 14, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

So i am making a PC media unit with Itunes and a 1tb drive just dedicated to Music and video. But if i was going to do all this hard work i thought about getting a Apple Tv but the dang hard drive is too small. I do not wish to stream the content because i would like to take it on vacation to me. So the question is how to i get the usb port "unlocked" to install the external hard drive. I have a Pc so i can't run Terminal like the Macs can. So i don't know what to do. All the instructions are for Macs. Will the Atv usb creator do the job or no? If not how the heck would i unlock it.

2. macrumors 68020

3. macrumors regular

Thanks for that except it's not really what i'm looking for. Yes it will give me the mac method, but instead of downloading it is there a way to do it from a download or a patchstick?

4. macrumors regular

The ATV USB does not support an external drive?

5. macrumors 6502a

AppleTV runs on a Special Version of os x. So you still need to use OS X commands.
    Check my signature- this Tool helps you to accomplish what you want to do

6. macrumors newbie

You'd need something like TransMac to format the drive though.

The actual commands when you connect will be the same, you may need some OSX files though.

7. macrumors regular

Thank You to all. I think i might just leave it for now. i will finish the media unit and then go from there. Won't have enough money, might buy a mac.