Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanaku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
What would be the better way to get my iTunes content over to the big screen, Mac Mini or Apple TV?

Here’s a handy table comparing the two products (information on the Apple TV was found at Ars Technica citing AppleInsider).
Apple TV :
Price: $299
Audio Output : HDMI, optical audio, analog RCA stereo audio
Hard Drive: 40GB
CD/DVD: None
Processor: 1.0GHz Pentium underclocked on a 350MHz bus
RAM: 256MB of 400MHz DDR2
Software (selected): Apple TV interface (modified Front Row)
Video RAM : nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 Video Memory
Wireless Features: 802.11b, g, n
Weight: 2.4lbs
Video Output: HDMI, component video

Mac mini:
Price: $599
Audio Output: Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
Hard Drive: 60GB
CD/DVD: Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Processor: 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
RAM:512MB (Video RAM shares this RAM)
Software (selected): Mac OS X, iLife, Front Row
Video RAM: Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
Wireless Features: 802.11b, g and Bluetooth 2.0
Weight: 2.9lbs
Video Output: DVI, VGA with included adapter, S-Video and composite video with optional adapter

I am sure there are more considerations to ponder in making your decision, but if you get lost or confused just ask yourself, “What do I want to do with this thing?” Once you know the use of the product, you may have a clearer idea of what to chose.

Well, what should you get?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
well, if i plan to stream media to my TV wirelessly, i would get the :apple:TV. If I want a computer, I'd get the mac mini.

They are two different machines with two end purposes in mind.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
The Apple tv has the big advantage that you only need one media server for various locations. So one computer can serve the Apple tv in your bedroom, your living room, etc.

The Mac mini has the advantage that you can play more than just iTunes content.

It's all about your needs, not really the specs alone.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The Apple tv has the big advantage that you only need one media server for various locations. So one computer can serve the Apple tv in your bedroom, your living room, etc.

You'd still need an :apple: TV in each location. The Mac mini has the advantage of being able to play not only more than iTunes-compatible content, but access to email, the web, etc.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
For me it comes down to be able to add an over the air ATSC tuner... and record... the mini can do that... the :apple: tv can't... maybe someone will find a work around as it does have a usb port... but i'll just be playing wait and see now till at least the summer... sucks though... would love to buy one or the other now

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
You'd still need an :apple: TV in each location. The Mac mini has the advantage of being able to play not only more than iTunes-compatible content, but access to email, the web, etc.

But an :apple: tv is cheaper than a Mac mini.

As I said it is about your needs. If you need internet in the rooms get a Mac mini, if you don't just get an :apple: tv.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a

So the Apple TV won't stream iPhoto? It will only stream media from iTunes?

If so, then there's no way I'd buy an Apple TV. We look at our iPhoto library as much as listen to iTunes.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
So the Apple TV won't stream iPhoto? It will only stream media from iTunes?

If so, then there's no way I'd buy an Apple TV. We look at our iPhoto library as much as listen to iTunes.

Yes, it does stream photos too. What it doesn't stream though is your video folder in your home directory or play DVDs or run the internet.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I have seen quite a few of these threads. :rolleyes:

They are two completely different products designed to do completely different things. However the MacMini can also do what the :apple: TV does but not as well as it is not dedicated to that purpose.

The only similarities they have is the footprint.

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
I faced the same question 3 weeks ago and bought a mini, here is why.

hooked up to a HD Lcd tv I can use the mini as a computer as well
and
the mini has a built in up converting dvd player and a cd player
and
with the addition of a large external hard drive and some free software I am able to "back up" my dvds onto the external hard drive meaninig that I can watch 50+ of the dvds I own in dvd quality without ever leaving the sofa. apple tv is great if you actually plan to invest in downloading movies and content from itunes but if you already have a substantial dvd collection it doesnt offer much.
and
within a year or so I should be able to buy a reasonably affordable bluray or hd-dvd player/burner and hook it up to the mini and back up these dvds as well.

a mini can easily work as a media hub and computer comprable to a several thousand dollar escient home media center whereas an appletv is simply a way to stream content to your home theatre

as for price you pay 279 more for a mini than an apple tv and while this is substantial its not that bad considering the added abilities of the mini in an era when people are willing to drop 600-700 dollars on a game console that isn't much more than a game console.

also the mini like tha apple tv can stream content from all your other computers

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
For me it comes down to be able to add an over the air ATSC tuner... and record... the mini can do that... the tv can't... maybe someone will find a work around as it does have a usb port... but i'll just be playing wait and see now till at least the summer... sucks though... would love to buy one or the other now
I already have Eye TV Hybrid on my iMac which allows me to watch, record etc. TV. I will be able to stream recorded content via :apple: TV but.....

TV tuner cards have their *major* drawbacks. Visual quality is *never* as good as, for instance, digital cable and the *only* HD content you can view and/or record with a TV tuner card is OTA stuff. I am much happier watching my pristine digital/HD signal without it being essentially degraded to craptastic analog quality. PVR stuff? I leave it to my DVR. :)

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
I already have Eye TV Hybrid on my iMac which allows me to watch, record etc. TV. I will be able to stream recorded content via :apple: TV but.....

TV tuner cards have their *major* drawbacks. Visual quality is *never* as good as, for instance, digital cable and the *only* HD content you can view and/or record with a TV tuner card is OTA stuff. I am much happier watching my pristine digital/HD signal without it being essentially degraded to craptastic analog quality. PVR stuff? I leave it to my DVR. :)

The TV mini HD and the Elgato 500 both have QAM tuners so that you can receive unencrypted HD over cable. I have this for my LCD TV and get the digital networks that I would get over the air. I've heard that some get more than this. Anyway, I can't comment on their quality, but it seems that if the source is digital and the tuner is digital, there should be in theory no loss of quality. If I had the money to blow, I'd buy a Mini, a TV mini HD, and have my DVD/Web station/TV recorder in my living room. Add an iSight, and I can have a video chat from my couch (which currently doesn't seem to be a feature of the iTV.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This is silly. Mac mini is better than Apple TV in almost every way, except for the price. That said, there are few caveats.
  1. Although Mac mini isn't exactly complicated, Apple TV will be easier to setup and use in your living room.
  2. Perhaps Front Row will be as functional in 10.5 (Leopard), but for now, Apple TV is more capable than 10.4's Front Row.
  3. Mac mini practically requires wireless keyboard and mouse to be used in the living room/home theater setup (Apple should offer MacBook Pro-style Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad).
  4. 512MB RAM on Mac mini is not enough for smooth experience.
In a perfect world, everyone will spend over twice as much for Mac mini ($599 + more RAM + wireless keyboard and mouse). It's more powerful, has a DVD drive, can play almost every audio and video formats, has snazzy home theater-friendly Dashboard widgets, etc. Although it pales in comparison to dedicated gaming consoles, it can double as a gaming device even.

But Apple TV costs less than half. I find Apple TV to be too limiting for my home theater (needs 5.1-channel audio and 1080p), but perhaps an update will resolve any barriers.

hanaku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
That seems lots of pepole interest in this topic,
but if we buy one of Apple TV, does that mean we can download movies anywhere (such as FreeMovieNow or EZMovies) on the iMac, and then watch them on our widescreen tv?

Or, do we have to purchase movies and tv shows from the iTunes store in order to watch them on the tv with the Apple TV dealie?

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
I would have to go for the mac mini. Apple could have added a dvd player to the apple TV and replaced everything one would need in thier living room. Instead they are limiting the playback to itunes content. Apple is an amazing company, but steve's "invisible hand" tends to ruins a products full potential. The iphone and apple tv are great examples. 10 years from now, when a physical content medium is more trouble then it is worth, the apple TV will be were it is all at. Until then, the mac mini is the best of all worlds.

Go ahead, flame me now. :p But if you don't believe me, you better start looking for another Steve, because he won't live forever. And if he alone is apple, we should all fear because there will never be new G5 powerbooks next Tuesday.

flashphire

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
Nah, they both clearly have their places. Mac Minis are powerful and pretty cheap, but I've got to say I'm looking to buy an AppleTV. A Mac Mini is just overkill in comparison and that extra money could go to buying something else (DVD player?).

I just can't wait until the AppleTV linux comes out, and all the other Hacky's.

davede70

macrumors member
May 8, 2006
I have been weighing both of these as well. I am leaning more towards the MacMini because I would like to turn it into a PVR as well. But since my own burned dvds won't play in 5.1 sound, I am just going to have to stick to Tivo and a dvd player.

I just can't wait until the AppleTV linux comes out, and all the other Hacky's.

I was thinking this same thing. It will be interesting to see what the nerds will be able to do to the MacMini. They are our only hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.